HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Standard

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:57 pm

Rich perhaps pipes are not as standard as they appear from far away in the movies. But I watch alot of 30's movies and many seem pretty standard. EGR for instance I've seen smoking some pretty nice standard looking pipes...but I've also seen him with saddle bits, or pipes with the long metal band in the middle. It seems in alot of period pieces they make now that depict pipe smoking they use a very standard looking pipe for instance in that movie stonehearst asylum Ben Kingsley smokes a pretty plain looking billiard/dublin with a large bowl. Also if you've seen that show Peaky Blinders there is a copper who smokes he's also got a similar pipe. The main thing i've noticed is the pipes are ALWAYS dark/walnut stained and I really like that. I spent hours on ebay and the pipe sites .. pretty much nowhere at all could find a new or old unsmoked pipe that matched what i'm looking for (like the peterson dublin). I'm wondering why is it so hard to come by a pipe like this?

Dutch, thanks for tip...what is it that makes "secondhandsmokers" no good?

PS does peterson make a modern day version of a pipe like that? Or does anyone know a keyword i can use when searching for a similar model. that one is called the dublin x 951 i think. I love how it's simple and has no distracting markings or logo. I'm partly irish so maybe that makes me partial to that model but I'd love to own a pipe like that..doesnt have to be a collectors item though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:56 pm

If it didn't have 'distracting marking and logo' how would you know what it is?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:04 pm

puros_bran wrote:
If it didn't have 'distracting marking and logo' how would you know what it is?  

I don't mind brand stamping in the briar so much as I dislike the crowns, savinelli in white on the stem. Just a preference thing...I like the blue spades on walnut stained grabows. I'm sure everyone is different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:06 pm

As I've mentioned before try Savinelli  as their 128 model of Billiard is as "standard" as you can get. Here's an example of one in the Aurelia series at $80.00 brand new and it does use the 6mm balsa filters if you want but I have several Savs that do and I don't use 'em and they smoke just fine!! If the small brass band is not to your liking I don't know what to say but a BRAND NEW quality briar pipe from one of the BEST production makers ( and oldest around still today) at LESS than $100.00 Is not bad ! And if you dislike the Sav logo on the stem, then forget I mentioned this or any other Sav as you need to stick with your beloved KW's and Dr. Gs and be done with it ! Twisted Evil

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=168280
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:23 pm

monbla256 wrote:
As I've mentioned before try Savinelli  as their 128 model of Billiard is as "standard" as you can get. Here's an example of one in the Aurelia series at $80.00 brand new and it does use the 6mm balsa filters if you want but I have several Savs that do and I don't use 'em and they smoke just fine!! If the small brass band is not to your liking I don't know what to say but a BRAND NEW quality briar pipe from one of the BEST production makers ( and oldest around still today) at LESS than $100.00 Is not bad ! And if you dislike the Sav logo on the stem, then forget I mentioned this or any other Sav as you need to stick with your beloved KW's and Dr. Gs and be done with it !  Twisted Evil

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=168280

I like the savinelli one that one is real nice too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks bla mon I'll put that one on my list. I'm trying to find my perfect pipe...dark stained no band sva logo I could deal with. Hey mon do y have any savinelli seconds?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Thanks bla mon I'll put that one on my list. I'm trying to find my perfect pipe...dark stained no band sva logo I could deal with. Hey mon do y have any savinelli seconds?

Not that I'm aware of. They made many of the "basket" pipes stamped Made in Italy years ago and you could tell by the model numbers on them, same as the firsts by style. They also made many "in house" branded pipes for B&Ms back in the 70's/80's as well. If you want to pay OTC pipe prices for new pipes I'm afraid THAT'S what you'll have to stay with as most other new pipe prices from most others will be higher ! As far as the Sav logo, the white does wear off with time and I've NEVER found that IT effected the smoking of the pipe JMHO  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Take a look at this one as you get a whole lott for your $s with it !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=163350
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:54 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:

Bugs, he simply doesn't provide full disclosure on all of his estate pipes. If the pipe has had obvious issues like a broken shank, or has been topped, he will withhold that information unless you specifically ask. Once you have the pipe in hand, if you have a keen eye, spot the issue and ask for a refund, he will refund your money. However, you are out the shipping costs to return the item. This is how he is able to maintain his 100% feedback rating.

Once he receives the pipe back, he will promptly list it again, hoping to sell it to an unsuspecting greenhorn, who doesn't have the experience to spot the flaw.

Obviously, every pipe he sells doesn't have issues, but the ones that do, he has no problem listing them.

I don't care to do business with people who play games, and require wasting my valuable time, in order to get resolution on an issue that should have been disclosed in the original listing, as a matter of ethical business practices.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:14 am

Dutch wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:

Bugs, he simply doesn't provide full disclosure on all of his estate pipes. If the pipe has had obvious issues like a broken shank, or has been topped, he will withhold that information unless you specifically ask. Once you have the pipe in hand, if you have a keen eye, spot the issue and ask for a refund, he will refund your money. However, you are out the shipping costs to return the item. This is how he is able to maintain his 100% feedback rating.

Once he receives the pipe back, he will promptly list it again, hoping to sell it to an unsuspecting greenhorn, who doesn't have the experience to spot the flaw.

Obviously, every pipe he sells doesn't have issues, but the ones that do, he has no problem listing them.

I don't care to do business with people who play games, and require wasting my valuable time, in order to get resolution on an issue that should have been disclosed in the original listing, as a matter of ethical business practices.

Thanks Dutch! It's important to spread about the word about bad ebay sellers I appreciate that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:23 am

I wonder if it's so hard to find the simple pipe I'm looking for because I some point the standard plain looking quintessential pipe fell out favor as "too ordinary" and now pipe makers all make their pipes try to stand out with nuances or unique attributes. It really is ridiculous though if you look through the major pipe sites literally nothing except the dunhills fit my description. I feel like the companies are so out of touch with what consumers want..or maybe I am unique in my desire for simplicity?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:03 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
I wonder if it's so hard to find the simple pipe I'm looking for because I some point the standard plain looking quintessential pipe fell out favor as "too ordinary" and now pipe makers all make their  pipes try to stand out with nuances or unique attributes. It really is ridiculous though if you look through the major pipe sites literally nothing except the dunhills fit my description. I feel like the companies are so out of touch with what consumers want..or maybe I am unique in my desire for simplicity?

Comoy's Tradition. Standard billiard. $40 I have a bent pebble grain that's along the same lines from the same seller. Smokes fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comoys-of-London-Billiard-Traditional-182-/391167506459?hash=item5b1366781b
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:37 am

Of course if you hold that Dunhill you will see that they put a white spot right in the middle of the stem.

And no, the makers haven't lost touch with the market.. If you haven't noticed the rest of us like to be able to identify who made a pipe. It comes in handy to determine its potential worth. Also, if you look closer at those old pipes you are holding as the standard you will see that each and every one of them had those type 'rackets' also.. Pipedia has an entire compendium on what marks belonged to what maker.

If you are looking for a billiard and are willing to suffer through a white spot or a white p or two dashes like everyone else that smokes a pipe go to smokingpipes.com and use their pipe locator to help find one.. They had 645 listed a minute ago. If that kinda logo is totally unacceptable get a handmade and request no logo. You are riddling this up with angst man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:58 am

P&C no logo Baraccini billiard in dark walnut. About as plain as you get. $49 I don't know a thing about the manufacturer so you takes your chances.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/84895/baraccini-dark-walnut-pipes/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:53 am

Another two cents, or even less: Don't forget Savinelli Duca Carlos or Rossi, which I suspect are the same thing. They have very dark stains. You're aware, I assume, that makers generally use dark stains to mask unattractive grain? Another point: briars darken with heavy use over time.

Love the "legs" of this thread. It's up to five pages now. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:01 pm

puros_bran wrote:
  Of course if you hold that Dunhill you will see that they put a white spot right in the middle of the stem.

And no, the makers haven't lost touch with the market.. If you haven't noticed the rest of us like to be able to identify who made a pipe. It comes in handy to determine its potential worth.   Also, if you look closer at those old pipes you are holding as the standard you will see that each and every one of them had those type 'rackets' also.. Pipedia has an entire compendium on what marks belonged to what maker.

If you are looking for a billiard and are willing to suffer through a white spot or a white p or two dashes like everyone else that smokes a pipe  go to smokingpipes.com and use their pipe locator to help find one.. They had 645 listed a minute ago.    If that kinda logo is totally unacceptable get a handmade and request no logo.   You are riddling this up with angst man.  

Your misunderstanding me. I don't think the small iconic dot on the dunhills is distracting...it's tasteful and that's my point. Many of the modern day logos I find too 21st century looking and what I like about smoking is it transports me to a time long gone and accompanies my Billie holiday and artie shaw records perfectly. Again I...I as in me likes pipe that a simple , dark and don't have more than a tasteful white dot or blue spade. That's my preferences. I like pipes that look like they are right out of the thirties. Looking through billiards on smokingpipes returns a number of simple standards that I find aesthetically pleasing. But there's a god awful lot of ugly looking fuckers. Again that's JUST ME I like things that look old school
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:04 pm

Hey E, thanks that's a great deal on the comoy. The one from P&C I'm a little skeptical about but it's the exact shape and design I'm talking. Very tasteful! I've also seen some nice on smoking pipes like the Sebastian beo billiard but it does seem harder to find the dark walnut/chestnut stain on most pipes which I really really love
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Another two cents, or even less: Don't forget Savinelli Duca Carlos or Rossi, which I suspect are the same thing. They have very dark stains. You're aware, I assume, that makers generally use dark stains to mask unattractive grain? Another point: briars darken with heavy use over time.

Love the "legs" of this thread. It's up to five pages now. Laughing

Thanks mr burley. I didn't know that about dark stains. Why is it that most dunhills are dark stained? I don't care for the lighter stains or true grains honestly. For what it's worth in all my 20s grabows i haven't ever seen a fill but maybe I just can't tell
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:18 pm

I agree with the idea that many of the pipes are hideous.. They just sell as someone is buying them or they wouldn't stock them. But hey, smoke what ya like.

I'm not as big a Savinelli fan as some on here but that Mark has been around since possibly 1876 but for sure since 1920.
Comoys since 1825. Peterson is celebrating 150 years this year. Dunhill was a relative late comer not even bothering to open his shop until 1906.. Johnny Come Lately lol.

Anyway, you are correct. I dont get it. These '21st century marks' are for the most part not even 20th century marks.. They are 19th century marks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
...Why is it that most dunhills are dark stained? I don't care for the lighter stains or true grains honestly. For what it's worth in all my 20s grabows i haven't ever seen a fill but maybe I just can't tell

Standard Dunhills have never been known for having pretty grain. They just never cared. Great wood, but not particularly pretty, and I assume they want to hide the fact or just like the esthetic. When they do get anything resembling a flame or straight grain they charge an arm and a leg for it, and use a lighter stain so it shows. Your Grabows may have fills; it doesn't really matter. Peterson and Savinelli have them. Sometimes. The more I read your commentary, the more I think you should either stick with the Grabows--nothing wrong with that--or go for a Dunhill or other British pipe. Or Kaywoodie. We're talkin' films from the '30s, right? Seems like that would cover it. I think I get your point; I just don't get that they're hard to find. But I sympathize--I've been looking for the perfect bulldog for decades.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:52 pm

puros_bran wrote:
I agree with the idea that many of the pipes are hideous.. They just sell as someone is buying them or they wouldn't stock them. But hey, smoke what ya like.

I'm not as big a Savinelli fan as some on here but that Mark has been around since possibly 1876 but for sure since 1920.  
Comoys since 1825.  Peterson is celebrating 150 years this year.  Dunhill was a relative late comer not even bothering to open his shop until 1906.. Johnny Come Lately lol.  

Anyway, you are correct. I dont get it.  These '21st century marks' are for the most part not even 20th century marks.. They are 19th century marks.  

Reactionary.. jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NAJ_ile

Registration date : 2015-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Probably has already been mentioned but the Savinelli 114KS fits that bill as well and i believe comes in a couple of different finishes, the one I like being the Marron Glace, the little brother of which (207) I already own and love!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:15 pm

edit

Last edited by Bugsahearn on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:57 pm

You keep returning to Dr. G's so why bother looking at others and just focus on them ? They seem to have all the facets that fit your requirements so why bother with looking at any others ? as to whether these you show are smoked or not is really a judgement call you and the seller have to make. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:32 pm

monbla256 wrote:
You keep returning to Dr. G's so why bother looking at others and just focus on them ? They seem to have all the facets that fit your requirements so why bother with looking at any others ?

hey monbla, I am def going to get a savinelli. Still like some of the models of the grabows though. Can any of you experienced smokers tell me what this is on the bowl? I was wondering if might be mold from from the grabow paper sitting in the bowl for decades?
I'm hoping ts not I've seen it on some other older nos pipes. Is anyone sure what it is? Thanks

" />

Also I got this nice little unknown pipe today just says imported briar. Anybody know what brand it is from the logo?

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Standard   Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Strange I can't find it pipephil and that site is pretty good about searching by single letter logos. It had a stinger that I pulled out, the bowl isn;t carbon caked and it just says imported briar with the circled L logo
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Standard
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next