HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Are you a ONE pipe man or.........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
eklektos44

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Virginia
Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:03 am

Well, I'm glad your here Ron! Smile And this does seem a more friendly and personal forum than other smoking forums. It's also smaller which makes it more intimate, there's not 500 posts a day. But I still see a disconnect. If one isn't interested in other pipes and tobaccos why join a pipe smoking forum? You must have had some curiosity. I came here because I am interested in learning more about pipes, tobacco, ect. But as I said, I'm a utilitarian. Wink I'm also a contrarian, so there's that... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:20 am

eklektos44 wrote:
If one isn't interested in other pipes and tobaccos why join a pipe smoking forum?

To Converse with others that have a Common Interest, Pipes and Tobacco.

Why must I come here to gain anything? My goal in life is not to gain it's to enjoy and if I'm able, to help others enjoy then, that's just a bonus. I ask nothing and expect nothing from you all with the exception that ya listen ever so often. And so far that's been working out pretty good. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
eklektos44

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Virginia
Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:33 am

I understand what you're saying Ron, but it just seems a little narrow. And I don't get this whole thing about gain. Gain seems to be a natural part of interaction. (I'm not speaking of material gain here, but gain in the form of information, camaraderie, ect.). So I don't get the point. And coming back full circle if one only smoked one pipe and one tobacco with no interest in any others what exactly would you be bringing to or getting out of the forum? There wouldn't seem to be much point in discussing pipe smoking, nor anything to discuss, and that is the point of the forum. Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:35 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
I understand what you're saying Ron, but it just seems a little narrow. And I don't get this whole thing about gain. Gain seems to be a natural part of interaction. (I'm not speaking of material gain here, but gain in the form of information, camaraderie, ect.). So I don't get the point. And coming back full circle if one only smoked one pipe and one tobacco with no interest in any others what exactly would you be bringing to or getting out of the forum? There wouldn't seem to be much point in discussing pipe smoking, nor anything to discuss, and that is the point of the forum. Question

Well sir, that's just me, I'm a simple man with simple needs. I don't need 350 pipes and 16 tons of tobacco to want to converse with other pipe smokers. If you've noticed I seldom talk about tobacco and or pipes.
I show mine off and make comments about others pipes and cause an uproar ever so often. I feel talking about tobacco is pretty Boring, I want to smoke it not talk about it. Pipes are about the same, I like them a lot considering how many I have but, would rather be involved in a show and tell then to talk about there history, construction or have a debate over who makes the best, just doesn't interest me. Again, just a simple man with simple wants, I simply want every pipe I can get my hands on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Jevverrett

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Wallingford, Ct
Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:52 pm

I think I'm at 15 briars, 4 cobs at the moment. I smoke all of them regularly. They're just separated by blend variety, and home vs work pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Virginia
Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
eklektos44 wrote:
I understand what you're saying Ron, but it just seems a little narrow. And I don't get this whole thing about gain. Gain seems to be a natural part of interaction. (I'm not speaking of material gain here, but gain in the form of information, camaraderie, ect.). So I don't get the point. And coming back full circle if one only smoked one pipe and one tobacco with no interest in any others what exactly would you be bringing to or getting out of the forum? There wouldn't seem to be much point in discussing pipe smoking, nor anything to discuss, and that is the point of the forum. Question

Well sir, that's just me, I'm a simple man with simple needs. I don't need 350 pipes and 16 tons of tobacco to want to converse with other pipe smokers. If you've noticed I seldom talk about tobacco and or pipes.
I show mine off and make comments about others pipes and cause an uproar ever so often. I feel talking about tobacco is pretty Boring, I want to smoke it not talk about it. Pipes are about the same, I like them a lot considering how many I have but, would rather be involved in a show and tell then to talk about there history, construction or have a debate over who makes the best, just doesn't interest me. Again, just a simple man with simple wants, I simply want every pipe I can get my hands on.

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM



Age : 74
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:04 pm

Four or five decades ago, I recall both grandperes smoked pipes. I recall they each owned but one or two at a time, replaced them when my grandmothers declared they stunk, and usually used coupons of some sort to buy replacements. My own hoard stands at two meers, a dozen + cobs and about seventy briars, give or take. Like many others, my collection began to grow as smoking paraphernalia found its perfect market on the Internet. My grandfathers bought pipes to smoke either while working or relaxing. But the Internet brought to every piper's desktop a wonderful variety that had not been readily available when the market was limited to B&M shops. Temptation had come through the door and the lone Grabow billiard, while highly utilitarian, became only the beginning. And here an interesting thing happened. As the market grew, it broke into debating factions as to what was good, better, best. It wasn't enoughfor the piper to like the pipe; in some quarters, the like had to have some defense, a justifying argument, explanation. But fact is, personal preference is what the hobby is about ... I don't think either grandfather would have thought of pipe smoking as a hobby ... and I'm among the group that just looks for a sense of quiet, calm satisfaction with briar in hand. Gramps found it with one pipe. I find it in one at a time, because the market changed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM



Age : 74
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:30 pm

'Pon my word, Cart, I've earned a poor mark in comprehension in reading your post. But I see I have lots of good company. you did a nice job of disguising your charitable intent🎄🎄🎄
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:06 pm

What? scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
KevinM



Age : 74
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:46 pm

🗿🗿🗿
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:32 pm

KevinM wrote:
🗿🗿🗿

No habla what ever that is! scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
KevinM



Age : 74
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Are you a ONE pipe man or.........   Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:38 pm

My bad, probably too small for your device. They're the enigmatic Easter Island statues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Are you a ONE pipe man or.........
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Hose Pipe Bans
» Vladislav Inozemtsev: Putin Is Waking Up From Chinese Pipe Dream

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: