HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How things change

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: How things change   Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Some folks here smoke their 'baccy others dip their snuff and whaile looking them up I found this article about the old London Snuff/Tobacco blending house of Friberg & Tryer. It's kinda sad to see what the original stre has become. Here's the link :

http://londonhistoricshops.blogspot.com/2014/09/34-haymarket-sw1y.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: How things change   Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:54 pm

I noticed the blog at the bottom on the link indicating a secret door. Maybe they still have some snuff and tobacco, and just aren't allowed by law to display it in plain sight. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How things change   Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:24 pm

At least it's still there and reasonably recognizable, most buildings of yesteryear are gone by the wayside or some nimrod has defaced them so badly they look nothing like they use to.
I really love architecture of the past and I hate it when some fancy pants so called decorator comes in and redoes it to look modern or worse yet bulldoze it to put in a fricken Walmart.No

As a child there was a Movie house we all use to go to, if I remember right it was 50 cents for the matinee and a dollar for the evening shows back then. Being on the poor side we use to go and find empty bottles to cash in at the liquor store so we could get tickets, bottles had a 5-10 cent deposit on them then so it didn't take many to get into a matinee. Anyway, it had the old style front with the neon sign and the half round ticket office in front. After the movie theater closed down about 10 or more years later the city took it over and made it a play house and changed everything except the GEM theater sign. The only thing that reminds me of what it once was is the sign, the rest looks like modern crap. At least I still have fond memories as a child rooting on my hero's there on a Saturday afternoon.....they can't take that away from me......the moron's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: How things change   Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:17 am

A very interesting article. Thanks for posting it Michael. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How things change
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1