HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Virginia Cream

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:33 pm

joshoowah wrote:
I'd like to point out that this is probably similar to most non-aromatics when it comes to aging and what not. It's not a goopy topping, it's apparently fairly light, subtle even. It might be like some of Pease's creations under the Two Friends label, like English Chocolate (which is fantastic, but barely an aromatic).

I'd expect anything released to be higher quality than two friends. I expect this to be on par with GH&Co.'s best aros.  Look how much more experiance Mr Pease has had blending since those days.  He was a master then. He's a Yoda now.  lol.  

Regarding my 'No'.    I'm not opposed to aros. Dark Flake Scented is one of my fave tobaccos (I reject the silly notion that Lakelands aren't aros.. If their high quality aro isn't an aro then The Vanilla Cream isn't an aro ).. I'm just not interested in bourbon vanilla at the moment.  If he's going to do the "The _____" line I'd like to try The Cherry.    Sounds crazy, but a cherry that tasted good and didn't goop up the pipe and make the curtains stink would be awesome.  Lol.

This will be a high quality smoke with potential to age a little.  And kudos on Greg Pease for providing this option.

Last edited by puros_bran on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I'll give you a knowledgeable VC vs FM2000 comparison sight unseen.

" Not even on the same planet!"

Really! A McClelland VA and  Greg Pease pretty much anything? Please!

I like the McClelland a lot, to the point of wondering why anyone would want "more" in an aromatic. It's kind of a sub-category of tobacco for me anyhow, something I indulge in when my taste buds are blown out by Balkans, English flakes, etc. But we'll see; I'm sure it's good. I'm just not sure it will fit in this "lame aromatic" niche, though the description intriques.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:20 pm

According to tracking it's on my doorstep so I better not see any of you guys hanging around when I get home! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:30 pm

By which I mean that I don't want to see anyone running off with my whole package. If you're just waiting for me to share a bowl, I'll be home soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Product safely in hand ✋.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:29 pm

I was supposed to receive my tins today but unfortunately there's been some sort of snafu with the delivery.. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:33 pm

Aw man, sorry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:54 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Aw man, sorry.

Are you smoking it yet?

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:36 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:
Aw man, sorry.

Are you smoking it yet?

Thoughts?

Tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:31 am

Interesting review. I might have to try it now. I like this guy, don't know why, maybe because he reminds me of PB but with the ZZ Top beard and some funky glasses.

http://youtu.be/ntMfitBVFBc

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Just got my tins. I'll give it a go a bit later this afternoon. The tin note is very nice..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:11 pm

I popped a tin this morning. Tin note was delightful. A little boozy. I have the same reaction to very fresh Haddo's. A few month in the tin and it's a non issue for me. The boozy note will meld in perfectly. Maybe even just a personal reaction. Anyways, I aired out a bowlful just a bit and loaded an Alberto Bonfiglioli "For Collectors" pipe. Turns out that I could've started with an even more modest bowl because this ain't no weakling aromatic. The aromatic elements mix with the Virginias in such a way as to remind me of Kendal Cream Flake. Not exactly the same taste but a similar effect. Very nice. There is a spice throughout this tobacco. Especially through the nose and a bit at the back of the throat when clenching. Not a spice I would wish to be rid of but worth mentioning.
I had occasion to go into the post office mid smoke so got to try a little delayed smoking. When finishing it the added essences are so married to the Virginias as to be united and not separate elements with only moments of being struck by the bourbon vanilla alone. But I don't think it would taste the same without it either so don't get that impression. Overall my impression is that this stuff is gold. I love it. So much. Smoke some and find out yourself, that's my advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:10 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Just got my tins. I'll give it a go a bit later this afternoon. The tin note is very nice..

I guess it's still afternoon out west. lol!

I'm so eager to hear what everyone thinks that I'm getting impatient. bounce

Btw, I did enjoy that video Puff. I thought that pipe he smoked was excellent. I would have skipped the Zippo on that one. But to each his own.
And D&B, that pic is really nice. Did you take it? Beats my pics for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:55 pm

Yep, I took it. We had a nice overcast morning here. Camera's love a cloudy day.

Two bowls of this turned to ash so far. It's a curious smoke, that's for sure. Since this is a GLP blend, it's far too early for me to render a review but I do enjoy the flavor profile. It's delicately sweet and it is somewhat spicy. The overall flavor profile seems to be driven by the brighter Virginia's with the red's and the rest of the mix providing a fairly sturdy backbone. I don't get a lot of bourbon flavor in this, it's more of a suggestion and the vanilla seems to come through in the form of a certain fullness, think horchata. So far, so good. I think it's a winner. Did it blow my mind? No. Is it a good smoke? Very much so. Keep in mind, this is two smokes we're talking about, and I'd like to finish most of this tin and smoke it in several more pipes before reviewing it. All said, I am happy I have one open tin and one sealed for later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:13 am

Way off topic here but horchata is one of my all time favorite things that almost no one (outside of the already familiar cultures) seems to know about here. There's a Peruvian restaurant that has the best one I've had locally and I love it. Damn it d&b, now I've got a craving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:46 am

I enjoy it too. You can get some ridiculously good horchata in the town I live in. Very fresh and flavorful, nicely spiced. I love it on ice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:37 am

Well I succumbed. Ordered 2 tins of VC from Mars, along with a couple of tins of Dark Twist Roll Cake, a favorite smoke when the cool weather finally shows up, which it mercifully did. My last pound of DTRC is dwindling and winter isn't even here yet. If MacBaren hadn't nearly doubled their prices I'd have probably ordered a couple of pounds instead of a couple of tins.

Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Here's a good one...

Just got an email promo on this new blend from P&C. Big bold lettering across the top...

"Introducing GL Pease The Virginia Cream only at P&C"

ONLY at P&C!?!?

How is it that I just got delivery of my order from Mars...and for less overall?

Jerks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Here's a good one...

Just got an email promo on this new blend from P&C. Big bold lettering across the top...

ONLY at P&C!?!?

How is it that I just got delivery of my order from Mars...and for less overall?

Jerks!

Didn't juan just get one of these as well?

Bad juju......

Neutral

Cheers?

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 pm

I sent a reply to the promo asking how they could say "only" when it was available at many other vendors & made the comment that I was disappointed in the obvious deceptive tactic.

Business Practice 101: Do not lie. Do not cheat. Do not steal. Aside from being wrong...it'll bite ya!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:37 pm

Well everyone that's "in the know" knows that Laudisi & Cornell & Diehl are sympatico, meaning that Smoking Pipes was going to be the first storefront to sell it, so perhaps P&C is trying to use a little deception to surprise the few stragglers who have been hiding under a rock for the last month or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:43 pm

Well they're certainly not making any points with me via their deception. That plus their fixed and really high shipping rates will ensure I use a different vendor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:50 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Here's a good one...

ONLY at P&C!?!?

Jerks!

I was clearly wondering the same thing!

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t31688-scandalous
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:04 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Well they're certainly not making any points with me via their deception. That plus their fixed and really high shipping rates will ensure I use a different vendor.

Hmmm, last time I ordered from them, they offered a really reasonable USPS rate. That's too bad. High shipping rates really bug me.

I was happy to see Peretti correct this and to see Smoking Pipes offer a USPS option the last time I ordered, which was one week ago. Here on the left coast it's most ideal to get your tobacco in a few days rather than wait 5-6 business days plus a weekend for a damn UPS Ground package to arrive..  

I am quite conflicted over P&C.com because I think very highly of Russ Oullette. IMHO, the man's a national treasure and one of the kindest, most down to earth people you'll ever chat with. He's always answered all my crazy questions whether by email or by phone (and trust me I have asked a lot of them). Anyway, you can tell he's a genuinely enthusiastic person and absolutely loves what he does.  I want to support them because if him and if he wasn't there, I'd never shop there. None of my business but I hope they know how good of a guy they have in Russ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: The Virginia Cream   Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:23 am

Smoking some more Virginia Cream tonight. A solid blend, a bit confusing though. Still trying to find my stride with it..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Virginia Cream
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next