HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:35 pm

If that piece of old nail came to you in my box it must've been an overlooked remnant in the shipping box. I think it wasn't mine though. What constitutes a piece of old nail anyways?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:46 am

I'd imagine the old nail was a joke about shrapnel and she already knows who sent it....

Anyway, I don't participate in the bombing runs often, once a year or so, I am glad I did this one. When I found out who the target was I smiled. The irony being the first mission you flew was when I got bombed.

And enough of this nonsense about proving yourself and all that.. There's a couple thousand guys on here that's never been generous enough to participate in this deal, Secret Santa, the old box pass, etc and you've actually been sharing physical and mental wealth since day one. Good on you and yours.

Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:05 am

And if anyone wants/needs additional old bent nails...we're your guys...we can hook you up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:09 am

puros_bran wrote:
I'd imagine the old nail was a joke about shrapnel and she already knows who sent it....

Anyway, †I don't participate in the bombing runs often, once a year or so, I am glad I did this one. When I found out who the target was I smiled. † The irony being the first mission you flew was when I got bombed.

And enough of this nonsense about proving yourself and all that.. There's a couple thousand guys on here that's never been generous enough to participate in this deal, Secret Santa, the old box pass, etc and you've actually been sharing physical and mental wealth since day one. † Good on you and yours. †

I'd say this post sums up a whole lot; you've never needed to prove yourself. People notice acts of genuine friendship and kindness; they don't go unnoticed, especially on this forum. Enjoy the packages!

I'd say we set the bar pretty high for our next bombing runs, folks. Thanks for making this a wonderful first run for me as co-commander. Let's keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:24 am

There's a lot of little things that go into the success of these missions. I never really paid attention before but notice WB's avatar. It's "the LOOK"! I think it's "the LOOK" that made us all to pony up with ordinance big time this round. That and the excellent lead time, which I really appreciated. And the target selection. Good pick there. Oh...and the lucky fact that our Bombing Day ended in the letter "y". And then, not being hit by a bus at any time during the month...that helped. It's just a bunch of things all coming together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Lead time is big for me, I can't just toss down a plastic card and 'getter dunn', I go out and do the 'hunter/gatherer thing', craft something, put a bit of spirit into it. Feels better that way. True gifts aren't just another line on the ledger, right?

So, as far as the planning ahead thingy, the longer the better for me.....

Only Rumpelstiltsken could spin hay into gold over night, right?

Good bombing run, everyone. Glad, no honoured to be a part of it...

(So, who are we going to nuke next month, Commander? My tools await............)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:43 pm

Wiz...I know you didn't mean your comment this way...but just in case someone reads it the wrong way...true gifts are different things to different people. Some folks have a genius for making and others don't. Some folks have a greater ability to purchase things. As brothers we should honor and respect both sides of that coin without trivializing someone's heartfelt and thoughtfully selected item. I won't get all biblical here but there's a great parable about a poor widdow giving a few small coins and it being a great thing since it was all she had.

The above ethic forms a core value of this whole Bombing thing...and stands as one of the reasons that it is not allowed for specific items to be publicly linked to their giver. A student wants to join and is involved with a glad heart...but is cash poor and gives a single tin and some pipe cleaners. Another has loads stashed away and digs in really deep. Yet another walks the woods, finds just the right shed antler or piece of wood to make a wonderful pipe rack...or whatever. No one should be minimized as all these approaches are worthy.

But like you say, if it's just a line on a ledger...then that giver is the one missing the point and missing the fun as well.

Edit: Reading this thing over (as I tend to do once posted) it strikes me that my point is kind of leading to gift bombs here having to be "significant" in some way...the "all that one has" idea. Not so at all. The point, for me at least, is just to send out something nice, something that you would appreciate, something that is hopefully in tune with the target's style and circumstances...yadda, yadda, yadda. Not the biggest, not the greatest, not the most...just a nice token of friendship. Like the Wiz indicated, something from the heart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:01 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Wiz...I know you didn't mean your comment this way...but just in case someone reads it the wrong way...true gifts are different things to different people. Some folks have a genius for making and others don't. Some folks have a greater ability to purchase things. As brothers we should honor and respect both sides of that coin without trivializing someone's heartfelt and thoughtfully selected item. I won't get all biblical here but there's a great parable about a poor widdow giving a few small coins and it being a great thing since it was all she had.

The above ethic forms a core value of this whole Bombing thing...and stands as one of the reasons that it is not allowed for specific items to be publicly linked to their giver. A student wants to join and is involved with a glad heart...but is cash poor and gives a single tin and some pipe cleaners. Another has loads stashed away and digs in really deep. Yet another walks the woods, finds just the right shed antler or piece of wood to make a wonderful pipe rack...or whatever. No one should be minimized as all these approaches are worthy.

But like you say, if it's just a line on a ledger...then that giver is the one missing the point and missing the fun as well.

Edit: Reading this thing over (as I tend to do once posted) it strikes me that my point is kind of leading to gift bombs here having to be "significant" in some way...the "all that one has" idea. Not so at all. The point, for me at least, is just to send out something nice, something that you would appreciate, something that is hopefully in tune with the target's style and circumstances...yadda, yadda, yadda. Not the biggest, not the greatest, not the most...just a nice token of friendship. Like the Wiz indicated, something from the heart.

Um, yah, what you said..........

All I was saying was that I was grateful to have lead time, not in any way to depreciate any other gifts in any other way, by any other fashion...

Really not sure about how to approach your clarification Blackhorse, but as I wear my shadows where they're harder to see, I didn't find my comments questionable or otherwise demeaning. I will accept your correction, and be more mindful of my comments, so as not to unintentionally offend others.

As I have become more secluded, I find that I have become out of touch with the sensitivities of other Sentients. Language, speech, is such a clumsy form of communication, yes? Perhaps that is why I have become to favour silence rather than retort. Yet again, here I am in reply. Seems a defensive response....

hmmmmm............

Never mind.

Peace/out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Wait.. Blackhorse has seen a bible in his lifetime?

Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Nice to see this one went off so well. Couldn't have happened to a nicer member of our little family here. I noticed a lot of crafting materials went out for this one. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of all that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Wiz...was not "correcting" you...was not ' clarifying' your comment...was concerned some might take it the wrong way...like I said. There have been ex-Squadron guys that have gone back and forth about this in the past and didn't want it to start up again. No worries.

PB - com'on, you've witnessed me witness here in the past...er...witnessing...here...oh, whatever. I used to work for a Seminary, remember? Lotsa Bibles in a Seminary, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:43 pm

Depends on the denomination.

Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:35 am

So...is this list of pilots having checked in still accurate?

We still have men Missing in Action?

WarlockBob X
Blackhorse X
Ozark Wizard X
beardedbassguy X
DrT999 X
d4klutz
Boulder&Briar X
nismo270r X
puros_bran X
kaitlyn3837 X
juanmedusa X
mejoshee X
fsu92john X
Jevverrett X
MichaelM X
Timbo X
Fr_Tom X
Ocelot55 X
PozzSka X
Fumus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:41 am

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

As amazing as this run was, I'm sad to see that we were short two folks who said they'd be in. Is everything okay guys?

If something comes up that requires you to pull out of a mission, just write us commanders and let us know. Things happen, and we get that. I promise we won't flog you with a porcupine or anything.... though maybe an opossum for dereliction of duty.

Fumus, d4klutz: write me when you get a chance. Let me know what happened to you guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:46 am

Blackhorse wrote:
So...is this list of pilots having checked in still accurate?

We still have men Missing in Action?

WarlockBob X
Blackhorse X
Ozark Wizard X
beardedbassguy X
DrT999 X
d4klutz
Boulder&Briar X
nismo270r X
puros_bran X
kaitlyn3837 X
juanmedusa X
mejoshee X
fsu92john X
Jevverrett X
MichaelM X
Timbo X
Fr_Tom X
Ocelot55 X
PozzSka X
Fumus

Do we need to organize a missing man formation?

"1 I lift up my eyes to the hillsó
from where will my help come?" Psalm 121
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:56 am

I did send an email to Fumus and he responded...is OK. Lots going on, some emergency stuff...he just needs to check in here with Commander Bob, etc.

dklutz???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:27 am

Gentlemen, this is what I meant when I said I was still trying to find my dining room table...

And everyone, great job. All of your gifts blew me away! I'm still flabbergasted. And thanks for the encouragement with my wood-working projects. I'm still making stuff up as I go with the tamper projects and such. I have never been very tool/wood-inclined, but if I set my mind to doing something, I can figure out a way to do it (even if it's the hardest and longest way of doing it LOL). But a few of you have really helped me out with giving me hints, tips, and tricks. Now I have a lot of new supplies to let my creativity run with, and that's so cool!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 am

Looks like utter devastation. Congrats! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:11 am

eklektos44 wrote:
Looks like utter devastation. Congrats! Smile

It was complete devastation! There are a couple things that didn't make it into the picture because I had already taken them to work or put them up because I didn't have space!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:12 am

I'm lovin' that pelt!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:26 am

Amazing!! I love getting to see the aftermath. This one shaped up real well. cherry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:52 pm

A very nice haul to a deserving bomber. Congrats. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I'm lovin' that pelt!

Yeah! It's rabbit! Oddly enough my partner collects furs when traveling or family will buy special ones for us but we haven't ever had a rabbit one. So it fits right in!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:29 pm

I always love to see the pictures of total devastation. Makes me smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run   Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Local County Fair usually has a few trappers with Winter pelts...Rabbit, fox, badger, coyote, bobcat, lynx, etc. Very interesting. The red fox is usually gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Star-Spangled Bombers!! BOB July Bombing Run
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next