HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Old Charatan marking/grading

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ken Barnes

Registration date : 2015-06-14

PostSubject: Old Charatan marking/grading   Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi Folks,
I have an old Charatan (a small lovat with a saddle mouthpiece in a smooth 'natural' finish straight grain)
The markings on the shank read
CHARATAN'S MAKE
LONDON, ENGLAND
EXTRA

I thought that I was quite knowledgeable on Charatan grades, having worked in the factory in the 1970s for a few years and also working in the Charatan retail store in Jermyn Street, London.
I was wondering if anyone knows when this 'extra' grade was in production?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ghisalbertino

Ghisalbertino

Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Old Charatan marking/grading   Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Hello!

I was able to get some information on Charatan's Extra grading by means of this Russian article: http://brbpipe.ru/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/T-shop_1-2011-12_56-69_3.pdf

Here is the interesting part, roughly translated by Google Translate:

Extra

Expressive straight grain, excellent flame grain or already at all an excellent cross cut. In this grade, besides a great figure, there are deviations from the classical forms, following the "flame": billiards or Dublin with a sloping bowl. Pipes Extra cost considerably more expensive than De Luxe (up to 8 pounds in the 20s, up to 12 - in the 30s). Sometimes an old memory or on request supplied with hard case.

So it seems to be a Reuben's era grade.

You can read the first half of the article here: http://brbpipe.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Charatan.pdf
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ken Barnes

Registration date : 2015-06-14

PostSubject: Old Charatan marking/grading   Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:08 am

That is truly amazing, thank you so much for this info. Yes, this is the exact stamping on the one I have (with a full stop/period between the London and the England). Regrettably, I do not have the case that it may have come with.
The one I have is very a 'Dunhill-like' lovat with a distinct 'hand-made' look to it. Ken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffstone

Registration date : 2015-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Old Charatan marking/grading   Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:21 am

Ken Barnes wrote:
That is truly amazing, thank you so much for this info. Yes, this is the exact stamping on the one I have (with a full stop/period between the London and the England). Regrettably, I do not have the case that it may have come with.
The one I have is very a 'Dunhill-like' lovat with a distinct 'hand-made' look to it. Ken
Sorry to revive a somewhat dated thread but would you mind posting pictures of your pipe? Does the stem have any nomenclature?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Old Charatan marking/grading   Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:29 am

I'm not sure how I missed a comment by Ken Barnes.
Mr. Barnes - it is amazing to have someone of your stature in the pipe world participating on the forum. I look forward to more of your insights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Old Charatan marking/grading
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack :: Pipe History-
Jump to: