HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

pipe depreciation?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:27 am

tarheel7734 wrote:
Watch the video please and let me know if it is still off. If so that changes value.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=152758

Yep! Looks the same in the video to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:32 am

Guess so. Here is my Northern Briars.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:35 am

tarheel7734 wrote:
Its a ferndown 3* bent bulldog in root with tapered cumberland stem.

According to your profile, your other pipe is also a Ferndown. Why do you want to buy another one?

And I agree with Ron, the stem is all wrong, makes the pipe looks like something with a broken back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:37 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
tarheel7734 wrote:
Its a ferndown 3* bent bulldog in root with tapered cumberland stem.

According to your profile, your other pipe is also a Ferndown.  Why do you want to buy another one?

And I agree with Ron, the stem is all wrong, makes the pipe looks like something with a broken back.

I had 3 ferndowns in the past and i want to replace them. I am fond of British pipes including Ferndowns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:40 am

With THAT obviuos DEFECT in the bit why are you even considering it! It's not PERFECT ( at least in your mind, from your response to this terible flaw!) I still say, when horse trading , or pipe trading, YOU want to CONTROL the dollar amount being considered! Make an offer so low he would have to respond back with what HE thinks it's worth and THEN decide if you want to cntinue ! But if it was me I wouldn't bid on it as it's got the bit ALL wrong for that style of pipe . It needs to be a fishtailed SADDLE BIT !! cheers cheers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tarheel7734

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:52 am

monbla256 wrote:
With THAT obviuos DEFECT in the bit why are you even considering it! It's not PERFECT ( at least in your mind, from your response to this terible flaw!) I still say, when horse trading , or pipe trading, YOU want to CONTROL the dollar amount being considered! Make an offer so low he would have to respond back with what HE thinks it's worth and THEN decide if you want to cntinue ! But if it was me I wouldn't bid on it as it's got the bit ALL wrong for that style of pipe . It needs to be a fishtailed SADDLE BIT !! cheers cheers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I am passing on it. I have an order in with Mr Wood for 3 pipes. Not sure when they will be done as one is a root.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:30 am

tarheel7734 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

I am passing on it. I have an order in with Mr Wood for 3 pipes. Not sure when they will be done as one is a root.

If you've ever made a wise decision, this is it!! cheers

If I knew what I know now, 30+ years ago, I would not have owned ONE factory made pipe.

There is just NOTHING that can beat a handcrafted pipe by a master carver Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:06 pm

I think the 50-70% margin is probably about right. Monbla is right about the low balling idea though. It may not be worth that much to you, or that much in general. It may have been worth full price to the guy when he bought it, and is now worth less. Either way, it's a used pipe as far as I would be concerned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:58 pm

It's probably an illusion, I've seen a lot of stems look off in photo's but are perfect when you see them. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: pipe depreciation?   Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:06 am

daveinlax wrote:

It's probably an illusion, I've seen a lot of stems look off in photo's but are perfect when you see them. Shocked

Well the illusion carried over into the video too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

pipe depreciation?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2