HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The best Sherlock Holmes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
sundevil73

Registration date : 2010-08-09

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:41 am

yes the one on PBS now is good, been watching. Though I have not seen any pipe smoking...... Not PC in England now I would guess. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Funn

Registration date : 2008-01-06

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:00 pm

I like all of them being a Sherlockian.
Peter Cushing played an admirable Holmes.
Thought I wouldn't like the new PBS Holmes
because of the nicotene patches, but I enjoy
it emensely. I love the new version with Downey
and am looking foward to the new one coming
out next year.

Funn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pasq0321

Registration date : 2010-11-08

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:33 pm

I prefer the Basil Rathbone version of Holmes. My mom made me watch them with her a ton as a kid, so I might be disowned if I said otherwise. However, she hated Nigel Bruce's portrayal of Watson. Jeremy Brett ruined himself for me when he was in My Fair Lady, he was kind of wimpy! I really liked Jude Law as Watson, I think it was his best role.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipeclubsi

Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Christopher Plummer (with James Mason as dr. W.) in "Murder by Decree" (1979) was my favourite.
Somehow I imagined Holmes to look like that after reading the books. Of course, many were very good in that role, but Plummer kind of looked like a 'classic' Sherlock to me.

Last edited by pipeclubsi on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JASmith

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Jeremy Brett.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sea-Bee

Registration date : 2011-10-15

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:41 am

Aye!! Jeremy Brett, for sure.

It is NOT often my wife and I are in staunch agreement over a certian subject.....Jeremey Brett as Holmes!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:58 am

pipeclubsi wrote:
Christopher Plummer (with James Mason as dr. W.) in "Murder by Decree" (1979) was my favourite.
Somehow I imagined Holmes to look like that after reading the books. Of course, many were very good in that role, but Plummer kind of looked like a 'classic' Sherlock to me.

For those Netflix enthusiasts interested, I believe "Murder By Decree" is available for Instant Watch right now. I haven't seen it yet myself, but may have to put it on while I am enjoying a day off from work today!

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Jeremy Brett hands down!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WilliamtheWorldEater

Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Thu May 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Absolutely no question-JEREMY BRETT!!!!! I had read every story, case, yadda, yadda, etc. over the years and, to me, he presented the perfect image of how I always imagined Sherlock to be. The world lost a unique and profound individual when he passed. Oddly, I found the guy who portrayed Watson in that series to be quite mediocre, compared to other portrayals Ive seen. He seemed completely out of place, next to the likes of Brett. To those who havent yet seen it, the new Sherlock series on BBC's Masterpiece is absolutely fantastic, probably the best show Ive seen in years. Not suprising, coming from BBC and PBS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrtaster

Registration date : 2009-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat May 12, 2012 10:52 am

sorry but i think the new pbs series is OFF THE WALL. scandal in belgravia??? with holmes in some muslim country saving irene adler (cast as a dominitrix--sp?) from being beheaded, c'mon!!!

if the homes vs the axis series was debasing the sherlockian concept, the new pbs series trumps them in spades.

so i cannot nominate benedict cumberbatch as the "best" sherlock.....weirdest maybe!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WilliamtheWorldEater

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat May 12, 2012 2:30 pm

jrtaster wrote:
sorry but i think the new pbs series is OFF THE WALL. scandal in belgravia??? with holmes in some muslim country saving irene adler (cast as a dominitrix--sp?) from being beheaded, c'mon!!!

if the homes vs the axis series was debasing the sherlockian concept, the new pbs series trumps them in spades.

so i cannot nominate benedict cumberbatch as the "best" sherlock.....weirdest maybe!!

I guess I didnt think of it like that. Those are good points. I was just happy to see a new take on SH. Whats cool about it is that my 12 year old son can relate to it more easily than the older stuff, so its something we can watch together. But, I do appreciate what youre saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WilliamtheWorldEater

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat May 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Slightly off-track, I think Jude Law has offered up the finest portrayal of John Watson. He's the only one I know of who portrays him in a sharp and more masculine light, and more of an equal to SH, rather than his side-kick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrtaster

Registration date : 2009-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat May 12, 2012 3:47 pm

glad your son has such interest in holmes...and so nice it's a pursuit you can share.
has he read much of the conan doyle 'canon?' to me, being grounded in the written holmes enriches the experience of the film/tv experience all the more. conan doyle was quite a writer, and sherlock an immensely complex character. bringing his sherlock to the screen and tv (and radio) must be quite a challenge. and trying to put a fresh face to it, ala the new pbs series, is to be commended.
but having done so, it's difficult not to compare the pbs series to all which preceded it? in my old farty view, it just doesn't cut it as sherlock...tho it may have other elements to commend it.
i'm sure there are contrary views to share on this one. let's hear em!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WilliamtheWorldEater

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Sat May 12, 2012 3:59 pm

jrtaster wrote:
glad your son has such interest in holmes...and so nice it's a pursuit you can share.
has he read much of the conan doyle 'canon?' to me, being grounded in the written holmes enriches the experience of the film/tv experience all the more. conan doyle was quite a writer, and sherlock an immensely complex character. bringing his sherlock to the screen and tv (and radio) must be quite a challenge. and trying to put a fresh face to it, ala the new pbs series, is to be commended.
but having done so, it's difficult not to compare the pbs series to all which preceded it? in my old farty view, it just doesn't cut it as sherlock...tho it may have other elements to commend it.
i'm sure there are contrary views to share on this one. let's hear em!!

He is actually working his way through volume one of Bantam's Classic "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" box set, the same set I picked up at an estate sale back home in NY, when he was still just a little bump in his mom's belly. Im absolutely thrilled he has taken to them, I guess the apple doesnt fall far from the tree Very Happy
I do understand what youre saying about the new series, though. The somewhat "metrosexual" vibe(if thats what it is) can be a little much at times. But, I guess, if it brings new fans to the fray, more power to them Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:27 am

I prefer Rathbone as Holmes and even though Watson's buffoonery is annoying to modern day viewers, that was the style of what was a mostly-B movie series. Rathbone and Bruce on radio are much better, and perhaps due to the restriction of the medium and superior to their movies scripts, Watson is not as clownish and more acceptable as Holmes' friend. If they had worked in a more modern style, these actors would have played it straighter, which they do in the first two movies from 20th Century Fox.

Sometimes Brett is over the top a little and other times, more effeminate than I view Holmes to be, but I sure do enjoy the first few seasons. The later episodes aren't as good, as the scripts and of course, Brett's health decline.

Clive Merrison plays a terrific Sherlock Holmes and I also like the Hobbs-Shelly version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
albondigas6277

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Best Moriarty is Andrew Scott?   Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Has anyone caught the updated verion of Holmes by the BBC called SHERLOCK. It is very well written and has thousands of "easter Eggs" for real fans, plus Andrew Scott (fellow Irishman) is the best Moriarty by a country mile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lanzaloveinterest@live.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:20 pm

albondigas6277 wrote:
Has anyone caught the updated verion of Holmes by the BBC called SHERLOCK. It is very well written and has thousands of "easter Eggs" for real fans, plus Andrew Scott (fellow Irishman) is the best Moriarty by a country mile.

Sherlock is a marvelous new series... I have season 1 on dvd, I've got to order season 2 soon. Also, I'm sure you all are aware, but season 1 is streaming on Netflix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:53 pm

I have to admit I was very dubious about the new Sherlock series... until I watched it. It's a terrific series and I wish they made more than they are making. And yes, this is perhaps the best Moriarty ever on screen.

Btw, many years back, there was a BBC radio series called Second Holmes, which wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:39 pm

My wife and I really like Sherlock. It's done very well. I do have my concerns about the new show Elementary that is coming soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Best Sherlock Holms...   Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:54 pm

...I simply prefer to read the books..my 2 volumes...what I have watched is the Rathbone Holmes...however, "perhaps a three pipe problem..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:58 pm

I've only watched the first episode of Elementary. It's inferior to the BBC Sherlock series. The storyline is dark and bit more graphic than I prefer. I also don't care for certain aspects of the Holmes character. I'll watch a couple more episodes and see if I change my mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elshano

Registration date : 2012-05-16

PostSubject: The Best Sherlock Holmes   Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:31 am

Have been deep into SH films and research. If anyone is particularly interested in movies, I've got a good start with a folder of what is mostly on YouTube, along with a few others. I grew up reading Doyle's Holmes adventures, as well as being a regular Basil Rathbone-Nigel Bruce matinee kid along with older Arthur Wontner films and the like (in that territory of Mr. Moto, Charlie Chaplin, Bogart's Sam Spade and others). I'm very partial to Jeremy Brett, but appreciate everything Holmesian. I look forward - as my avatar might suggest - to any new and yet unread Sherlock posts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:49 am

jrtaster wrote:

total agreement here--i know i'm a geezer, and that the more modern versions will play for a younger audience, but for some reason taking such libertiy with the characters is just bit more than a little over the top for me--

heck, i'm ALMOST old enough to remember the victorian age--no not really Very Happy but it wasn't that far in the past when i was a youth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipe Smoker

Registration date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:41 am

Jeremy Brett was the best Sherlock I ever saw. No competition!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
elshano

Registration date : 2012-05-16

PostSubject: Re: The best Sherlock Holmes   Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:21 pm

I still concur with Pipe Smoker that Jeremy Brett's is the finest to date. A very fine attention to detail, respective of A.C. Doyle's writings, is most impressive. He even handled "Elementary, my dear Watson" without running the cliche well into the ground, as seems to be the custom. This itself deserves several kudos.

I've spent considerable time watching everything I can, from 1900 to the present. Not yet familiar enough with CBS’ "Elementary" with Johnny Lee Miller, to comment on that version, but the present day, BBC "Sherlock" with Benedict Cumberbatch, is certainly one of the most engaging personifications I've seen. It's insane how many literary, stage, film, t.v., anime and cartoon adaptions there are to this character and Doyle's original renderings there are. "Having a life", I'll have to terminate that research.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The best Sherlock Holmes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next