HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm a big fan of George Dibos work and after seeing some of his re-stems, I couldn't resist sending him this 1998 Ashton Old Church.
I never liked the rather ungainly saddle stem on this pipe and I'm definitely an aficionado of the tapered stem.
George turned this one around in less than one week. The worksmanship is first class and turned a good pipe into a great pipe.
I think George just might be the best re-stem guy in currently working.

Before:

After:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:50 pm

One word - elegant!

Cool 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:36 pm

George does excellent work but, don't let it go to his head............oops! too late.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:54 pm

Really improves the look of the pipe! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:19 pm

THAT"S gotta be a FACTORY stem !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil If not Ashton needs to send him their pipes to stem !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:23 pm

George is one of the founding members here and has contributed quite heavily to the continuation of the joint. Good people.

There's nothing more to say about his work, countless thousands of pipes bear his handiwork and its plastered all over the web.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:42 am

I agree 100%, the pipe was transformed from just being a pipe to a piece of art. Well done!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:37 am

monbla256 wrote:
THAT"S gotta be a FACTORY stem !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  If not Ashton needs to send him their pipes to stem !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I agree. I have always wondered about doing this, being a bit hesitant due to concerns re shank taper, or lack of taper. A huge improvement, in my opinion, as I prefer tapered over saddle. This opens up new possibilities for the PAD-afflicted. Wonder if he can do a tapered bent diamond-shanked bulldog, converted from saddle? Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:52 am

That looks great Al. Very nicely done.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:53 am

He sure can. George has been posting his classic pipe re-stems over on the PipesMagazine.com forums, Peterson, etc.
It
Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
THAT"S gotta be a FACTORY stem !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  If not Ashton needs to send him their pipes to stem !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I agree. I have always wondered about doing this, being a bit hesitant due to concerns re shank taper, or lack of taper. A huge improvement, in my opinion, as I prefer tapered over saddle. This opens up new possibilities for the PAD-afflicted. Wonder if he can do a tapered bent diamond-shanked bulldog, converted from saddle? Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Beautiful work. How do In contact him? I've got several pipes I'd like to have new stems. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:04 pm

riff raff wrote:
Contact George thru:
http://www.precisionpiperepair.com/

Actually, no. That address hasn't been active for quite a while.

I've been using my personal email lately, and PMs.

I haven't logged onto this board in a long time (until this minute---PB gave me a heads-up), but will start checking for PMs now that you posted this thread, Al. (This sort of thing always generates a few, I'm discovering.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Very impressive! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks George!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:32 pm

I credit my stem making abilities to the fact that George doesn't mind that I call him and bother him at least once a week. That and the fact that I take every pipe on my bench to the GKCPC meeting every month so he can tear it apart (critique wise) and tell me what I need to improve. George is my stem Yoda cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:40 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
George does excellent work but, don't let it go to his head............oops! too late.

Suspect
Rolling Eyes
He's the best in the business. 'Nuff said.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:05 pm

Again additional proof of George's skill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:57 pm

To my eye, the shape or line or whatever you want to call it is much improved with the new stem. Wow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:01 am

I've smoked the pipe a few times since receiving it and I just keep marveling at the shape. George took a millimeter or so off the width of the button end. The original had pretty good mouth feel, Georges stem is perfect. I may have a few more candidates for George to work his magic on, later this winter!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:40 am

George's wizardry on my old pre republic Peterson. [ http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t20276-dressed-to-the-nines ] Though it came to me unsmoked, time had taken it's toll on the original vulcanite stem. Since I'm no fan of the P lip anyhow, I asked George to make a nice acrylic fishtail stem for it. The pipe is so thick he had to go to some lengtht o find a fat enough piece of rod stock to cut the stem. He dubbed the pipe The Sumo Shank. Smokes like a dream.

riff raff

PostSubject: Re: By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)   Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:27 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
George's wizardry on my old pre republic Peterson. [ http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t20276-dressed-to-the-nines ] Though it came to me unsmoked, time had taken it's toll on the original vulcanite stem. Since I'm no fan of the P lip anyhow, I asked George to make a nice acrylic fishtail stem for it. The pipe is so thick he had to go to some lengtht o find a fat enough piece of rod stock to cut the stem. He dubbed the pipe The Sumo Shank. Smokes like a dream.

Ah yes, I remember that 999, back in 2012! (since then, I have finally acquired a pre-Republic, chubby 999) The "Pipe Whisperer" tag made me smile.

I have two, Peterson 9BC pipes, both with P-lips. I wonder what one would look like with a George Dibos stem?

I might be done buying pipes for a while and just concentrate on my making the ones I own, Dibos-Better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

By George - He's done it again (Ashton Old Church Restem)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1