HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Rattrays

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Rattrays   Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:36 pm

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/telecha/rattraysbooklet.pdf

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Rattrays   Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Chas. Rattray seems to shoot a hole in the whole "aging in airtight containers" practice we've come to accept. Lol.

Monbla always says people wanted fresh tobacco back then, not aged stuff.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Rattrays   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:25 pm

MisterE wrote:
Chas. Rattray seems to shoot a hole in the whole "aging in airtight containers" practice we've come to accept. Lol.

Back in the late '60s to late '70s,if a retailer had any stock left on their shelves for much more than 3 mo's and you'd find it on sale as it was considered "old stock" !! Most folks I smoked with then were always wanting "fresh" 'baccy ! This whole aging thing is new to me !! But I will have to say that Va's definatly do usually improve with age!! But we were smoking back in the "dark ages" back then and were not as educated about just what was smoking !! Twisted Evil  Hell some of us just smoked only ONE blend our whole lives Now how dumb is that !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Rattrays   Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:26 am

Very Cool! I've never seen this catalog before. This is the best link I've clicked on in a long time. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Rattrays   Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:06 am

Mark, that's just a great doc! Thanks for posting this!
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Rattrays   Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 am

monbla256 wrote:
MisterE wrote:

Back in the late '60s to late '70s,if a retailer had any stock left on their shelves for much more than 3 mo's and you'd find it on sale as it was considered "old stock" !! Most folks I smoked with then were always wanting "fresh" 'baccy ! This whole aging thing is new to me !! But I will have to say that Va's definatly do usually improve with age!! But we were smoking back in the "dark ages" back then and were not as educated about just what was smoking !! Twisted Evil  Hell some of us just smoked only ONE blend our whole lives Now how dumb is that !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

It was considered more like cigarette smoking back then I imagine. You had your brand and that was that! My grandpa smoked the Amphora blue. It was the only thing I ever saw around.

It's interesting that pipe tobacco has become more like wine now. I'd probably get bored I with one blend only. I'm glad I can switch around!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Rattrays   Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:57 pm

MisterE wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
MisterE wrote:

It was considered more like cigarette smoking back then I imagine. You had your brand and that was that! My grandpa smoked the Amphora blue. It was the only thing I ever saw around.

It's interesting that pipe tobacco has become more like wine now. I'd probably get bored I with one blend only. I'm glad I can switch around!

Nothing really stopped anyone from "ping-ponging", it just wasn't the "fashion" then as it is today !! Remember, a part of the WHY we do many things is to feed our IMAGE of ourselves and now days the fashionabel image is that of a "connoisseur" . Most of the emphisis back then was on WHAT PIPE you smoked !! Times change Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rattrays
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack :: Pipe History-
Jump to: