HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The best Sherlock Holmes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Davey

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Jeremy Brett.

So many favorite writings to choose from...I'd have to say that although typical as it ,may be "Hound of teh baskerville" is on top three.

Davey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
m2j3t6

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:07 pm

I think "Silver Blaze" was one of the cleverest. I showed Holmes techniques very well. The Hound is also one of my favorite stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:43 pm

Gotta agree with the Jeremy Brett group. When I saw his portrayel of Holmes I could no longer enjoy my tapes of Basil Rathbone. And of course Nigel Bruce was quite entertaining but nothing like the Watson portrayed in Doyle's stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:32 pm

What's amazing (and depressing) about the Brett/Granada episodes is they were done on a shoestring. The BBC is notoriously tight-fisted, and compromises had to be made at every turn.

Imagine what we'd have on DVD today if those players and writers hadn't been so constrained by time and money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TreeFrog Frank

Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:38 am

I just got that first volume of the B&N set of complete works. I had never sat down and read any Sherlock Holmes. I am riveted. I love reading Doyle's stuff. I wish I had more time to read, but I am trying to plug through it when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: JB   Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:39 pm

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:
I'm a decided Jeremy Brett guy! He brought a certain charm to Holmes that few others were able to deliver.

Jeremy Brit was hands down the best in my book. Not just because of the Holmes character, But they gave Watson back his intelligence through David Burke.
Early on, Rathbone and Bruce were my favs....But it reading the books, Watson wasn't a bumbling foil.....He was an intelligent battlefield surgeon....Poor Bruces rendition (I'm sure a tool by the producers, not the actors choice ) would never have survived india.......

Just my .02
Back to top Go down
FibberMcGee

Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:43 pm

I have to agree with the Jeremy Brett crowd here. He injects a definite manic energy to the role that really fits with how I imagined it when I read the books and stories. As for Watson, I like David Burke, with Hardwicke a close second. Also I really liked that they included the drug use in the Granada episodes. Not that I am a proponent of drug use but to see a quick glance of the syringe and see the malaise that Holmes was in really was an important part of the Holmes character.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sun May 10, 2009 4:06 am

Being old, and just having watched (again, after many years) some of the now restored and remastered installments of the Rathbone-Bruce series I must aver that for me it was Basil Rathbone, although his pairing with Bruce's caricaturesque take on Watson was a bit of a flaw, I believe. It allowed Rathbone, however, to appear at all times superior and masterly, which is what he did best. Also, with the possible exception of The Scarlet Claw (1944), the direction, writing and production values of these B-film series left something to be desired. I enjoyed the care taken by Greanada TV to produce the Jeremy Brett episodes, but I don't like his characterization of Holmes, as I find his ambiguous and neurotic Sherlock irritating and overacted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:01 am

m2j3t6 wrote:
I have a book containing all the original stories with illustrations as they appeared in the Strand Magazine. This was my favorite book as a child (probably another reason I'm a pipe smoker) When I saw the Granada series I just flipped. They really brought the series to life. Even the dialog is very close to the original and actually verbatim in some spots. affraid

The Granada Brett series has become my hands down favorite. Growing up I used to watch the Rathbone films every Saturday afternoon on TV and enjoyed them immensely. Today they seem to pale compared to the authenticity of the Jeremy Brett series. Yes, too bad they never got a chance to finish them, same for the Granada Hercule Poirot series which is another fave.

A bit of trivia is that supposedly one scene in each of the Brett series actually matches an illustration from the original stories. I have spotted a few of them but have not sat down to watch all the shows with the intention of finding the matching scenes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:55 pm

Politics, religion, art - all of these things leave much open to debate.

The best Sherlock on the other hand is a simple fact, as sure as gravity pulls us all to earth.

My apologies to the flood of Brett fans, but Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce are without question the best Sherlock and Watson by far - a bit dated perhaps, but for me it helps to capture the feeling of days gone by better than the Brett versions more elaborate effort.

Of course I am another who grew up watching Basil and Nigel - they are family to me Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bergxu

Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:46 am

the macdonald wrote:
Jeremy Brett! There is no other Sherlock. He brought a turbulent arrogance to the role that was perfect. His Sherlock was a genius and he knew it, but there was always tension underlying his accurate solutions. It seemed like he was struggling with his savage self underneath the civilized Englishman. I can’t read any of the stories without seeing Jeremy Brett.

+1

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gandalfpc

Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:55 am

Endless treasonous blaspheme Smile

Are there no other Rathbone/Bruce fans about?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the macdonald

Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:29 pm

gandalfpc wrote:
Endless treasonous blaspheme Smile

Are there no other Rathbone/Bruce fans about?

Gad zooks man! There were plenty of Rathbone fans until Jeremy Brett perfected Sherlockian performances for all times.

..And yes I changed my avatar because of this discussion, although I’m probably a 34 year old version of Mycroft, without the indispensable intellect, but I’m adverse to physical activity and would love a club where the one rule in no talking, but I admire Sherlock's energy, especially as played by Mr Brett.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:45 pm

"I’m adverse to physical activity and would love a club where the one rule in no talking,"

Here here. May I join if you find such a club? study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:19 am

Trappist Monasteries allow no talking,surely your not thinking of........... Shocked

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:26 am

Winslow wrote:
Trappist Monasteries allow no talking,surely your not thinking of........... Shocked

Winslow sunny

Alas Winslow they also do not allow another activity of which I am quite fond. Not quite ready to give that up! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sherlock

Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:50 pm

I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan of the books and some of the on screen adaptions. In my opinion Jeremy Bret by far played the best Holmes. He managed to portray Holmes arrogance, energy and frustration immaculately, as well as his cold charecter and the brotherly love he had for Watson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:53 am

On TV/movies, Jeremy Brett is my far my favorite. On the radio, it is a toss up between Basil Rathbone and Clive Merrison. While Rathbone was great in the old movies during the 40's, I enjoy listening to his radio dramatizations far more. Some of the scripts for the Rathbone/Bruce radio series were actually more clever in my opinion than many of the scripts from the movies they starred in! On the other hand, Clive Merrison was brilliant as Holmes in the British radio series that was broadcast in the late 80's/early 90's. Merrison really captured the manic side of Holmes and in some ways, I think his portrayal was better than Brett's, although it is probably unfair to compare a TV actor with a radio actor! I highly recommend seeking out the Merrison series though! It was the first radio series to record the entire Canon (all 60 stories!), not to mention they wound up doing about a dozen originals due to popular demand after the Canon was completed.

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Watched Basil Rathbone before I read any of the stories, so I am biased. He will always be the benchmark.

However, that version with Nigel Bruce has colored my view of Watson. Just starting to get over his Watson-as-a-buffoon. No way Holmes would tolerate an goof.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrtaster

Registration date : 2009-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:09 pm

well, they were all great. jeremy, basil, whoever
david burke was my favorite watson... anyone know why he was replaced by hardwicke?
old-time radio fans can hear a holmes series sponsored by clipper-craft men's clothiers on-line at chml a.m. 900, a canadian radio station.
from 10 p.m.-2 a.m (except when they're broadcasting maple leaf hockey or tigercats football, when the broadcasts start an hour or so later) chml broadcasts other old time radio shows like the green hornet, hopalong cassidy, the shadow, johnny dollar, the lone ranger, and a bunch of others.
for someone who grew up listening to radio (too poor to own a t.v. til the mid 50's),
the nostalgia is overpowering!! great fun!
jrtaster/john
Back to top Go down
View user profile
St Fiacre

Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Fri May 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Jeremy Brett was by far the best Holmes. Granted I did watch the Granada Serise first and this has colored my opinion, but when I read the books I too alsways think of Brett. Also I think he bears a striking resemblance to the illustrations by Sidney Paget from the Strand. When I watched some of the Rathbone-Bruce episodes the characters seem fake and over played, as many have mentioned Watson is played as a buffoon. Though I suppose Rathbone is okay Brett is by far a better played Holmes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abbacab

Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat May 22, 2010 2:44 pm

While Basil Rathbone was, admittedly, a better actor, Jeremy Brett was the the best Holmes.

Sadly Rathbone was not merely hamstrung, but essentially hobbled by both Nigel Bruce's buffoonish take on Watson and the updated scripts of "Sherlock vs. the Axis". Even watching these as a child I was slack-jawed with disbelief. Brett, on the other hand, found his role of a lifetime in playing Holmes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:57 am

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:
I'm a decided Jeremy Brett guy! He brought a certain charm to Holmes that few others were able to deliver.

agreed!! Brett in my mind captured Holmes like no other
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:11 pm

abbacab wrote:
While Basil Rathbone was, admittedly, a better actor, Jeremy Brett was the the best Holmes.

Sadly Rathbone was not merely hamstrung, but essentially hobbled by both Nigel Bruce's buffoonish take on Watson and the updated scripts of "Sherlock vs. the Axis". Even watching these as a child I was slack-jawed with disbelief. Brett, on the other hand, found his role of a lifetime in playing Holmes.

I have always been troubled by film makers who portrayed Watson as a buffoon. It takes him completely out of character as he was presented in the stories. After all the man was an M.D. Where do they come up with that idea?

I agree wholeheartedly about J. Brett.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taja-big dog

Registration date : 2010-11-01

PostSubject: give this guy a look   Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Benedict Cumberbatch...PBS Masterpiece Theater...Sunday. He is good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The best Sherlock Holmes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next