HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

"dumb"? pipe question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lysander

Registration date : 2014-11-15

PostSubject: "dumb"? pipe question   Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 am

In a few photos on ebay and other places, why are bent stems pointing upward or the "wrong way"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: "dumb"? pipe question   Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:54 am

Because the person listing them have no clue about pipes..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: "dumb"? pipe question   Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:08 am

Lysander wrote:
In a few photos on ebay and other places, why are bent stems pointing upward or the "wrong way"?

I have a theory about this in certain cases, and it may be completely wrong, but here goes...

How many people think the bent stem goes in that way? Are all of them on ebay selling pipes?

I think sometimes it is done intentionally to draw the eye and capture attention. It gives the impression that the vendor is clueless and may be selling a Dunhill as an "England" pipe. You think "W00t! Here is my chance to get a deal on a pipe that is not going to show up in searches because the vendor is an idiot!" If you click to check it out, the strategy worked.

Of course it could be that the vendor really is is clueless, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
NAJ_ile

Registration date : 2015-04-04

PostSubject: Re: "dumb"? pipe question   Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:51 pm

I have a pipe that has only a slight bend that i use primarily as a fishing pipe. Here in he PNW it rains a lot in the winter when i fish for steelhead, i frequently turn the stem around and smoke it upside down in order to keep raindrops out and goop down as God intended. Maybe these people all live in a rainforest somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: "dumb"? pipe question   Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:31 pm

NAJ_ile wrote:
I have a pipe that has only a slight bend that i use primarily as a fishing pipe.  Here in he PNW it rains a lot in the winter when i fish for steelhead, i frequently turn the stem around and smoke it upside down in order to keep raindrops out and goop down as God intended.  Maybe these people all live in a rainforest somewhere.

OF COURSE !! They couldn't ALL be THAT dumb!! All they need to do is check their APPS right ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: "dumb"? pipe question   Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:39 am

I've even seen this in antique shops. One opinion might be that if there turned in then the stem is less likely to stick out and catch on something (at least in an antique shop). And I've seen them turned in for shipping purposes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: "dumb"? pipe question   Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:37 pm

My guess is, that this style of pipe is being marketed to this crowd, who unfortunately were at some point bitten by a bat with rabies.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: "dumb"? pipe question   Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:18 am

There's no excuse for not fitting the stem properly when taking photos to advertise the pipe for sale, but I often store my pipes that way. Often a bent pipe can't make it into the rack unless you spin the stem around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lestrout

Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: "dumb"? pipe question   Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:13 pm

I once bought a nice Becker Rhodesian with the upsidedown stem - the seller didn't have many pipes, appearing to specialize in the knick knacks you might find at yard sales. It was less than $80 and had little traffic; I think the serious Becker buyers were scared off.

hp
les
Back to top Go down
View user profile

"dumb"? pipe question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1