HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Viking book recommendations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:12 pm

Anyone here into Viking history that can recommend a good book for a neophyte?

I've looked at amazon.com and there are dozens of books on the subject. Picking the right one to start with becomes the challenge. And the ratings/reviews are somewhat helpful, yet it would be beneficial if there was someone here who might be more versed in Viking lore to direct me in my quest.

I guess what I'm looking for is a well written introduction into the Vikings and their adventures/battles/quests. Sort of the 101 if you will.

I hasten to add this this meant to be an inspiration for a new song I've written that is intended to be a sweeping overlook on the Vikings and their history. And I need lyrics, but want to research it properly. So have the arrangement and melody vocal line. Just need to flesh out the lyrics.

Interestingly, the area in which I live has plenty of Viking influence. Particularly the Poulsbo, WA area where I once lived. Think I may also reach out to the Viking society in that area.

TIA


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Since there were no sage replies on this I went ahead and took a chance on a book I found on amazon. Just took delivery today, so will be reading with interest with pen in hand to record any ideas/phrases/inspiration that comes of it.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:13 am

Rande, I haven't watched this series, so I don't know if it's worth watching, but it is going into it's 4th season, so the ratings must be pretty high. I have seen it for sale at Walmart, and on ebay.

Thought it might be one possibility where you could get some inspiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_(TV_series)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:01 pm

For the type of inspiration you seem to be looking for, why not try one of the Sagas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Dutch wrote:
Rande, I haven't watched this series, so I don't know if it's worth watching, but it is going into it's 4th season, so the ratings must be pretty high. I have seen it for sale at Walmart, and on ebay.

Thought it might be one possibility where you could get some inspiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_(TV_series)


Thanks Chris. I'll check it out.

DrT999 wrote:
For the type of inspiration you seem to be looking for, why not try one of the Sagas?

DrT, I'm not familiar with this. Can you elaborate please?


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Fazby

avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chicago area
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks Fazby!


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Rande, I haven't watched this series, so I don't know if it's worth watching, but it is going into it's 4th season, so the ratings must be pretty high. I have seen it for sale at Walmart, and on ebay.

Thought it might be one possibility where you could get some inspiration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_(TV_series)


Thanks Chris. I'll check it out.

DrT999 wrote:
For the type of inspiration you seem to be looking for, why not try one of the Sagas?

DrT, I'm not familiar with this. Can you elaborate please?


Cheers,

RR

The Icelandic Sagas are epic poems (many of them are also called the Edda) set down c. 1000-1300, some about the different groups that settled Iceland and Greenland, some about the various Norse kings, some are pagan mythology, some tales about Norse Christian bishops and saints. King Harald's Saga is about the life of the Norwegian king who travelled to Byzantium, hacked his way to the throne of Norway, and then was killed by Harold of England right before the Norman invasion for example; while another is about Erik the Red. So, these are the sources written by the Vikings (or at least their grandchildren) as opposed to books about the Vikings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 69
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:55 pm

What? Like Beowulf?

Maybe 13th Warrior.

_________________
Current favorite pen & ink of the day:
Pen: Lamy Safari Petrol (Ltd. Ed. 2017)
Ink: Dark Teal...Lamy Petrol (Ltd. Ed. 2017)

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:33 am

Blackhorse wrote:
What? Like Beowulf?

Maybe 13th Warrior.

Beowulf would have come from a similar, possibly earlier, tradition
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:27 am

DrT999 wrote:
The Icelandic Sagas are epic poems (many of them are also called the Edda) set down c. 1000-1300, some about the different groups that settled Iceland and Greenland, some about the various Norse kings, some are pagan mythology, some tales about Norse Christian bishops and saints. King Harald's Saga is about the life of the Norwegian king who travelled to Byzantium, hacked his way to the throne of Norway, and then was killed by Harold of England right before the Norman invasion for example; while another is about Erik the Red. So, these are the sources written by the Vikings (or at least their grandchildren) as opposed to books about the Vikings.


That sounds interesting DrT. I'll be checking it out.



Gracias amigo!




Cheers,


RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
cdawg1999

avatar

Age : 44
Location : Braselton, GA
Registration date : 2013-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:41 pm

The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell. They are historical fiction but seemed to be well researched. Based on his other works, he deeply researches his works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Not that anyone probably cares but I'm making progress, albeit slowly.

So far I've taken out perhaps a dozen books from the library which is a way great resource. My local library is connected to the King County library system which serves the greater Seattle area and thus is fairly large in scope. And so they can get any book transferred to my remote outpost.

The books are very comprehensive in scope, and while some of the material won't be germane to my purposes it certainly makes for an interesting read. Many common themes and conclusions amongst the authors as well, which also helps.

Just today I got in the complete set of the sagas - 4 volumes - which will take a bit of getting my noggin' around. Frankly I'm not much of an academic, and my purpose is to create verse for a song already written.

I still have it in mind to connect with the (somewhat) local Viking society in an effort to get 'er done.

The tune is rather raw and aggressive and is meant to convey the brutal and conquering nature of the Viking history. Absolutely not designed for a pc audience, but then again I push the boundaries occasionally.

Not sure why I'm typing all this out here. Perhaps an effort to hear my own tiny brain speak!

scratch



Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Well, I don't know about your current audiences, but no Norseman who went a-Viking would have wanted to listen to anything pc!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
eklektos44

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Virginia
Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
You might read Michael Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead".

http://www.amazon.com/Eaters-Dead-Michael-Crichton/dp/0061782637/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454548615&sr=1-1&keywords=michael+crichton+eaters+of+the+dead

Just had a look at this John. Sounds quite like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for posting. Have you read it?



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
eklektos44

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Virginia
Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:56 pm

Brewdude wrote:
eklektos44 wrote:
You might read Michael Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead".

http://www.amazon.com/Eaters-Dead-Michael-Crichton/dp/0061782637/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454548615&sr=1-1&keywords=michael+crichton+eaters+of+the+dead

Just had a look at this John. Sounds quite like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for posting. Have you read it?



Cheers,

RR

Yes, it's very good. They made it into a movie with Antonio Banderas. 13th Warrior, which was pretty good also, particularly as I'm not a Banderas fan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:21 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
eklektos44 wrote:
You might read Michael Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead".

http://www.amazon.com/Eaters-Dead-Michael-Crichton/dp/0061782637/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454548615&sr=1-1&keywords=michael+crichton+eaters+of+the+dead

Just had a look at this John. Sounds quite like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for posting. Have you read it?



Cheers,

RR

Yes, it's very good. They made it into a movie with Antonio Banderas. 13th Warrior, which was pretty good also, particularly as I'm not a Banderas fan.

Right. Looks like I'll get this in then.

Thanks amigo!

Very Happy


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Brewdude wrote:
eklektos44 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
eklektos44 wrote:
You might read Michael Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead".

http://www.amazon.com/Eaters-Dead-Michael-Crichton/dp/0061782637/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454548615&sr=1-1&keywords=michael+crichton+eaters+of+the+dead

Just had a look at this John. Sounds quite like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for posting. Have you read it?



Cheers,

RR

Yes, it's very good. They made it into a movie with Antonio Banderas. 13th Warrior, which was pretty good also, particularly as I'm not a Banderas fan.

Right. Looks like I'll get this in then.

Thanks amigo!

Very Happy


Cheers,

RR

Just took delivery of this today. Only took 3 weeks!

I'll look forward to this, as it has the potential to give me what I need.

I did get in the complete Sagas from from the library, but they didn't have what I was looking for.



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
eklektos44

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Virginia
Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Just took delivery of this today. Only took 3 weeks!

I'll look forward to this, as it has the potential to give me what I need.

I did get in the complete Sagas from from the library, but they didn't have what I was looking for.



Cheers,

RR

Hope it gives you what you need Rande. Let me know. Smile

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Viking book recommendations?   Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:57 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Just took delivery of this today. Only took 3 weeks!

I'll look forward to this, as it has the potential to give me what I need.

I did get in the complete Sagas from from the library, but they didn't have what I was looking for.



Cheers,

RR

Hope it gives you what you need Rande. Let me know. Smile

John

Well, I finished the book today. Have to say it held my interest throughout. Supposedly an eye-witness account, but much debate about the translations on many issues. Still, made for good reading even though I did have to wonder if much of it had been embellished to enhance the story. At times it bordered on the surreal.

Frankly I don't know I can use any of this for my intended purpose. I'll have to think about that a bit.

The other Viking books I got in were mostly skimmed and not read thoroughly, as I was focused on getting info relating to the brutal conquering nature of them. And while those books did touch on this they didn't make it sound as dire as many are led to believe. Yet this is to be the subject matter of the lyric I'm proposing to write. So, inspiration is key here.

I've made a list of various quotes, terms, and such from the other books, and will try and weave these into some kind of a story line as the lyrics develop. I have a somewhat vague framework to build upon, and will just let this one run free and see what develops.

In truth, this is new territory for me. I seldom if ever decide what a song is all about until it has distinguished itself with the subject lines firmly in place. If that doesn't make sense I'm not sure how I can explain it otherwise. So perhaps I'm just pissing in the wind.............

I'm still minded to contact the local Viking Society and see what they might offer. Stay tuned! (or tune me out)....

Sleep



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
 
Viking book recommendations?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» TONY BLAIR DONATES PROCEEDS OF BOOK SALE TO ROYAL BRITISH LEGION
» "Vidas sem Defesa" New book
» Kate McCann libels Martin Grime in her Book
» Interesting topic on netmums RE Kates book
» How's the Book selling, Kate?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: