HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Driving to Alaska

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Driving to Alaska   Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:10 am

I've wanted to drive to Alsaka since I was a kid and read about the military building the Al-Can Highway during WW II. Well, time, money, and a buddy to share the drive have come together and we'll leave Atlanta in mid-May, plan to be back mid-June.

Has anyone made the drive? I'm asking particularly about the Canadian part, as I know little about Canada. I have the Alaska route planned - Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Homer, Seward. Any thoughts or suggestions about Canada or Alaska will be appreciated - lodging, sights to see, restaurants, etc.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Driving to Alaska   Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:23 am

I rode a motorcycle from Tennessee to Fairbanks ( and back) in the 90's. I had a great time.

Get a copy of Mileposts. I found it to be a great resource.

The flies and mosquitos are significantly worse than they tell you. I was camping and so just dealt with them. The locals seem to favor smudge pots to run them off.

Alaska is on its own schedule really. You can't be too OCD about sticking to a schedule. If you stop having fun, it is probably because you are pushing the pace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371 Online
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Driving to Alaska   Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:04 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
Get a copy of Mileposts. I found it to be a great resource.
The flies and mosquitos are significantly worse than they tell you.

Ditto. Once you cross the plains it'll be awesome. "We hunt deer with the mosquitos" was a knee-slapper I heard when I was there. I wish you clear skies. Otherwise, like me, you won't get to see Denali (Mt. McKinley) even when standing next to it, so to speak.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Driving to Alaska   Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:51 pm

RonA3597 wrote:
I've wanted to drive to Alsaka since I was a kid and read about the military building the Al-Can Highway during WW II.  Well, time, money, and a buddy to share the drive have come together and we'll leave Atlanta in mid-May, plan to be back mid-June.

Has anyone made the drive?  I'm asking particularly about the Canadian part, as I know little about Canada.  I have the Alaska route planned - Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Homer, Seward.   Any thoughts or suggestions about Canada or Alaska will be appreciated - lodging, sights to see, restaurants, etc.

Sounds like you're doin' some "bucket list" stuff !! Have fun and remember keep it rubber side down on the road !! Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonA3597

PostSubject: Re: Driving to Alaska   Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks for the input. I have the Mile Post in hand, first thing I bought after my buddy said he would make the trip. Next to check my car and health insurance policies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Driving to Alaska   Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:08 pm

That is awesome, its' been on my bucket-list for a long time. Definitely post some pictures enroute or on the return.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Driving to Alaska   Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:01 pm

Sounds like a great adventure!

Just be aware of the critters that can cross the road. I have a friend that did this on his bike (motorcycle) and hit a Moose doing about 60 mph. Put him in hospital and wrecked the bike. He's lucky it didn't eff him up a lot worse!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
RonA3597

PostSubject: Re: Driving to Alaska   Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:02 am

Everyone I've talked with said do not drive at night, that you can't see a moose until it's coming up on the hood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Driving to Alaska
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1