HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Nording Keystone Pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Nording Keystone Pipes   Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:11 pm

I was just at my B&M picking something up for Heath and ran across these.  Do any of you have one?  What do you think?  I'm curious if the rocks actually do anything or is this just a gimmick?

Keystone Pipes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Just my personal opinion, not owning one but, just my observation be it worth anything
to anyone else other then myself. It's a fairly inexpensive pipe but, I could see where the absorbent properties of the clay would stave off moisture and gurgle.
But, then again if a pipe is engineered properly and the smoker is educated in the proper
way to smoke a pipe I see no need for it and is just an added expense and trouble to endure. I personally would not waste my money or time with such a pipe.
But, also knowing how some aromatics and other blends can really gunk up a pipe I can see where some might get value out of the clay absorbent. That's my 2 cents in today's economy Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 pm

When I was starting with aros years ago, I used those keystones at the bottom of a briar, and they did help a good bit. Don't know about the pipes.

Simple Man is selling one for a great price with keystones in his sale thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Wow. Now that's an odd looking pipe. Not sure I could have one of those on the rack...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 pm

The Keystones are supposedly very porous and will soak up moisture in the heel of the bowl. They also keep the draught hole from getting blocked by a loose piece of tobacco. They've been around for a long time, but the pipe is a new product.

I've tried using regular pebbles as a grate before, but those won't absorb the moisture the way Keystones do.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:32 pm

MisterE wrote:
The Keystones are supposedly very porous and will soak up moisture in the heel of the bowl. They also keep the draught hole from getting blocked by a loose piece of tobacco. They've been around for a long time, but the pipe is a new product.

I've tried using regular pebbles as a grate before, but those won't absorb the moisture the way Keystones do.

Just drop some kitty litter in the heel of your bowl "E" and go for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:54 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
MisterE wrote:

Now there's a thought!! lol!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:06 pm

MisterE wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
MisterE wrote:

Now there's a thought!! lol!

Blech!

silent

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
d4klutz

Registration date : 2014-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:14 pm

I bought one of these a month ago at a B&M as they were on clearance. I don't like the pipe, but the keystones really work well. I have dropped a few of the stones in a briar and they do the job well. It helps when it is super humid out where I am.

The one thing I noticed, however, is that the keystones do change the taste of the baccy, but not in a bad way. I notice the most change in an aro. I think this is because the stones absorb the flavors from the smoke more. However, after about a half bowl, the flavor is not absorbed as much and can actually get to the ole tastebuds in mostly full force. I prefer to use the stones on straight (non aro)blends when ambient humidity is a problem.

As far as the pipe, goes, I think it is fine for a beginner, but I really don't like the fit or idea of the plastic base and stem. I much prefer my briars and good ole vulcanite stems. The pipes are light though. It makes a great beater pipe, and the base is easy to wash out with hot water, making cleanup a snap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://d4klutz.blogspot.com
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks guys. I was more curious than anything. They had the rocks in stock but were sold out of the pipes. Apparently they can't keep them in stock. They have been selling 15 a week for over a month now. It's a head scratcher for me, but there you go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Feazelle-n-it

Registration date : 2014-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Nording Keystone Pipes   Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:59 pm

I've got one. I like it. The keystones work great. I got mine a few months ago and I now have to order more stones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Nording Keystone Pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: