HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Badger brush?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:25 am

I have a boar as well as a Shavemac d01 custom. Majority of the time I prefer the feel of the d01. It's more dense and just feels nice. I enjoy my boar once and a while. I use creams and a scuttle so I don't need what the face lathers do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:22 am

Monbla - Your new brush looks beautiful and you should get another 50 years out of that one as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:54 am

I"m one of those guys that likes softy bristles as well, lol. I was going to order the same recommended brush as Monbla but going through a consignment shop recently I came across a brand new silver tip badger brush and was blown away from the quality for a mere $12. I've used it for a month now and it's amazing. My old grand dad's brush finally just wore out after about 80 years of use!!!! This new brush is a treat to use everyday even though it has no history. It'll be good for another few generations I"m sure.
Andy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:19 am

Doc, I'm sure you'll go on loving it. I was steered right all those years ago; Badger is Best!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:11 am

docwatson wrote:
I"m one of those guys that likes softy bristles as well, lol. I was going to order the same recommended brush as Monbla but going through a consignment shop recently I came across a brand new silver tip badger brush and was blown away from the quality for a mere $12. I've used it for a month now and it's amazing. My old grand dad's brush finally just wore out after about 80 years of use!!!! This new brush is a treat to use everyday even though it has no history. It'll be good for another few generations I"m sure.
Andy

Andy,
THAT'S the best deal on a new silvertip ever !! As it "breaks in", you'll get loads of nice rich lather from your Williams soap !! As you know from your grand dad's they only get better with use !! Enjoy your new "find" and keep shopping at that shop !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info and kind comments. It was surely an incredible find. Couldn't believe it when I saw that beautiful brush for such a reasonable price. And yes, the Williams it the old standard for me as it is for you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Interesting reading gents.

I am definitely one for tradition but I'm going to pop a spanner in the works here.

I was gifted a Plisson brush for Christmas that I've been very impressed with. Granted, being my first I've not got anything to compare it to, but that said, it does what it's meant to - generates lots of lather very quickly and feels great on the face. All good so far, but I must share with you that it's synthetic.

Now as I understand it Plisson are a French brand that are respected in the shaving world and have a great pedigree. It seems they've put a lot of research into this brush as it's highly regarded in the shaving community and is referred to as the BOTG - Brush of the Gods.

So, if you haven't done so already and you're in the market for a new brush, maybe this one is worth a look?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Stick wrote:

I am definitely one for tradition but I'm going to pop a spanner in the works here.

I was gifted a Plisson brush for Christmas that I've been very impressed with.  Granted, being my first I've not got anything to compare it to, but that said, it does what it's meant to - generates lots of lather very quickly and feels great on the face.  All good so far, but I must share with you that it's synthetic.

Now as I understand it Plisson are a French brand that are respected in the shaving world and have a great pedigree.  It seems they've put a lot of research into this brush as it's highly regarded in the shaving community and is referred to as the BOTG - Brush of the Gods.

So, if you haven't done so already and you're in the market for a new brush, maybe this one is worth a look?

Stick.
I went to the Plisson site and found what I think are the brushes you mentioned you now have ? There pricing is similar to Badger but more than Boar ranging from $38.97 to $246.40 !! They look nice for sure.

http://blaireauxplisson.com/en/39-shavingbrushes-fiber
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Plisson! Thanks very much for bringing back to mind the name of my brush, Stick. I thought it was as gone from view as much as the box it came in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:23 pm

Just got this in an e-mail today and thought all you brush guys( no matter what type) might find it informative !! Twisted Evil

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/153a3cadc2fa00ec
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:08 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Stick wrote:

I was gifted a Plisson brush for Christmas that I've been very impressed with.  Granted, being my first I've not got anything to compare it to, but that said, it does what it's meant to - generates lots of lather very quickly and feels great on the face.  All good so far, but I must share with you that it's synthetic.

Now as I understand it Plisson are a French brand that are respected in the shaving world and have a great pedigree.  It seems they've put a lot of research into this brush as it's highly regarded in the shaving community and is referred to as the BOTG - Brush of the Gods.

Stick.
I went to the Plisson site and found what I think are the brushes you mentioned you now have ?  There pricing is similar to Badger but more than Boar ranging from $38.97 to $246.40 !! They look nice for sure.

Yup, that's the chappies Michael. If you're able to pick one up for close to $40, by UK standards you'll have done very well. They're very cleverly made. If you look very closely at individual fibres in the knot they even have a wave in them like the real thing and are tapered along their length. If you pulled the trigger, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:09 pm

smoker13 wrote:
Plisson! Thanks very much for bringing back to mind the name of my brush, Stick.  I thought it was as gone from view as much as the box it came in

...pleased I could help!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:25 pm

As I mentioned earlier, I paid $35 for my Plusson Badger brush in 1982 and I'm still using it nearly daily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Stick wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Stick wrote:

Stick.
I went to the Plisson site and found what I think are the brushes you mentioned you now have ?  There pricing is similar to Badger but more than Boar ranging from $38.97 to $246.40 !! They look nice for sure.

Yup, that's the chappies Michael.  If you're able to pick one up for close to $40, by UK standards you'll have done very well.  They're very cleverly made.  If you look very closely at individual fibres in the knot they even have a wave in them like the real thing and are tapered along their length.  If you pulled the trigger, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Stick,
I only need ONE brush and my new one will last me till I die so why would I want to get another? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Did you look at that e-mail I posted about brush care ? Some interesting stuff that was new to me !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Mm, fair point Michael.

I wasn't able to open the article mate. You may need to cut and paste the main content?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 pm

Stick wrote:
Mm, fair point Michael.

I wasn't able to open the article mate. You may need to cut and paste the main content?

Let,s see if this works:

http://wetshavingproducts.com/pages/brush-techniques
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:57 am

monbla256 wrote:
Stick wrote:
Mm, fair point Michael.

Let,s see if this works:

http://wetshavingproducts.com/pages/brush-techniques

Yes, got it now Michael, thank you.

Some interesting stuff there. Not sure if I'm convinced about the vinegar bath. In my mind if it was effective the solution should turn cloudy with the soap deposits. Maybe the vid wasn't representative. Worth a go I suppose when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:09 pm

I couldn't really say one way or t'other concerning the vinegar bath, but since they make brushes and I don't, I'd have to go with what they state about it till I could prove otherwise. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Tue May 31, 2016 11:08 am

I'm not particularly taken by his shapes, but I appreciate his videos a lot. If anyone wants an idea how of how pipe makers make their custom bit blanks, this should interest them as well. The video about the various knots is worth watching, too.

https://www.landlgrooming.com/pages/gallery
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Tue May 31, 2016 3:36 pm

Not long after my posts above I decided it was high time to experience a natural bristle.  As others have already alluded to, the price of a good quality badger can make your eyes water so I settled upon a boar bristled Semogue 1520.  It's an attractive hand painted little number that cost approx. £12, placing it at the budget end of the Semogue range.  

It started off being pretty spikey but has softened with time / use and the resulting increasing quantity of split ends.  It didn't smell bad either as some had suggested it might.  I started the breaking in process by standing it in hot water for an hour or so and then going through several cycles of soaping and rinsing before leaving it over night fully soaped up.  After a couple of uses all I could smell was the scent of my favourite soap.

I've been using it for a month or so now and I'm pleased to report that I think it's a great brush.  It's scritchier than the Plisson but not hugely so and serves as a nice alternative to the Plisson when the mood takes.

So, if like me you fancy a natural bristle but don't want to sell a kidney for the pleasure, a boar brush from the Semogue stable is well worth a look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:16 pm

I'm starting to hate this brush, a Semogue something pig hair. Too soft. Like lathering with a limp mop, or a rag. Are they supposed to splay like this? What if I give it a hair cut? I think drugstore cheapos are the thing for me.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Richard; as I said earlier, Badger is the ONLY way to go !! Here's one that I just got from Wet Shaving Products this year for a reasonable $59.99. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:53 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
I'm starting to hate this brush, a Semogue something pig hair. Too soft. Like lathering with a limp mop, or a rag. Are they supposed to splay like this? What if I give it a hair cut? I think drugstore cheapos are the thing for me.
From what I can tell, boar lovers want their brushes to bloom like that.  Heck, almost everyone with boar, badger, horse, or  X hair desire their brushes to bloom.  The problem you're having there is the hair might not be densely packed, so you don't have any backbone, as they say.  I have an Omega boar that is blooming nicely, but it has a ton of backbone, too.  It doesn't flop around at all.  You either got a bad brush, or that particular model is designed to do that.  It's not because it is a boar.  It has less to do with the hair type than the density of the hair packed into the circle.  Another factor would be loft if the hair was taller than it seems to be in that photo, which sort of addresses your question about trimming it.  The shorter the hair, theoretically, the more the backbone you'd achieve.  If I were to trim it, I'd take very little off; like maybe 1mm at a time.

I'd recommend a synthetic.  Most people love them, including many who hate to admit they do a great job and make their $300 Simpson a questionable purchase.  No soaking; get wet and use.  They don't eat lather, which anyone with hard water probably battles.  Inexpensive.  I've been eyeing one of these myself:  http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-24mm-synthetic-shaving-brush-marble-handle/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:17 am

Mr. Zeno Marx: Duly noted. Maggard is one of my favorite retailers, and for 12 bucks how can I go wrong? The reviews are enticing. Thank you. (The brush of mine pictured above actually goes flat against my face when wet and soaped up. Ridiculous. Think I'll toss it.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Mr. Zeno Marx: Duly noted. Maggard is one of my favorite retailers, and for 12 bucks how can I go wrong? The reviews are enticing. Thank you. (The brush of mine pictured above actually goes flat against my face when wet and soaped up. Ridiculous. Think I'll toss it.)
you might be able to sell the handle for a couple bucks. a lot of people are putting their own knots into handles these days. Yank the old one out and epoxy a new one in. heck, if you like that handle, you could do that with the same knot in the brush I posted and save a few bucks. Maggards sells just the knot. That's kind of a neat acrylic handle on yours. Personally, I'd keep it and maybe throw it in a sale, if and when you have any type online sales. It's a shame to think it would hit the garbage.

Last edited by Zeno Marx on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Badger brush?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Haberdashery-
Jump to: