HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Badger brush?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:
Mr. Zeno Marx: Duly noted. Maggard is one of my favorite retailers, and for 12 bucks how can I go wrong? The reviews are enticing. Thank you. (The brush of mine pictured above actually goes flat against my face when wet and soaped up. Ridiculous. Think I'll toss it.)
you might be able to sell the handle for a couple bucks.  a lot of people are putting their own knots into handles these days.  that's kind of a neat acrylic handle on that one.  Personally, I'd keep it and maybe throw it in a sale, if and when you have any type online sales.  It's a shame to think it would hit the garbage.

It's resting on an upended whisky glass, so that may contribute to its looks. But you're right--I'll keep it around. But I ordered the synthetic. Couldn't help myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:01 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
...I'd recommend a synthetic.  Most people love them, including many who hate to admit they do a great job and make their $300 Simpson a questionable purchase.  No soaking; get wet and use.  They don't eat lather, which anyone with hard water probably battles.  Inexpensive.  I've been eyeing one of these myself:  

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-24mm-synthetic-shaving-brush-marble-handle/

This brush is great! And cheap! Recommended. Plenty of backbone, yet smooth, it's kind of heavy, looks great and "together." PM me your address and I'll buy ya' one. Thanks, Mr. Marx.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:12 pm

The Maggards 24mm brown marble (modeled after a Kent handle) is indeed a wonderful brush. Only a single shave with it, but I can already see it solving my hard water problem. Natural hair + extremely hard water = a pain in the butt. The combination of the two, at least from my hard fought experience, is a soap eater. Not only does this Maggards produce a great lather and feel fantastic on the face, it also uses less soap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:48 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
...Not only does this Maggards produce a great lather and feel fantastic on the face, it also uses less soap.

I agree. Hey, Nick--if soap is a problem, get the great big chunk of Cella that some places sell. You won't have to worry about soap for a long, long time. I prefer D.R. Harris Windsor, mostly for the scent, but the Cella works great for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:55 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:
...Not only does this Maggards produce a great lather and feel fantastic on the face, it also uses less soap.

I agree. Hey, Nick--if soap is a problem, get the great big chunk of Cella that some places sell. You won't have to worry about soap for a long, long time. I prefer D.R. Harris Windsor, mostly for the scent, but the Cella works great for me.
I've tried a few soaps now. Soaps that are known to be easy and good latherers. It's my water. It creates all kinds of problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Badger brush?   Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:07 am

Simpson 3x Commodore was my first brush. IMHO, a good entry level quality brush.

As a diehard face-lather evangelist, my next brush was a behemoth: 30m best Badger, that's very dense and has great backbone. Still WELL under the $100 mark.

I like and have enjoyed both brushes immensely, and especially my progression. There's no use in going out and buying a Kent 12 or Chubby 3 in Super Badger, unless you have money to burn and don't have a problem seeing that money sit next to your bathroom sink. Well, unless you're......well, you know! Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Badger brush?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Haberdashery-
Jump to: