HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Rossi

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Rossi   Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:23 pm

Does anyone have a Rossi pipe? How is the draw on yours?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:19 am

I guess Rossi pipes aren't that popular
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:11 pm

All b.s. aside, aren't they're just Savinellis without the filter? Seems like they should draw OK.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:34 pm

Hey burl, yes probably. My recently acquired Savinelli's draw pretty good, but honestly they aren't as open as I like. I asked chip at smoking pipes and he said the one i was inquiring about has 3mm airway...what exactly does this mean in terms of draw?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Hey burl, yes probably. My recently acquired Savinelli's draw pretty good, but honestly they aren't as open as I like. I asked chip at smoking pipes and he said the one i was inquiring about has 3mm airway...what exactly does this mean in terms of draw?

What size airway do you find gives you the best "draw" for you? Measure a pipe you have that has the "draw" you like and compare the two. if the Rossi is smaller then it will not be to your liking. I have pipes with all different sizes of airways and I've found that I need to learn the smoking traits of each and smoke the 'baccy that works best in each. IE I DON"T smoke a full Aro in a pipe with an airway as small as your Rossi as these tend to smoke WET for me and the moisture will clog it!! Just how I've dealt with this as there is NO universal size airway for ALL types of 'baccy ! Just my 40+ years of smoking experience!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:12 pm

hey monbla i'm not sure i have the tools to measure an airway?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
hey monbla i'm not sure i have the tools to measure an airway?

I don't know, what do you have? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I have over 20 Savinelli's and they vary from some at 3mm up to 6 mm so all I can say is compare it with some other Savs you have and decide if you can live with it or send it to someone like Walker to have them open it up. Or just get rid of it and move on!! You need to decide what YOU WANT !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:08 pm

The punto oro I got says 6mm on the box. But does that mean it has a 6mm airway or it takes a 6mm filter? If it has a 6mm airway and the rossi has 3mm airway, that sounds like rossi would have a very constricted draw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:58 pm

I have never heard anyone say anything about the draw on a Rossi. My understanding is that they are just Savinelli pipes without the filter. I don't have one, but I have considered them in the past...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maxpeters

Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: Rossi Pipes   Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:14 am

I find a 3mm draw to be about perfect. Up to about 3.5mm is fine. After that I find the draw to be too open.
I have opened the airway in several of my pipes to 3.2mm (1/8 in.) and they smoke great.
As far as the Punto Oro being a 6mm pipe, I would expect they meant that it takes a 6mm filter, as a pipe with a 6mm airway would be way too open to smoke well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:26 pm

maxpeters wrote:
I find a 3mm draw to be about perfect. Up to about 3.5mm is fine. After that I find the draw to be too open.
I have opened the airway in several of my pipes to 3.2mm (1/8 in.) and they smoke great.
As far as the Punto Oro being a 6mm pipe, I would expect they meant that it takes a 6mm filter, as a pipe with a 6mm airway would be way too open to smoke well.

hey max, so if a punto oro takes a 6mm filter, than what size is the airway?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:24 am

I've been curious about Rossi pipes, too. From the few I've seen in person, I am impressed with the engineering. I still haven't gotten one, but maybe I will one of these days.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:55 am

MisterE wrote:
I've been curious about Rossi pipes, too. From the few I've seen in person, I am impressed with the engineering. I still haven't gotten one, but maybe I will one of these days.

yea i like the straight billiards but i'm concerned the draw is too tight. not sure why savinelli makes rossi simple billiards but everyone of their own pipes has some stupid ugly color theme or a gimmicky appearance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:47 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
...not sure why savinelli makes rossi simple billiards but everyone of their own pipes has some stupid ugly color theme or a gimmicky appearance.

Ah! Someone else noticed! I call it "whored up." In fairness, some of their upscale offerings are OK, and there are always estates from better days to be found. I would say to try a Rossi. I doubt that the airway is "restricted," but it could always be opened up if needed. Be aware that Rossi is not a high-grade pipe, and that the dark color is there for a reason, namely to hide bald grain, to say nothing of fills. My Duca Carlo, which I think is equivalent, actually has a crack in the bowl, and tobacco tastes twice as strong in it as in any other pipe I own--the ol' green wood effect, I call it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:24 am

\"maxpeters wrote:

Agreed.  A 6 mm airway would be a mistake.  I worry more about the airway being too open on a pipe.  You can almost always ream the airway to open it up if its too restricted.  The Rossi pipes look like a good value.  I've seen a few YT reviews where they were favorably compared with Savs, but have no experience with them myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:11 pm

So......what would the airway be on 6mm Punto Oro?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:39 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Probably somewhere between 3 and 4 mm.  Call SmokingPipes.com and ask.  I'm sure that they will be able to tell you the exact number.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Rossi   Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:12 am

I've got a Rossi Prince that, yes, was a hundred buck pipe, but I've recently baptized it with Dan Mellow Mallard and it smokes wonderfully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:12 am

Bugsahearn wrote:

3.8mm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:45 pm

thaanks speedy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Rossi   Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:38 pm

MichaelM wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:
Probably somewhere between 3 and 4 mm.  Call SmokingPipes.com and ask.  I'm sure that they will be able to tell you the exact number.

You CAN'T fit a 6mm thick filter in a 3 to 4 mm hole!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Do the math Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rossi
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: