HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 I need a new percolator

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MichaelM

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Souderton, PA
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: I need a new percolator   Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 pm

After 15 years my beloved Farberware 12 cup percolator has ceased operation. Now before anyone suggests any wacky hipster presses or chemisty set drippers, I grew up drinking Eight-O-Clock coffee ground in a Kitchen Aid burr grinder and perked in a percolator, and that is what I drink now and will continue drinking. My dillema is that the Faberware brand has gone downhill over the past few years. I've done some searching on the net but nothing seems especially good or bad. So I thought it my be worthwhile asking if there are any percolator fans here and if you have any suggestions for a replacement percolator?
Thanks,
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Fr_Tom

avatar

Location : Diocese of Northern Indiana
Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 pm

I have a Presto which has worked well for a long time. I am very happy with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 pm

MichaelM wrote:
After 15 years my beloved Farberware 12 cup percolator has ceased operation. Now before anyone suggests any wacky hipster presses or chemisty set drippers, I grew up drinking Eight-O-Clock coffee ground in a Kitchen Aid burr grinder and perked in a percolator, and that is what I drink now and will continue drinking.  My dillema is that the Faberware brand has gone downhill over the past few years.  I've done some searching on the net but nothing seems especially good or bad.  So I thought it my be worthwhile asking if there are any percolator fans here and if you have any suggestions for a replacement percolator?
Thanks,
Mike.

Ya know you can pick one up on eBay for a reasonable price if you don't mind used/restored.
People actually collect the older and vintage appliances as I did. Should be able to pick up a nice one for less then half of what they want for one of those plastic POS nowadays. Wink
You'll find a lot under Collectibles>Kitchen & Home>Kitchenware>Small Appliances> Coffee Makers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
PozzSka

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Valley City, OH
Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:57 am

As the wacky hipster coffee roaster round these parts...

nah...I'm gonna leave this alone...

geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com
DireWolf

avatar

Age : 44
Location : NW Oregon
Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:05 pm

PozzSka wrote:
As the wacky hipster coffee roaster round these parts...

nah...I'm gonna leave this alone...

geek

As a "hipster" (Laughing) French press devotee, I did also, but - cool job, I bet.

PNW is the land of the coffee - I love it.

And beer.

Also good.

I think I see percolators in thrift stores and so forth these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Two years too late. I moved some of my parents' crap and several good ones from olden days (still in original boxes) got tossed. Run too hot for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

avatar

Location : Colorado
Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:35 pm

FYI... I have the 4-cup Faberware purchased in '08. Its still chugging along.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Souderton, PA
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:41 pm

Thanks all for the ideas. After some thought, I decided to order a new thermostat. The problem has to be that or the heating element, so for $10 I'll give it a try and see if I can resurect the old girl.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:44 pm

MichaelM wrote:
Thanks all for the ideas.  After some thought, I decided to order  a new thermostat.  The problem has to be that or the heating element, so for $10 I'll give it a try and see if I can resurect the old girl.
Mike.

Did you check the heating element for resistance, that should tell you if it's the culprit or not. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
MichaelM

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Souderton, PA
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
MichaelM wrote:
Thanks all for the ideas.  After some thought, I decided to order  a new thermostat.  The problem has to be that or the heating element, so for $10 I'll give it a try and see if I can resurect the old girl.
Mike.

Did you check the heating element for resistance, that should tell you if it's the culprit or not. Wink

That is now on my weekend to-do list!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:46 pm

Kuerig

_________________
"Pacem en Puffing!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DGErwin11

avatar

Age : 67
Location : Central GA USA
Registration date : 2012-05-20

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:12 am

I have a Presto 12 cup that I use rarely and a FarberWare 6 cup used daily. Both holding up well.

Consider one of the old timey ones (still in production) that you set on the eye of the stove. They are more convenient on a gas stove and they makes great coffee. But you have to keep an eye on them to avoid boiling over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://DGEHandmadePipes.com
MichaelM

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Souderton, PA
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:22 pm

I know y'all have been waiting for an update on my percolator lol!
I finally managed to get her running again yesterday and had my first pot of coffee from the resurected Faberware this morning.  I was able to find a replacement thermostat and heating element at www.Cerinicoffee.com.  it turned out when I checked the heating element at Cart's suggestion it was bad.  Oddly, the thermostat was also shot (I wonder if the thermostat failed first and caused the element to fry).  The job was a bit more trouble than I expected as the new element had different connectors from the old.  Swapping them off the old element was easy enough.  Put her back together and she perked cheers
I know it would have been much easier and probably about the same cost to toss it in the trash and buy a new pot.  I just can't walk away from something that is well made and served me so well.  
Thanks again for all the advice,
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:30 pm

MichaelM wrote:
I know y'all have been waiting for an update on my percolator lol!
I finally managed to get her running again yesterday and had my first pot of coffee from the resurected Faberware this morning.  I was able to find a replacement thermostat and heating element at www.Cerinicoffee.com.  it turned out when I checked the heating element at Cart's suggestion it was bad.  Oddly, the thermostat was also shot (I wonder if the thermostat failed first and caused the element to fry).  The job was a bit more trouble than I expected as the new element had different connectors from the old.  Swapping them off the old element was easy enough.  Put her back together and she perked cheers
I know it would have been much easier and probably about the same cost to toss it in the trash and buy a new pot.  I just can't walk away from something that is well made and served me so well.  
Thanks again for all the advice,
Mike.

Glad to hear ya got it back and perking for ya. I'm the same way, I never throw anything out I can repair. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Great outcome Mike! Far more satisfying than buying a replacement too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: I need a new percolator   Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:33 pm

DGErwin11 wrote:
I have a Presto 12 cup that I use rarely and a FarberWare 6 cup used daily. Both holding up  well.

Consider one of the old timey ones (still in production) that you set on the eye of the stove. They are more convenient on a gas stove and they makes great coffee. But you have to keep an eye on them to avoid boiling over.

I have a glass (Pyrex)10 cup that I've been using for the last 30 years that I use on my gas stove. And you do need to watch 'em but after using mine all these years I rarely have the boil over problem. I found mine in a hardware store that's still here in my 'hood and they still sell them as well as replacement metal grounds baskets that I've been thru a couple over the years. I've got one of those "drip" German coffee makers as well as a newer Kuereg that my daughter bought me a few years ago and I've never used, It's still sealed in the box and will stay there !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
I need a new percolator
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: