HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Burberry trench coat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Burberry trench coat   Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Have wanted one for years.  If I spring for one I'll want the original honest-to-God real deal with all the bells and whistles; trouble is, I don't know what that is, or even if it's still available.  Do the things have model numbers?  From their website it looks as though everything's been "modernized" Sad .  I've exhausted my google capabilities to pretty much no avail, except that it appears some products are made in Britain, some in the U.S., some apparently in China.  The originals were 100% cotton gabardine; now most seem to be cotton/poly.  So; anyone have any knowledge/experience/opinions/etc?  Thanks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:59 am

like these?

https://us.burberry.com/mens-trench-coats/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:10 am

I have one from the mid '70s, bought from Saks in NY. It was the real deal at the time, the one with the button-in wool lining, double-breasted, the belt with grenade loops, etc. But I can't vouch for it being the "original," as I think it's cotton/poly also. Don't know how far back you'd have to go to get the "original." Mine is in pretty good shape, but it's for someone 6'4", namely moi. A friend of mine had a trench coat from Turnbull & Asser, and that one was really heavy-duty, as I remember, more so than the Burberry. Then again, he also had a black leather one that was killer, come to think of it. Good luck in your hunt. You might try writing them, using what you just posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:05 am

hobie1dog wrote:
like these?

Thanks, but frankly, absolutely NOT like those!  The modernized, metrosexual model doesn't do it for me.  The leopard print model is a nice touch though (insert vomit emo).

Richard, good suggestion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:38 am

Idlefellow wrote:
hobie1dog wrote:
like these?

Thanks, but frankly, absolutely NOT like those!  The modernized, metrosexual model doesn't do it for me.  The leopard print model is a nice touch though (insert vomit emo).

Vomit seems the appropriate response to those. Frankly, I would get a London Fog or J.C. Penney, etc., just so I could beat hell out of it without thinking of the cost. They really only look cool when they look as though they'd been slept in, in my opinion. A little grunge helps, also. Thought this was interesting, if you haven't seen it...

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/10/20/man-guide-trench-coat/
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:56 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Idlefellow wrote:
hobie1dog wrote:
like these?

They really only look cool when they look as though they'd been slept in, in my opinion. A little grunge helps, also.

"One more thing."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:45 am

Ha! Most famous raincoat ever, I'm thinkin'. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:47 am

Richard Burley wrote:

Vomit seems the appropriate response to those. Frankly, I would get a London Fog or J.C. Penney, etc., just so I could beat hell out of it without thinking of the cost. They really only look cool when they look as though they'd been slept in, in my opinion. A little grunge helps, also. Thought this was interesting, if you haven't seen it...

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/10/20/man-guide-trench-coat/

Interesting read; thanks.  Frankly I've been down the Penney's and other off brand road; in fact I have an off brand now that I actually quite like but (ahem) there seems to be more of me and less coat lately.  I took your advice and emailed Burberry; we'll see what kind of response I get.  I had already decided to pursue the "vintage" route; we'll see what turns up.

Simple Man: LOVE IT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Amazingly I got a nice, same day reply from Burberry. They suggested the Heritage Westminster which is 100% cotton gabardine and made in England, it being the longest length they currently make, and it seems to have the military details one would want. It's slightly south of two grand, however, and while it may be worth every penny I don't think I want to invest that much. So, I guess it's the thrift store route for me. The hunt's half the fun anyway, eh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaWarrior

Registration date : 2015-10-19

PostSubject: Hook Up   Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:23 pm

My wife and I do vintage clothing, so if I come across one, you'll be the first to know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skaukatt

Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:09 pm

Even more famous than Columbo's is hands down and indisputable, Rick's trench coat:

Here's the Ultimate Guide to the trench coat that I have ever found:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forums/threads/trench-coat-the-ultimate-thread-for-anyone-who-dared-wear-ricks-coat.94/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:53 am

Great stuff skaukatt! Well, that didn't take long! Checked the bay; there were quite a few listed. Found one in my size with the features I wanted, made a buy-it-now offer I didn't think they'd accept. They did; it'll be here Wednesday. With hopefully just enough pre-love to make it really cool...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Idlefellow wrote:
Great stuff skaukatt!  Well, that didn't take long!  Checked the bay; there were quite a few listed.  Found one in my size with the features I wanted, made a buy-it-now offer I didn't think they'd accept.  They did; it'll be here Wednesday.  With hopefully just enough pre-love to make it really cool...

Now you need to get a nice Akubra hat to go with it !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:09 am

Not an Akubra, but it'll have to do!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:43 pm

Idlefellow wrote:
Not an Akubra, but it'll have to do!

Nice looking one there! Is it brown or burgundy and who's it made by?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:05 pm

It's brown and it's a no-name from Dillards Embarassed !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:30 pm

Idlefellow wrote:
It's brown and it's a no-name from Dillards Embarassed !

If it's not a fur felt but a wool felt hat DON'T wear it in the rain with your Burburry's as it will not stand up to the rain as your coat will. !! Only a 100% Fur Felt hat will withstand the elements ant retain it's shape !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:55 am

Yep, 'tis wool felt, although stamped "water resistant".  I love my Stetson Gun Cub too much to wear it in the rain;

guess it'll have to be the Tilley...

On a sad note, very disappointed in the Burberry; not the model I was expecting and some different from the description; I'm negotiating now to return it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:56 pm

Definitely the Tilley but I wouldn't worry about the Gun Club if it's ALL fur felt ( and remember, the only 100% Beaver felt hats made today are usually custom jobs costing around $1000.00 or so ) which are usually rabbit fur. The Akubra Bushman in my avatar is now around 15 years old , first one went 35 years, and has been worn in ALL kinds of weather !!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Not sure about the Gun Club; I'll have to do a bit of research.  But I sure didn't pay that kind of money for it when I got it 10 years or so ago.  Back in my cowboy days I had a Stetson Silver Belly 4X beaver, 6" pencil roll brim with a Tom Mix crease.  Great hat but I just didn't wear it any more so it went down the road. That Akubra is great looking by the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:52 pm

The continuing saga in case anyone's been following my little Burberry adventure...

Years ago I had a Stafford trench, Stafford being JC Penny's premier line.  It was a dead knock off of the ORIGINAL Burberry tench with all the details and with appropriate storm flaps. D rings, leather buckles, button through flap pockets, enclosed box pleat in the back, button in wool lining and collar, et al.  Man, I loved that coat.  And then the dry cleaners ruined it; I picked it up and it was tie dyed.  Apparently they spilled some sort of solution on it; completely ruined.  They paid me for it (sort of) but I was never able to find a replacement that I liked half so well.

So I'm perusing the bay and what do I find but my old coat, in my size, listed as new without tags!  And cheap!  Well, I jumped on it.  Problem is, so did another guy, and we got into a bidding war.  "Who the hell else would want a JC Penny's trench so badly!?" I'm thinkin'.  The bidding was over at 4:00AM, so finally I put in my max bid which was WAY more than I should have bid (and I'm serious; as much as I'd paid for the Burberry!) and went to bed.

I got up in the morning to two emails: the first that the SOB had outbid me.  The second that there had been a bid retraction (why I have no idea) and that not only was I the high bidder, I was the only bidder so my bid had reverted to the starting price!

I received a credit in full including all shipping on the Burberry; very honest ebay seller.  So now I await the arrival of the Stafford, to see if it's everything I remembered.  Anon...

Last edited by Idlefellow on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:29 pm

If we're talking about the same coat, I remember that Stafford trench; it was reviewed very highly by Consumer Reports--higher than the then current Burberry, if memory serves. This, right after my having bought the friggin' Burberry.  Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:38 pm

The end of the saga.  The coat arrived and it's everything I remembered.  Fabric seems much beefier than the Burberry I had and returned, and it has ALL the features and styling of what I remember from old Burberrys (the one I returned just had SOME of them, and that seems the case in most of those I've found; never could find a Bur that had them all).  I expect I'd have to find a rather old Bur to get what I want, and then condition would undoubtedly be an issue.  As 'tis, this humble offering from the venerable J.C. Penny out Burberrys any current Burberry I've come across, and though I'd have paid to get what I want, I saved meself some money as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Burberry trench coat   Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:03 pm

Idlefellow wrote:
The end of the saga.  The coat arrived and it's everything I remembered.  Fabric seems much beefier than the Burberry I had and returned, and it has ALL the features and styling of what I remember from old Burberrys (the one I returned just had SOME of them, and that seems the case in most of those I've found; never could find a Bur that had them all).  I expect I'd have to find a rather old Bur to get what I want, and then condition would undoubtedly be an issue.  As 'tis, this humble offering from the venerable J.C. Penny out Burberrys any current Burberry I've come across, and though I'd have paid to get what I want, I saved meself some money as well!

I would let Burberry know, forthwith. Twisted Evil Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Burberry trench coat
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1