HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Elephant & Castle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Elephant & Castle   Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:30 pm

Back in the '80s there was a British made tobacco brand named Elephant & Castle which I remember seeing on some B&M shelves. I remember trying a tin of their Isle of Skye, a mostly all va blend done in the "Scottish manner" but I as not yet a straight Va smoker and never got any more of the firms 'baccy. It was blended by McConnell in London until they closed in '89 and has never been seen again! Hee's a link to some info on this short lived Brit blend :
http://www.serjacopo.com/e%26c/E%26C_000.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Elephant & Castle   Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Steve Fallon (aka Pipestud) occasionally has a tin or two on his site. You might catch a tin on eBay every once in a while. cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Elephant & Castle   Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:26 pm

What a great link Monbla. I had smoked a lot of this many years ago and really enjoyed it, but the blend I did smoke (Roanoke) was very bright Virginia and would bite like hell if you didn't sip it slowly. Also Deerstalker was another that was amazingly delicious. It brings a lot of $$ now on the vintage market. Thanks for the link.
Andy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Elephant & Castle   Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:00 pm

ftrplt wrote:
Steve Fallon (aka Pipestud) occasionally has a tin or two on his site. You might catch a tin on eBay every once in a while. cheers FTRPLT

For the more collectible tins, you have to act fast on Pipestud's site! Things are often snapped up in minutes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Elephant & Castle   Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:14 pm

The Pipe Collector had a recent article about the Elephant & Castle blends. Two Seigel brothers were the importers (and also Marble Arch pipes). One brother, Peter, is a occasional PipesMagazine forum contributer. I've communicated with him via email. I started this thread on that forum:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/elephant-amp-castle-tobacco-article-the-pipe-collector

Peter is member "neverbend" and adds some additional information. I'm still hoping to meet him some day and crack open of his remaining tin inventory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Elephant & Castle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1