HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

C&D Big and Burley #103

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: C&D Big and Burley #103   Fri May 01, 2015 12:07 am

I've smoked this blend several times, and just thought I'd give a few impressions. It is a very full blend almost akin to smoking a cigar, perhaps a maduro. It has latakia but I rarely detected it; it's being quite overpowered by the burley. There is a roasted chestnut taste to it with hints of unsweetened chocolate and oak. There is no sweetness in the tobacco and a black pepper finish. It burns evenly and is best not too damp. All in all a full bodied and potent blend which is quite enjoyable, if not for an every day smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Fri May 01, 2015 2:03 am

That's one of the Bob Runowski blends that I haven't tried. Is it stronger than Old Joe Krantz?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Fri May 01, 2015 5:02 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
That's one of the Bob Runowski blends that I haven't tried. Is it stronger than Old Joe Krantz?

In terms of strength, I think they are similar. OJK gets the edge both in vitamin N and in-your-face flavor. Big -n- Burley is a great smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371 Online
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Fri May 01, 2015 7:03 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

I've not smoked OJK, so I couldn't say. It's listed as an English blend, but it's not like any I've smoked before. The Latakia isn't very pronounced, but you can taste the Perique quite well at the finish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Fri May 01, 2015 11:12 am

Smoke OJK. I can spare some if need be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Fri May 01, 2015 11:39 am

juanmedusa wrote:
Smoke OJK. I can spare some if need be.

PM sent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Tue May 12, 2015 1:24 pm

I was the inverse of eklektos44, I have smoked my fair share of OJK but none of this. Until now! I think eklektos44 gave a damn fine review at the beginning. And I would probably agree with Fr_Tom about the strength. I would say as a non latakia smoker, generally, I did detect the latakia at light and a bit throughout though it doesn't dominate the burley so I'm in agreement with the OP. Full, smooth but also with some spicy moments, good Nicotine. A cigar smoker would probably enjoy this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Tue May 12, 2015 7:14 pm

Must give this one a spin someday, sounds interesting and the Lat might be a small enough proportion for me to deal with.

Thanks for the review and intel gents.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Tue May 12, 2015 8:55 pm

I like Big & Burley, but find it to be nothing like OJK. The burleys are different and much lighter and sweeter in B&B in my opinion.  It is a good solid smoke that you don't have to think about, but if you want to pay attention there is a bit going on in the background.  OJK takes your attention.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Tue May 12, 2015 10:35 pm

I have a feeling I'm not going to like OJK. I can hardly imagine Burleys less light and sweet than B&B. It makes me scared to crack that can now.

The lat is definitely a condiment here, and really blends in to the earthiness of the burley. There's a lot more of it in Epiphany, for instance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Tue May 12, 2015 11:27 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
I have a feeling I'm not going to like OJK. I can hardly imagine Burleys less light and sweet than B&B. It makes me scared to crack that can now.

The lat is definitely a condiment here, and really blends in to the earthiness of the burley. There's a lot more of it in Epiphany, for instance.

I agree, I didn't find it light or sweet at all. I did find OJK milder by comparison. I like both actually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Wed May 13, 2015 7:45 am

eklektos44 wrote:
Thomas Tkach wrote:

I agree, I didn't find it light or sweet at all. I did find OJK milder by comparison. I like both actually.

I didn't mean light or sweet in a negative way.  And light is, in retrospect, a poorly defined term.  The burley in the blend has plenty of flavor, but I do not find that it has a great deal of depth in flavor profile.  Its consistent, which can be good, but to my tastes lacks a lot of the musty bitter chestnut notes I get from other C&D burleys.  On the sweetness, I was surprised given that B&B apparently has no virginia.  Some of the sweetness I get might be coming from an interplay with the orientals I suppose.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Wed May 13, 2015 7:42 pm

OK so my interest is piqued enough -

If any of you fine gentlemen could spare say several bowls worth I'd be very grateful. And I'll repay in kind.

pm me....

bom

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Wed May 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Brewdude wrote:
OK so my interest is piqued enough -

If any of you fine gentlemen could spare say several bowls worth I'd be very grateful. And I'll repay in kind.

pm me....

bom

Cheers,

RR

I can send some.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Wed May 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Got this covered gents. Thanks so much for all the offers!

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Thu May 14, 2015 9:34 am

As a burley guy, I guess I need to try this blend. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:24 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
I've smoked this blend several times, and just thought I'd give a few impressions. It is a very full blend almost akin to smoking a cigar, perhaps a maduro. It has latakia but I rarely detected it; it's being quite overpowered by the burley. There is a roasted chestnut taste to it with hints of unsweetened chocolate and oak. There is no sweetness in the tobacco and a black pepper finish. It burns evenly and is best not too damp. All in all a full bodied and potent blend which is quite enjoyable, if not for an every day smoke.

Wow. Smoking some right now for the first time and this review is incredibly spot-on. The end of the bowl should kill any cravings for nicotine for a couple of hours, I'm thinkin'. Pipe is a Pete Squire 'dog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Have they changed the cut of this blend? I received an order a few days ago, and it doesn't look anything like the photos I'm seeing of it. It's all golden tobacco and also ribbon cut. It doesn't have much of a scent in the jar, either. I'm wondering if they sent me the correct stuff. Flavor wise, it doesn't have much of one at all. Very mild, but also harsh on the throat and tongue (accidentally inhaled a wee bit in the wind). I'll try to get a photo of mine. Can't do it right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Have they changed the cut of this blend?  I received an order a few days ago, and it doesn't look anything like the photos I'm seeing of it.  It's all golden tobacco and also ribbon cut.  It doesn't have much of a scent in the jar, either.  I'm wondering if they sent me the correct stuff.  Flavor wise, it doesn't have much of one at all.  Very mild, but also harsh on the throat and tongue (accidentally inhaled a wee bit in the wind).  I'll try to get a photo of mine.  Can't do it right now.

I think you got the wrong thing packaged in the baggie.
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:10 pm

My last order a month ago from Smokingpipes I received the 1lb. bulk of Big N Burley that I always order to age as my stock gets depleted. The blend has changed ever so slightly over the past 5 years but I will say the blend is made up of fairly dark tobacco's and no ribbon cut, it's still a rough cut with a minimal amount of Latakia, Perique and Turkish. I use Big N Burley for some of my own blends so I go through allot. It's still a decent smoke by itself ( it's NOT Storm Front ) and gets much better with a minimum of 6 months of aging. Fresh, you might get a tongue bite and it smokes a bit harsh.
I think what Fr. Tom stated is most likely correct.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:

fresh blends of both can be rather 'alarming'--but still good --order enough of both to glass a half pound in cache--i'm smoking now out of some of each that is over six years old--both are smoother, milder and actually sweeter--
i believe BnB is still the stronger flavor, while OJK retains the nic to a higher degree--but it's a close call--i swear my aged OJK is really sweet--no blender here, but i guess it must be the perique working--

your point on OJK and the nic hit is well observed--even though i have smoked it for years, depending upon my physical and mental condition, sometimes it can really work me over--and i've been smoking a pipe for over 60 years--guess there is always one blend that can do you in no matter how long you have been at it<<smile>>

>>>>>father tom wrote>>>I think you got the wrong thing packaged in the baggie.>>>>>>>>>>
that's gotta be it--
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
My last order a month ago from Smokingpipes I received the 1lb. bulk of Big N Burley that I always order to age as my stock gets depleted. The blend has changed ever so slightly over the past 5 years but I will say the blend is made up of fairly dark tobacco's and no ribbon cut, it's still a rough cut with a minimal amount of Latakia, Perique and Turkish. I use Big N Burley for some of my own blends so I go through allot. It's still a decent smoke by itself ( it's NOT Storm Front ) and gets much better with a minimum of 6 months of aging. Fresh, you might get a tongue bite and it smokes a bit harsh.
I think what Fr. Tom stated is most likely correct.
I'll try to take a picture of my bag. I just received the replacement, and it looks like the same as the original shipment. P&C just restocked it, so it doesn't make a lot of sense that they would mislabel two stock barrels (I keep being told by the call center that they fill orders out of big barrels). I'm confused. Either after all these years I'm still ignorant to the difference between ribbon and rough, or something else is at play. If I am indeed receiving the correct tobacco, it isn't so much for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: C&D Big and Burley #103   Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
...Either after all these years I'm still ignorant to the difference between ribbon and rough, or something else is at play.  If I am indeed receiving the correct tobacco, it isn't so much for me.

Curiosity made me look at mine. I'd call it a rough ribbon cut. Hope that clarifies things. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

C&D Big and Burley #103
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1