HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Does this seem high to you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:43 am

I see these from time to time up on ebay. The price seems absurd to me. Disclaimer: I have a pair of these I bought back in the mid 80's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-My-Mixture-Candles-Mini-Humidors-Porcelain-Set-of-Two-Pipe-Tobacco-/111690596223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a01473f7f

Lest anyone doubt my veracity..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:27 am

Too rich for my blood. If I found those at an antique store I'd try to get just the unburned one for under $40. But I'm not insanely interested in Dunhill tobacciana. They are neat though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:33 am

If they manage to sell at that price, no.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Richard Burley wrote:

Well, they ain't. And just because some boob is willing to overpay doesn't mean it's not overpriced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:15 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Well, they ain't. And just because some boob is willing to overpay doesn't mean it's not overpriced.

Hey, you're right. Anything over $0.00 would be overpriced for me. Minus the logo, they look like something on an old maiden aunt's mantle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
eklektos44 wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Hey, you're right. Anything over $0.00 would be overpriced for me. Minus the logo, they look like something on an old maiden aunt's mantle.

Guess they'll be disappointed...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:38 pm

For my own use I wouldn't pay fifty cents for both of them. The name "Dunhill" doesn't impress me. Granted they used to make a fine pipe but I believe those days are long gone. No

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:45 pm

For stinking candles! affraid
I swear, everybody on eBay is trying to retire tomorrow. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:17 pm

They are priced high but the seller does what I do by setting a high BIN with the option of letting guys make me an offer and hope to get a good price.
If he does not have the original double package I would split them up and sell them separately . I'm a big fan of Dunhill ephemera and have the candles and match holder/striker with the original packaging. I have them displayed on my little Dunhill alter with the large My Mixture jars Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:10 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Too rich for my blood. If I found those at an antique store I'd try to get just the unburned one for under $40. But I'm not insanely interested in Dunhill tobacciana. They are neat though.

I largely agree, but it would have to say 'Royal Yacht' rather than 'My Mixture' for me to be even that interested
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:21 pm

daveinlax wrote:
They are priced high but the seller does what I do by setting a high BIN with the option of letting guys make me an offer and hope to get a good price.
If he does not have the original double package I would split them up and sell them separately . I'm a big fan of Dunhill ephemera and have the candles and match holder/striker with the original packaging. I have them displayed on my little Dunhill alter with the large My Mixture jars Shocked    

I didn't see it at the time but a large My Mixture jar went for $89 back on June 15th, so the price on these seems a little excessive. The more normal range from the history is about $35 a piece or so, maybe $50-60 for a pair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Well, if they emit a hallucinatory gas from the flame it might be fun in my sweat lodge..........
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:47 pm

At $100 each, I don't think they are over priced. The large full size Dunhill humidors go for around $500 each, so in comparison, I doubt they are excessive.

It would also depend on how many of these smaller versions with candles were produced. Personally, I have never seen the smaller version with candles, but that doesn't mean there were minimal numbers produced.

Some of these collectible items are not as old as others, and that aspect can make a lot of difference in the collectability.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:25 pm

I have a full sized "My Mixture 965" humidor I bought in the New York dunhill store back in the mid '70s. I think I paid around $40.00 for it back then and used it for my 965 when I smoked it back then. They had some of those small ones like this seller has but I don't recall that they were candles. The big ones really did not work well as humidors though as they had not real sealing system so it eventually went up on a shelf to become a dust catcher and now is wrapped and in a box in a closet !! The big ones are neat looking for sure but those "baby" ones just don't have the right proportions !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem high to you?   Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:52 pm

I've only seen one that I consider worth having. I usually prefer to store my tobacco in a Mason Jar. However my very good friend Walt (pepesdad1) found this jar and had it personalized. He sent it to me and it now has a place of honor sitting on my mantle. It's PRICELESS. Smile

AJ

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Does this seem high to you?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1