HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Let's Talk Mustache Wax..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:52 pm

So for years I've been incorrectly grooming my stache. A razor or a trimmer is not your hairy friends friend. I've decided to quit doing it wrong... So.. I blindly bought a tin of Dandy Candy Moustache Wax. I'll let you know my thoughts when it arrives.

How 'bout you? Do you use it? Any favorite brands,tips, etc?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:55 pm

I use this locally-made stuff that's a mixture of beeswax, olive oil and a hint of peppermint (or tea-tree, something). I hardly use it because I'm not necessarily "styling" my 'stache, but it keeps the fly-a-ways from looking goofy or shooting straight up my nose.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:58 pm

I don't normally use any but, when I do I use the Cook Bates stick, not that tube junk.
Not that ones any better then the other, just that it works for me better. Some prefer the tins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Kyle I imagine the whole point is shaping, so 'keeping fly always out of my nose' qualifys.

My whole deal is it's always getting wet when I drink and then when I cut it back I've got all those prickly ends.

Cart is that some kind of 'drug store blend' ? You have to forgive my ignorance I'm a total noob.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:23 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Kyle I imagine the whole point is shaping, so 'keeping fly always out of my nose' qualifys.

My whole deal is it's always getting wet when I drink and then when I cut it back I've got all those prickly ends.

Cart is that some kind of 'drug store blend' ?  You have to forgive my ignorance I'm a total noob.

Yeah, most likely, as I said I don't use it much and I've had it for years. It also depends on how your applying it. There's a good video on Youtube.
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:10 pm

I've used several brands over the years and had a friend recently ask me what I would recommend to him. I wrote a brief pro and con description of the ones I've used. I'll copy/paste it here. Hopefully it helps you out.

Fisticuffs
pros- pretty neutral color, pleasant lemon scent, easy to work, they include a cool sticker!
cons- weak hold, can smell like old wax later in the day.
I use Fisticuffs to hold stray hairs down but not to achieve the curls.

Firehouse (Tacky)
pros- superior hold that can last for days and can even hold up through a hot shower, pretty neutral in color, nice honey scent
cons- hard to work especially on cold days, forget trying to get it out of your stache quickly, relatively expensive

Ourea
pros- very similar in hold and texture to Fisticuffs, very fascinating sandalwood scent, from a small company with excellent service
cons- weak hold, relatively expensive, can clump if not blended well.

Clubman
pros-cheap! water soluble, nice hold, different colors, easy to apply, includes a little comb
cons- colour can get everywhere especially the black (hands, counter, towels), washes out easily and colour will bleed if wet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Have to agree with ya on the Clubman Jesse, I used the neutral and the colored once.
Doesn't hold for me (more lanolin then wax?) and what a mess with the colored. 5)
Back to top Go down
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:36 pm

While I do not have a mustache, I always recommend Bee Keepers Gold.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/natural-beeswax-mineral-oil-wood-preserver-tin/
It is a special blend of beeswax and mineral oil that I have used successfully on soapstone and leather items.
I am sure that it would work great on a mustache and it has so many other uses...not to mention that it is also food safe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:56 am

puros_bran wrote:

Sorta, depends on how long your 'stache is. I keep mine pretty short (just less than 1") and I'll slather some wax on it once in a while, run a comb down it, and off I go. The wax will help prevent snot, drinks, food and nesting birds from being a nuisance.

Clubman's works well, I just didn't like the feel or application of it. The stuff I use comes in a chapstick-like tube and gets applied directly. I barely have to touch it.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:09 pm

So, an update.

Dandy Candy by Petal Pushers.. Love the scent, limited experiance but head and shoulders above the other product I used. I have to hit it with the hair dryer once it's on... Not long, but still. The biggest negative is that it's now sold through Phoinex Artisan Accoutraments and I'll never do business with those people again. Ordered on the 7th, got a false 'shipping notice' on the 9th, product actually shipped on the 12th, I got it on the 19th.. Unacceptable. I emailed a simple note basically saying 'hey it's been a minute, what's going on' and got a ridiculous email in return about how it's my fault BECAUSE I didn't read the fine print stating it can take up to two weeks to recieve the product.. Hmmmm. Okay, hopefully they read the small print that westcoast shaving, bullgoose, classic shaving, and even Connaught (located in the UK) can get anything I order to me in days, not weeks..so. No more Dandy Candy for me.. And oh yeah, I won't be buying PAA shaving soap either. Small print is a bitch, no? Lol.

The 'Other Product'. I got impatient and bought some Clubman at the beauty salon supply store.. It's biggest Pro is that it's easy to apply. It stinks, and it gobs the hair into clumps.. But it's easy to apply and you don't have to wait two weeks to get it.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the wax idea and it does seem to be working the intended purpose.. Now I need to find a decent balm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:19 pm

Balm?
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:39 pm

Beard Balm. Kinda like an oil but it's got Shea butter and beeswax in it to provide some hold.   Honestly I couldn't care less about the oil aspect but My goatee is curling to the left..  It's either cut it or do something to train it, and hairspray makes me go into fits... To many years hauling chemicals have made me sensitive to that crap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:30 am

puros_bran wrote:
Beard Balm.  Kinda like an oil but it's got Shea butter and beeswax in it to provide some hold.   Honestly I couldn't care less about the oil aspect but My goatee is curling to the left..  It's either cut it or do something to train it, and hairspray makes me go into fits... To many years hauling chemicals have made me sensitive to that crap.

Quite sleeping on your right side. Wink
I know this might sound funny but, to keep my mustache from look'en
really bad I only sleep with my temples touching the pillow to keep
me from laying on my mustache. Before I did that I always had problems
with the left side of it being I use to sleep on my left side all the time,
now it's which ever side will let me. Wink
Back to top Go down
PozzSka

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:55 am

I really like Hndlbars Moustache Wax ( but I just looked and their website it down and their ebay page is empty, so they must not be doing that anymore).

Bummer

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
SnuffnStuff

Registration date : 2015-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Just gonna jump right in here... lol!

I'm a Clubman fan myself... I go with the natural to avoid the mess. My wife whipped up a small batch of home made wax a while back... bees wax and some other stuff. Worked great, lasted all day and smelled pretty darn good too... now that I think about it I should pester her to make some more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Considering I try and follow the K.I.S.S. principle in life, 'stash wax is more stuff to deal with and besides i have a full toothbrush 'satsh that doesn't need wax !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
EricTKT

Registration date : 2014-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:51 am

I have only just recently begun using stache wax on a regular basis due to a career change, and I'm using Dandy Candy Mustache Trainer. However, I will agree with Jesse that the Fisticuffs is weak on hold, but will keep the strays at bay. While I have not used the Firehouse Wax myself, Jesse, you say it can be hard to remove. Ive recently been using beard oil every night on my stache, not only is it keeping it noticeably healthier, and this could be common knowledge I'm just not entirely sure. When you apply it to a waxed stache (heavy or light wax) and let it sit, the oil breaks down the wax and you can run a comb through it a few times and the wax is gone. The oil still on the hairs continues to break down the wax, come morning, you've got a healthy and wax-free stache ready for the new day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:02 am

Dandy candy dried out on me within a month of purchasing.

Fisticuffs is sitting right next to it as waxy as ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:35 am

Yours too,PB? I was liking Dandy Candy for a while. Thought it would be perfect for winter, then misplaced it. Found it two days ago under my hamper and noticed it was a lot harder than I remembered. That was also the day the temperature dropped about 15 degrees, so I chalked it up to that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:42 am

Purdy name that doesn't lead to a purdy mouf.. How's a guy gonna squeal like a pig if he ain't got a purdy mouf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:47 am

Eric, you're right about the oil. I tried the Petal Pusher wax remover and immediately noticed it smelled exactly like this Badger beard oil I had. Tried both, side by side, on my stache thoroughly waxed with Firehouse Tacky and the results were the same. About a minute later I could comb it with the microscopic Clubman comb, then washed it out with some pine tar soap and there was no trace of the wax.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:49 am

Purdy mouf would be a good name for a mustache wax. Goes well with Cock Grease.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:10 pm

I tried to "fix" my Dandy Candy by melting it in its tin on the coffee maker. Now I've got a shrunken block of hard candle wax rattling around in the tin. How can they get away with selling this stuff? This knocks Stachebomb off the bottom of the list for me.
I wanted to like Fisticuffs. I like the slider style pocket tins, and its one of the few that offer a Bay Rum scent, and hey, free zombie pirate sticker. It just doesn't have any hold.
Fisticuffs Stronghold is better, for a medium hold, but the "citrus" scent makes me nauseous. It smells like artificial powdered lemonade drink mix. More specifically, it's a fist sized lump of lemonade mix, hard as quartz, rattling around in its cardboard can in a refugee camp outside of Knoxville Tennessee in the summer of 82.
To be fair, it wasn't a refugee camp, but a campground. To really fair, it was a parking lot, not a campground. Dad thought it would be fun to camp out and go to the World's Fair. So did about 8,000 other people crammed into a treeless acre of gravel on the edge of town, with weather alternating between blazing sun and pouring rain. Plus it was Knoxville, which somehow makes everything worse. I was 20 the next time I was back. Went to an Aerosmith concert and left with crablice. So ef Knoxville and ef Fisticuffs for making me think of Knoxville. Your mileage may vary.

Fisticuffs: for people who never got crabs in Knoxville.

That reminds me, I miss Beelejazz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordechaj

Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:24 am

Making your own beard balm is not overly difficult, and I had the luck to have my girlfriend make it for me Razz

Mix shea and coconut butter, some almond oil and a bit of beeswax*, then add essential oils (we had quite a bit of a problem finding cat-safe ones), and done! It helps to make the beard more presentable, not just like a recently-groomed hobo. Very Happy

For quite some time I thought that I won't need it, but after I decided to grow it more than 2+cm (~1 in) - it becomes a neccessity.

*More beeswax for more hold, if desired, but at a certain point it ceases to be a balm and turns into beard-wax then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Mustache Wax..   Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:05 pm

OK, I periodically change my face; no facial hair, full beard, trim, full beard long (3 - 4 inches down fromchin, 19th century style), goatee with without stache.  Now I've got just a stache, and for the first time I've grown it out to handlebar proportions.

Firehouse wax.  Only a little bit at atime.  The biggest problem I've run into is knowing or not knowing how exactly to trim it.  I hatelike hell getting a bunch of long curly hairs which at times means I've no choice but to heavily wax them and twist them together and curl.  Always a last resort.

Last January and February I had the best curly handlebar stache.  It was curled so naturally and long as well.  My wife, always a killer when it comes to fun facial hair, told me it was looking too cartoonish and I had to trim it back.  I trimmed it with out being in the proper head and ended up cutting some nice, curled long batches of haircompletely short.  ARGH!  

I mentioned I was growing my stache out.  right now it's wider than before, has a nice thick curl at the ends, but there's no drastic "big loops" anymore.

Eric TKT:  You mentioned Beard Oil.  I've been most interested in using this on my stache as well as saving some up for the inevitable beard to come in the future.  What brand out of the many that are out there do you use and recomnmnend?  And please, brothers, feel free to chime in with your experience and recommendations as well.

Many Thanks - S13

ps - No I wantto go back and watch thoseinteresting lookingvideoes...............
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Let's Talk Mustache Wax..
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next