HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What made today worthwhile for you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:06 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Just started a week long vacation with the inlaws in SC. Had a seafood feast last night that hit the spot. Probably lots more to look forward to this week.

Charleston? Myrtle? Either way, it's not too far from Greenville Wink

Today I am grateful for a job that is in a field that I enjoy. That is worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Dutch wrote:
The highlight of the day, was when I discovered I finally cured my jock itch! cheers cheers cheers

Chris that is way too much information. lol! lol! lol!

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:20 pm

MisterE wrote:
Dutch wrote:

The highlight of the day, was when I discovered I finally cured my jock itch! cheers cheers cheers

It's those simple things. Those are the best by far. cheers

Lemme guess Chris, was it this?

It's supposed to do wonders for those, er, sorts of things.  Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Stick wrote:
Great thread Rande!

...reflecting upon a rough camping weekend with my family in my favourite mountains in Blighty; the Rhinogs in Snowdonia.

Campfires, tents, fishing, climbing, exploring, talking, laughing, the mountains, several very satisfying bowls, all with my wife and two young children (8 and 5).  Yup, that was definitely worthwhile!

Sounds a splendid time David me lad. And I saw your pic you posted of the previous visit. Have any of the latest one, do you?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:32 pm

Dutch wrote:

Maybe this is what he used:

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:01 pm

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:
Just started a week long vacation with the inlaws in SC. Had a seafood feast last night that hit the spot. Probably lots more to look forward to this week.

Charleston? Myrtle? Either way, it's not too far from Greenville Wink

Today I am grateful for a job that is in a field that I enjoy. That is worthwhile.

Summerville near Charleston. We flew in so we're not too mobile and won't be driving back or I'd be asking the wife if we could hit it on the way. No doubt.

Last edited by juanmedusa on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:09 pm

Stick wrote:
Great thread Rande!

...reflecting upon a rough camping weekend with my family in my favourite mountains in Blighty; the Rhinogs in Snowdonia.

Campfires, tents, fishing, climbing, exploring, talking, laughing, the mountains, several very satisfying bowls, all with my wife and two young children (8 and 5).  Yup, that was definitely worthwhile!

Glad you had a great time Stick. Always nice to be outdoors with your loved ones! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:49 pm

I'd have to say it was a good day, didn't even have to break out my ak. afro lol!
On a serious note, it was a good day. I woke up and had breakfast with my kids, a fresh cup of coffee and bowl of "Bobs Chocolate Flake". I just love that baccy with coffee or a hard rootbeer. That and "English Chocolate" is great as well. It's been too hot and muggy to really have a mid day bowl so I really have been looking forward to morning bowl and before bed bowl. So then I went to work on Labor Day, because time doesn't take the day off and work needs to be done. Plus I don't get paid holidays now that I'm self employed. Though I did cut the day short after 6 hours and went and spent the rest of the day with my family and inlaws and had a nice cook out and played some volleyball and frisbee. Now I'm tired and ready to get some much needed sleep, but I'm yearning to play my guitar and have a bowl of some "Deception Pass". Good stuff!
Have a good night all, and an even better tomorrow!
cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.boulderandbriar.com
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:54 pm

The weekend started bad Friday when my good old 25hp outboard blew up but today the black cloud that I've had over my head lifted and first thing today I got a very rare Castello "artifact" I bought a couple of weeks ago authenticated. Later my boys joined me in marching with my IUOE Local 139 Brothers marching in the Labor Day Parade and hopefully I won't wake up tomorrow to find my picture on the front page of the paper like last year. Later we got a long way on a seemingly endless landscape project. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:28 pm

Brewdude wrote:
MisterE wrote:
Dutch wrote:

It's those simple things. Those are the best by far. cheers

Lemme guess Chris, was it this?

It's supposed to do wonders for those, er, sorts of things.  Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

RR

Rande, even medicated powder was no match for the truck stop shower variety. I had to get the closest thing to prescription I could buy over the counter, and even then it took 2 weeks to knock it out.

My advice would be, no matter how long it has been since you've had a shower, skip taking one at a truck stop. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Stick wrote:
Great thread Rande!

Sounds a splendid time David me lad. And I saw your pic you posted of the previous visit. Have any of the latest one, do you?

Cheers,

RR

Here you are Rande...

Our humble camp amidst the mountains

'Billy' exploring

A traditional Welsh farmer's cottage
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:35 pm

Dutch wrote:

My advice would be, no matter how long it has been since you've had a shower, skip taking one at a truck stop. affraid

You want an old timers advise that'll make your life livable????

Flip flops and bleach and your own towel.

Wear the flip flops from the truck, to the shower, around the truck stop, and back to the truck.

I carried a spray bottle of bleach in my shower duffle. As soon as I walked in I sprayed the shower, the sink area, and the clothes hooks basically anything I was going to touch.

Your own towel for obvious reasons.  When you get to the truck put it on a hanger and aim a vent at it to dry it so it doesn't get musky.

Problem solved.. I showered in some real dives including race track showers for the help and never had a problem.

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:18 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Dutch wrote:

You want an old timers advise that'll make your life livable????

Flip flops and bleach and your own towel.

Wear the flip flops from the truck, to the shower, around the truck stop, and back to the truck.  

I carried a spray bottle of bleach in my shower duffle. As soon as I walked in I sprayed the shower, the sink area, and the clothes hooks basically anything I was going to touch.

Your own towel for obvious reasons.  When you get to the truck put it on a hanger and aim a vent at it to dry it so it doesn't get musky.

Problem solved.. I showered in some real dives including race track showers for the help and never had a problem.

Thanks for the advice Brandon. I already have the flip flops, but had never considered carrying in some bleach. I already have some in the truck, just need to get a spray bottle.

The towel idea is a good one too. Sometimes they take the towels out of the dryer before they are completely dry. Plus, I have noticed that truck stop towels never smell like soap, so I have often wondered if they sometimes skip washing them all together and just dry them.

The condition just creeped up on me, and it took awhile for me to figure it out. By the time I figured out a solution, I was spending far too much time in balzac management. Heck, I didn't even have enough free time to load a pipe, let alone smoke one. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:02 pm

Stick wrote:

Here you are Rande...

Our humble camp amidst the mountains

'Billy' exploring

A traditional Welsh farmer's cottage

Lovely stuff David. Thanks ever so much for taking the time to post these. I especially love the Welsh Farmers cottage. You lot must've had a grand time an' all!

bom

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:21 pm

The schools teach the bare minimum to get you legal and the companies have what amounts to trainees training...

Lots and lots of people that drive for a living, but not many Truckers left.

I don't aim that at you friend. Deregulation and the ever increasing noose being tightened around the drivers neck destroyed what was once a good gig.
When I started it was considered rude to not have your cb on, to pass a broke down driver, to cut a load line, to park in a fuel island.
When I was put out the truck it had got to the point where no one would give you a bear report or tell you about a back-up or if the coupes was open or nothing. Nobody even hollered on the cb to see if a driver was okay because most trucks don't even have cb's and it's no big deal to park on the fuel island for a '30 minute' break..because backing into a hole is too hard.

And I still sit here pining because I want to get back out there.. Hard headed idiot. Lol

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:31 pm

puros_bran wrote:

And if you drove I-55 through Southeast Missouri (Cape Girardeau in particular) in the late 80's & early 90's - then you definitely heard me on Ch. 19. If so, then of course you also heard me playing (over the CB) 'The Beer Barrel Polka' on my Korg Synth back then. Laughing

Ahhhhh, the good old days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:07 am

puros_bran wrote:
The schools teach the bare minimum to get you legal and the companies have what amounts to trainees training...

I don't aim that at you friend.  Deregulation and the ever increasing noose being tightened around the drivers neck destroyed what was once a good gig.  
When I started it was considered rude to not have your cb on, to pass a broke down driver, to cut a load line, to park in a fuel island.
 When I was put out the truck it had got to the point where no one would give you a bear report or tell you about a back-up or if the coupes was open or nothing.  Nobody even hollered on the cb to see if a driver was okay because most trucks don't even have cb's and it's no big deal to park on the fuel island for a '30 minute' break..because backing into a hole is too hard.

And I still sit here pining because I want to get back out there.. Hard headed idiot. Lol

Oh, I know exactly what you mean PB. When it comes to parking on the fuel island, I get right out of the truck and walk up and bang on their door. Least they could do is move up to the line to begin with.

Another pet peeve are drivers who roll through the WIM below the posted requirement. Then everyone behind them is forced to roll across below speed and risk getting pulled in.

All in all though, I spend more time working alone than in previous jobs, and that is a big plus for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Just one time I wish they'd stop the line, drag the moron out of his truck, and police brutality his butt.

