HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

So I Finally Tried it !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pipedreamer973

Registration date : 2014-10-19

PostSubject: So I Finally Tried it !   Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:25 am

After reading countless reviews extolling the virtues of the humble OTC Carter Hall in a cob with good coffee, today I finally tried it myself and after but one bowl can honestly say that I completely understand the attraction. FYI: I used one of my favorite Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentlemen with a bent Danish stem. A primary reason that I had not tried this sooner was the lack of availability of CH at any B&M thus I had to order it online.

As many others have said, the smoke is "nutty" and consistent and yes, I'll say it; wonderful in it's own unique fashion- very relaxing with billowing smoke plumes and it stays lit to boot.

Seek elsewhere if you are in the mood for a more complex experience but if it's a solid, flavorful, no nonsense and truly pleasurable smoke with no surprises I highly recommend the Carter Hall, cob and coffee experience. A delightfully soothing conclusion to any long day at work, my friends.  

I've heard that PipesandCigars Hearth and Home Chatham Manor is a match for Carter Hall. Can anyone who has smoked both please provide us with a review comparing the two?

In any event, it's so good to add this option to the range of potential experiences available via my pipe rack.  My thanks to all who have posted previously singing it's praises. I am now definitely a believer.  Very Happy

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:42 am

Good review. Like you I find CH is delicious in my Country Gentleman but instead of coffee I have iced tea. You'll find it builds cake really fast so it's a great blend to break in a new briar. Happy smoking friend.  Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:56 am

Reading your post I just realized I have more CH in stock than anything else. I like to have several unopened tubs in reserve in case the Apocalypse should descend upon us. Yeah, it's a good, basic pipe tobacco, one that makes a pipe actually taste and smell like a pipe should. (Just my opinion, needless to say.) Haven't tried the other, and wonder why it exists if the original is available. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:03 am

Here's my Chatham Manor review where I compare it to Carter Hall. If you'll check in the Tobacco Jar section, you'll find my reviews of the 44 match blends, all but one made by Sutliff.

The original Carter Hall is fairly nutty with some molasses, and a mild chocolate taste. Chatham Manor, which is a Match for CH, is slightly more chocolatey, a little less nutty with about the same amount of molasses. I think there’s just a little more red Virginia in the CM. Both have the same toppings: light bourbon and cocoa. Both burn well and even with very few relights. Sometimes, there can be a cigarette note in CH when puffed too fast. That’s not true of Chatham Manor. Overall, while a fairly close Match in some respects, Chatham Manor has a little richer, deeper, more consistent flavor that doesn’t weaken at the finish or leave any dottle. Some times, Carter Hall can lose some flavor near the end, and if puffed very fast, could sport a harsh note or two. That doesn’t happen with this version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipedreamer973

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:37 am

JimInks wrote:
Here's my Chatham Manor review where I compare it to Carter Hall. If you'll check in the Tobacco Jar section, you'll find my reviews of the 44 match blends, all but one made by Sutliff.

The original Carter Hall is fairly nutty with some molasses, and a mild chocolate taste. Chatham Manor, which is a Match for CH, is slightly more chocolatey, a little less nutty with about the same amount of molasses. I think there’s just a little more red Virginia in the CM. Both have the same toppings: light bourbon and cocoa. Both burn well and even with very few relights. Sometimes, there can be a cigarette note in CH when puffed too fast. That’s not true of Chatham Manor. Overall, while a fairly close Match in some respects, Chatham Manor has a little richer, deeper, more consistent flavor that doesn’t weaken at the finish or leave any dottle. Some times, Carter Hall can lose some flavor near the end, and if puffed very fast, could sport a harsh note or two. That doesn’t happen with this version.

So I take it from your excellent review that you actually prefer the CM over the CH ? I've heard other long time smokers of CH say similar things. I tried to get a sample of the CM but it is on back order. I don't want to invest in a 14 oz. tub of something I haven't even tasted, as you can readily understand, but I will indeed check it out ASAP.

Thanks for your review and thanks to all who posted in this thread thus far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipedreamer973

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:14 am

ajn27511 wrote:
Good review. Like you I find CH is delicious in my Country Gentleman but instead of coffee I have iced tea. You'll find it builds cake really fast so it's a great blend to break in a new briar. Happy smoking friend.  Smile

AJ

While I haven't yet tried Carter Hall in a briar ( I'm just loving it in my cobs right now! Very Happy ) I did smoke a few bowls with iced tea and definitely enjoyed that as well. Thanks for the tip, mate. I will eventually try CH in a briar as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipedreamer973

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:02 am

Pipedreamer973 wrote:
ajn27511 wrote:

AJ

While I haven't yet tried Carter Hall in a briar ( I'm just loving it in my cobs right now!  Very Happy ) I did smoke a few bowls with iced tea and definitely enjoyed that as well.  Thanks for the tip, mate.   I will eventually try CH in a briar as well.

Well, I have now tried CH in a briar- one of my best ;a Savinelli Joker Bulldog and it was indeed, rather uneventful. Apparently 'tis true that CH is best experienced in a cob. Anyway, I am definitely sold on it and today ordered a tub of Carter Hall ! Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:09 am

Well heck I can only seem to find Hearth & Home Mid-Town Chatham Manor at Pipes and Cigars and they won't ship it to Washington State. Nice, another blend I can't get. Does anyone know of another source?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:15 am

RobJ wrote:
Well heck I can only seem to find Hearth & Home Mid-Town Chatham Manor at Pipes and Cigars and they won't ship it to Washington State. Nice, another blend I can't get. Does anyone know of another source?

I'm not sure if Smoking Pipes will ship to Washington but they do carry Hearth & Home blends. I didn't see the one you wanted listed but I'm pretty sure they could get it for you if requested. Might be worth an email or phone call. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:19 am

What's the deal with Washington State? Can't youse guys at least order stuff through a B & M?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
RobJ

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Great idea AJ, I usually buy from Smoking Pipes. The strange thing is I have bought from P&C in the past without issue. Maybe it depends on the blend? I dunno but it looks like they won't even ship CH to WA.

Mr. B. Well it probably has to do with the fact that Western WA (Seattle//Tacoma/Bellingham) is loaded with burned out old hippies, young wannabes, hipsters and a variety of other ne'er do wells. Perhaps they just don't want to support such lifestyle choices?

I don't know of any B&M pipe shops anywhere near where I live and believe me driving to the ones nearer Seattle I do know of is an all day affair as bad as the traffic is around here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:53 pm

Just to follow up, I got a response from SP, they'll let me know early this coming week if they can get CM for me or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:40 pm

A bit late to the thread...For me, CH in a briar works just fine; although I also use a cob, clay, maple, cherry wood. For some "harder to get going" burley flakes, I top the flake with CH (or PA) to get a good fire head. cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: So I Finally Tried it !   Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:07 pm

My favorite "better Carter Hall" is Peretti's 333 Blend.

View user profile

So I Finally Tried it !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1