HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

McClelland 221-B Black Shag

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: McClelland 221-B Black Shag   Thu May 21, 2015 11:30 am

Has anyone ever tried this? I thought I might give it a go, but am not quite sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 221-B Black Shag   Thu May 21, 2015 12:50 pm

I smoked this years ago when it first came out in the late 90's and liked it a lot. It's a staright Va blend.mixture of stoved Va;s and flue cured Red Va's with no topping in a sort of shag/ribbon cut. Packs well, easily lit and smokes cool but will bite if you are a "puffer"! As with ALL straight Va's, sip, sip, sip will do the trick !! A good McC's Va that of course is topped with their trade mark ketchup Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ( have to go along with all the experts on this even if what you smell is the aroma of flue cured fermented Va s!! ) If you're a straight Va lover get a couple of tins and try it !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 221-B Black Shag   Thu May 21, 2015 12:52 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I smoked this years ago when it first came out in the late 90's and liked it a lot. It's a staright Va blend.mixture of stoved Va;s and flue cured Red Va's with no topping in a sort of shag/ribbon cut. Packs well, easily lit and smokes cool but will bite if you are a "puffer"! As with ALL straight Va's, sip, sip, sip will do the trick !! A good McC's Va that of course is topped with their trade mark ketchup Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  ( have to go along with all the experts on this even if what you smell is the aroma of flue cured fermented Va s!! ) If you're a straight Va lover get a couple of tins and try it !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Thanks, I'll have to give this a try when I get together an order. (If I can restrain myself from buying more pipes.) Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 221-B Black Shag   Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 pm

I smoked a tin a few years back and quite enjoyed it. For one, the name is deceiving. While it is dark, it's not black. Also it isn't what I would categorize as shag either. G&H Dark Birdseye, now that's shag (practically RYO width). Black Shag is more of a moderately thin cut ribbon, the cut is relatively the same width as blends like London Mixture or Presbyterian.

Overall, good mild stoved VA flavor, minimal nicotine. For a McClellend black stoved VA, I prefer Dark Star. For a red/black stoved combo, Blackwoods Flake, or VA Woods which is ribbon cut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 221-B Black Shag   Fri May 22, 2015 7:38 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I smoked a tin a few years back and quite enjoyed it. For one, the name is deceiving. While it is dark, it's not black. Also it isn't what I would categorize as shag either. G&H Dark Birdseye, now that's shag (practically RYO width). Black Shag is more of a moderately thin cut ribbon, the cut is relatively the same width as blends like London Mixture or Presbyterian.

Overall, good mild stoved VA flavor, minimal nicotine. For a McClellend black stoved VA, I prefer Dark Star. For a red/black stoved combo, Blackwoods Flake, or VA Woods which is ribbon cut.

I'd have to agree with all you've said and for me also McC's DS, BF and Va Woods would be my choices for an all Va blend/mixture over 221. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 221-B Black Shag   Fri May 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Tried this when it first came out ('01 or so?). And while I enjoyed it, equally it didn't blow my socks off.

Think I have a tin of the newer release around somewhere. Just need to get a round tuit.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

McClelland 221-B Black Shag
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1