HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Remember, this has not been smoked!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 am

Well, it looks smoked, but maybe...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:27 am

Perhaps it was only 'pre-smoked' . . . a few dozen times Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:09 pm

It might not have been smoked but it sure looks WELL USED Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:14 am

Even with the crappy pics, this one looks like it was retrieved from the reject bin. Also, I've never seen a new Italian pipe with a coating on the bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Wow - I'm baffled that someone made a stem colour that actually looks like oxidized Vulcanite! Shocked Most of us try hard to avoid that look..... Very Happy

If it indeed has not been smoked, it certainly makes up for it in dirt. On the up-side, you may be the only bidder!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:09 pm

I asked the seller about the unsmoked part and the coated bowl.   His answer was that the description is indeed accurate and that 20 yrs ago, 95% of all new pipes were coated.    

I wasn't smoking pipes back in the 90's ... so is that last comment a true statement?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:29 pm

tslots wrote:
I asked the seller about the unsmoked part and the coated bowl.   His answer was that the description is indeed accurate and that 20 yrs ago, 95% of all new pipes were coated.    

I wasn't smoking pipes back in the 90's ... so is that last comment a true statement?

Mauro Armellini to my knowledge never coated his bowls. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:45 pm

A real beauty there. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:30 pm

tslots wrote:

No. But a lot of cheap ones were. And that's a somewhat cheap pipe, judging by its appearance. Looks effed over by a previous owner, even if unsmoked. I've done it myself in my early years with lame pipes, the sandpaper, etc. Might be worth half its asking price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Remember, this has not been smoked!   Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:57 pm

They have a 100% rating on their feedback?  

I feel sorry for the poor soul that bites on that one.  Reminds me of some of the fairy tales I've heard through the years regarding cars.  "It's all original."  "It's a real SS."  "It has a posi in it."  "The engine is rebuilt."  "It just needs to have the cobwebs blown out."  

Granted, Mauro Armellini has made some unique creations that have not been aesthetically pleasing to me, but I've bought my share of his creations prior to his demise.  New? Unused?  Where's that nice heavy duty faux silk lined box, the chamois like stocking, and the uncut wire that runs through the bowl and stem spanning the open air between the stem and bowl?  Isn't that stem a beauty too?  Hopefully, no one thinks that is representative of an Armellini.  I've not bought one since he passed away, but from what I've seen, his daughter is staying true to his vision.  Excepting that fine specimen this thread is examining with a critical eye,  I'll say you get all your money's worth with an Armellini, and then some.  They are solid, the blast finishes are a mile deep, and they smoke very well, though you might find it takes a little time to break them in properly.  I've never seen a coated bowl on them either. Funny, I could care less about that orphan for sale, but I do care that the marque is being represented by it.  

Thus ends my rant of the month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Remember, this has not been smoked!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1