Speaking of scales.. Those 'new' scales on the Tenn/Alabama line on 65 north.. We had been doing the New Orleans to Kentucky shuttle. Drive to New Orleans, unload horses, sit there all day,reload different horses, come back to Kentucky. We ended up with one Give Away on the return trip resulting in some extra time to kill. We ecided to stop in Cullman Al for a steak dinner.. When we left Co-driver said 'you wanna finish it up?' Eh whatever, let's go.. I jump in the truck and take off and guess what? Those scales they'd been building were open, first day. Not a soul said crap on the cb. Guess where my logbook was.. Leaving Kentucky headed to New Orleans. Oh Crap!!! I was legal, I'd been off for like 17 hours when I took the wheel..but my book didn't show it. And the boss had said "the next ticket of any kind from any body will result in someone getting fired" because we'd had a rash of stupid tickets.. Just like this one was going to be. That boy asked where my book was. I laughed and told him he really didn't want to see it. When he asked why I told him straight up what the deal was.. He takes out an inkpen and starts asking me for times and locations.. He is filling my frikkin coloring book out. I was tripping out, I'd never even heard such before. Lol. He gets Cullman down about the time his Sgt comes out and asks if there's a problem.. He says "No Sir," Looks at me and says "Have a safe night driver".

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:47 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Just one time I wish they'd stop the line, drag the moron out of his truck, and police brutality his butt.  

Speaking of scales.. Those 'new' scales on the Tenn/Alabama line on 65 north..   We had been doing the New Orleans to Kentucky shuttle. Drive to New Orleans, unload horses, sit there all day,reload different horses, come back to Kentucky.   We ended up with one Give Away  on the return trip resulting in some extra time to kill. We ecided to stop in Cullman Al for a steak dinner.. When we left Co-driver said 'you wanna finish it up?'    Eh whatever, let's go.. I jump in the truck and take off and guess what?  Those scales they'd been building were open, first day. Not a soul said crap on the cb.   Guess where my logbook was.. Leaving Kentucky headed to New Orleans.  Oh Crap!!!   I was legal, I'd been off for like 17 hours when I took the wheel..but my book didn't show it.  And the boss had said "the next ticket of any kind from any body will result in someone getting fired" because we'd had a rash of stupid tickets.. Just like this one was going to be.   That boy asked where my book was. I laughed and told him he really didn't want to see it.  When he asked why I told him straight up what the deal was.. He takes out an inkpen and starts asking me for times and locations.. He is filling my frikkin coloring book out. I was tripping out, I'd never even heard such before. Lol.  He gets Cullman down about the time his Sgt comes out and asks if there's a problem.. He says "No Sir," Looks at me and says "Have a safe night driver".    

PB, I think that is the finest example of southern hospitality I have ever heard.

I hate paper logs, but sometimes QUALCOMM goes down, and I am forced to whip out the ruler.

Just North of Cullman is where I was born. They set up portable scales sometimes there in the Decatur area, just north of the river. I'm not so sure Alabama DOT would handle it the same way though.

Hope you get the chance to get back out here soon. You got another steak dinner coming your way when you do!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:13 pm

Bringing my dad home from the hospital.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Let's revive this thread and it's intention.

So what made your day worthwhile today (yesterday/last week/etc).

Me, wrote another tune for an upcoming project (as soon as I finish the present one). Very emotional and expressive. Anytime I'm in a creative mood is good juju.

Plus did a bunch of household/maintenance tasks that have been waiting. Fortunately my knee has been much better lately and I'm able to get around  without too much grief. Recovery has been a bit slow, but it's stiff more than sore now.

Simple stuff for sure, but very satisfying. Doesn't take much to put a smile on my face.

So howzabout you?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Sigh...................

ok......

Didn't kill as many animals as I dreaded having to, worked on one wing of the barn and it didn't rain.

Vegan supper for me tonight. And beer..........

Nice sunset, new hope for tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:08 am

Taking my new Ferrari out for a spin with my gorgeous 25-year old mistress . . . . No wait, that wasn't me, that was someone else Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:43 am

Yesterday, spending some QT with my family. Today, well it's too young to tell...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: What made today worthwhile for you?   Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:07 pm

I woke up this afternoon after my treatments to find a therapy cat curled up in my bed with me. Apparently he got loose in the hospital and decided to spend the afternoon with me. Made my whole day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What made today worthwhile for you?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next