HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Sherry

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Sherry   Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:38 pm

I am just starting to get into drinking sherry. I have always enjoyed a good Jerez brandy, and I like drinking an occasional 2-3 ounces of port while watching the boob-tube. Anyone else enjoy drinking sherry? Any recommendations? I like them dry or sweet.

I just bought my first bottle this afternoon. It's a dry sherry -  Lustau Solera Reserva Palo Cortado Peninsula.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Sherry   Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:29 pm

I never got beyond Dry Sack. I was introduced to Sherry before I was even of drinking age when I was cooking in an upscale country club kitchen. A very distinctive taste when used for saucing, and several attempts in my 20's at drinking the stuff were not so great. Like using too much cumin in food I found the taste of sherry too distinct and distracting, insofar as it didn't blend in but rather took over. I've succesfully gone back to port and Madeira and other dessert wines and aperitifs I first discovered through cooking, but never sherry. Maybe I should make an effort.

Dry sack was the median back in the day, where the mainstream bar was set (pardon the pun) for decent, readily available sherry (every decent bar had a bottle of Dry Sack). You may give it a shot and see how it measures up.

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Sherry   Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:03 pm

I always thought Dry Sack was a rather unfortunate name. Razz

That too was the first one I ever tried, and I thought it tasted like decent cooking wine, but it wasn't something I would want to sip neat.

Not too long ago, I ended up at a Bed and Breakfast, not really my cup of tea but in the afternoon they would serve sherry and a decent port as an aperitif.  I had the very first one that made me go "wow" this is quite good. Sweet, nutty, complex, excellent structure and a finish that went on and on.. Definitely gave me a taste for the higher end stuff, but even those are quite affordable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sherry
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1