HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Possibly A New Job?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Possibly A New Job?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:53 am

I got a call from Scan Source yesterday! They wanted to setup a phone interview for Thursday at 12:30! So, I am very excited because this is an international company that is based in Greenville. Lots of room to grow and have upward movement. I would be in a position that is easily applied in other companies, so it would open doors down the road if I got it.

Anyways, prayers and good vibes/thoughts would be appreciated around 12:30 tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous and I'm really praying that this comes through.

As much as I would absolutely miss the shop and would hate to leave it, I make the same money as I did when I graduated highschool. That was 8 years ago! I'm feeling a little stagnate since I can't move any higher and I can't just buy the company from the owner (he wouldn't sell it, this is his retirement plan). I'm a pretty driven person and I don't like just waiting around. The only reason I have stayed so long is that the owner didn't really have anyone who could fill my shoes. I am a very loyal person, so I didn't want to put him in a bind. But we have a new employee who I think the owner could groom him into a manager. Seems like the right time Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:04 am

Best of luck to you today Kaitlyn!!!!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alsmith52

Registration date : 2015-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:01 pm

Good luck and best wishes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Everyone deserves the chance to better themselves, including and especially when they believe they can do more than they currently are.

Go for the gold ring Kaitlyn, and best wishes.

sunny 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Positive vibes your way!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Good Luck Kaitlyn. Hope you get the job.. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Best of luck with the interview!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Good luck with the interview Kaitlyn, hope it goes smoothly for you.

Best wishes,

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Best of luck to you Kaitlyn! Greenville is a fantastic town and one I enjoyed living in back when I had an office space over on Laurens Rd. Hopefully you will get the job and be there for many years to come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:40 am

Best of luck Kaitlyn - Knock 'em dead

Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:35 pm

The timing is most fortuitous! Don't you think?

Best wishes, and hoping you make more than just money!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:09 am

Just read this post, so hoping all went well and you knocked their socks clean off! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Update:
The interview seemed to go okay. My brain blanked on a couple of simple accounting terms, so I felt a little stupid. He said they would call back within a couple days to tell me one way or another.

One hour later, they called and set up an physical interview for Wednesday!! Yay! So I guess the interview went alright LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Excellent news!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Best of luck in the round! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Nice! Good Luck to you. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Looking good so far Kaitlyn. Keep on keepin' on!

sunny 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Getting back to you in an hour to set up a face to face sure sounds like you showed their piggies the light of day. Good job! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:27 pm

I thought I killed it on my interview Wednesday. It was a panel interview with 4 managers! They grilled me for an hour and then I asked my few questions and they said I would hear back in 7-10 days probably.

Received an email this morning from the company... I didn't get the position Sad Pretty bummed but life goes on! I just wish they had given me feedback about what I could have done better or how to approach other corporate interviews!

If you have a company or will have a company one day, please don't tell people they haven't been selected by sending them an email. I don't care how big your company gets, it's like breaking up a relationship with a text message. I was really hoping that even if I didn't get the job, I would get constructive feedback on how to interview better or how I can present my qualifications better. That way I would have a better chance at future companies/positions. It's so impersonal to send an e-mail and I don't get a chance to find out what I did wrong. What do you guys think?

Dear Kaitlyn,

Thank you for submitting your resume to ScanSource for consideration for our account analyst position.

We are fortunate to have many qualified candidates apply to each of our positions. We have reviewed the qualifications of each candidate and after careful consideration, we have determined that the credentials of other candidates may better fit our needs at this time.

Please accept our best wishes and thank you for your interest in ScanSource.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Well, don't that just suck big time!

Agree that an impersonal bulk e-mail like that is not particularly helpful when it comes to evaluating what you might have done different/better to secure the position. Seems to be the way of the corporate world these days. Easy out.

I'd take heart in the fact you progressed as far as you did in the interviewing process. And then spend some time evaluating the criteria they grilled you on and your responses, with a view to what you perceived they might be after. 

You're probably already doing just this, but that's all I got. And if your heart is set on bettering yourself, this exercise can only help.

It still sucks though. Fortunately it seems you do like your present position, and that's important. Not like being stuck in a place you hate.

Best wishes in your next endeavor Kaitlyn.

sunny 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:53 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Well, don't that just suck big time!

Agree that an impersonal bulk e-mail like that is not particularly helpful when it comes to evaluating what you might have done different/better to secure the position. Seems to be the way of the corporate world these days. Easy out.

I'd take heart in the fact you progressed as far as you did in the interviewing process. And then spend some time evaluating the criteria they grilled you on and your responses, with a view to what you perceived they might be after. 

You're probably already doing just this, but that's all I got. And if your heart is set on bettering yourself, this exercise can only help.

It still sucks though. Fortunately it seems you do like your present position, and that's important. Not like being stuck in a place you hate.

Best wishes in your next endeavor Kaitlyn.

sunny 

Cheers,

RR

Thanks Brewdude. I do appreciate the words of encouragement and comfort! To say the least, I am disappointed in the fact that I didn't get it. You are right though, I do enjoy my current job! It is a blessing and one that I'm thankful for. I was just trying to reach a little higher because I just wouldn't ever be able to retire if I maintained this job LOL.

But then again maybe it wouldn't be so bad being an 80 year old woman schooling young kids on tobacco when they come into the shop... "Oh yeah? You smoke 'English' blends? Do you even know what that means, kid? Come here, I'm gonna teach you a thing or two today!" *spoken in a warbling, old woman's voice*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:12 pm

Sorry to hear that........

Don't worry ma'am, just remember an old Wizard Truth:

No matter how hard we try, things work out!!

Other horizons ahead, keep sailing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathmetal

Registration date : 2015-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:35 pm

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
We are fortunate to have many qualified candidates apply to each of our positions. We have reviewed the qualifications of each candidate and after careful consideration, we have determined that the credentials of other candidates may better fit our needs at this time.

Boilerplate! Means nothing by itself. Sometimes they fill positions internally. Sometimes another candidate did exactly the same thing at a previous gig, and they'd feel open to criticism if they did not hire that person.

Thanks to fear of lawsuits and regulators, generic boilerplate is about the best you get. If you remember the name of someone who interviewed you, you can call them informally and ask for suggestions. That gets them off the hook for "What did I do wrong?" and lets them impart some of their own learning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deathmetal.org/
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:42 pm

deathmetal wrote:
kaitlyn3837 wrote:

Boilerplate! Means nothing by itself. Sometimes they fill positions internally. Sometimes another candidate did exactly the same thing at a previous gig, and they'd feel open to criticism if they did not hire that person.

Thanks to fear of lawsuits and regulators, generic boilerplate is about the best you get. If you remember the name of someone who interviewed you, you can call them informally and ask for suggestions. That gets them off the hook for "What did I do wrong?" and lets them impart some of their own learning.

I do have the name of one of the managers, so maybe I could do that. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alsmith52

Registration date : 2015-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Possibly A New Job?   Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:22 pm

That email is superlative compared to the ones they send out in academia. Basically they say you did not get the position. good luck good bye. Unfortunately, many places do not have the common courtesy to even let you know that you did not get the job. To add insult to injury, I had my identity stolen when someone hacked into the HR dept of a college I had applied to and got all the info on current, past, and potential employees. This particular college waited 6 months to tell anyone that their identities had been stolen. Al
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Possibly A New Job?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next