HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

pipe sightings in pop culture

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: pipe sightings in pop culture   Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:47 pm

A lot of pipe smoking in the Biopic "Che" about, naturally, Che Guevara. Benicio del Toro plays Che in this 4 hour movie and he smokes a pipe quite often, along with, of course, cigars and the occasional cigarette. Other revolutionaries also can be seen smoking a pipe as well.

It's funny, in the hills of Cuba, where you'd only expect cigars to be smoked, you see pipes, too. When they're in the mou8ntains of Bolivia, I think the pipes get more screen time(!)

It's kind of amzing to see so much pipe smoking in such a movie. Benicio del Toro is an actor I like, and he plays this character as close to the hipster iconic T-shirt symbol as possible. Very sympathetic character, which is to say, not so close to the real Che Guevara, who was in reality a mass murderer, executioner, racist, Fidel's right arm man who helped set up a totalitarian government worse than the one he helped topple.

But I digress. The film WAS very entertaining, and I've watched it several times, only the last time just a few nights ago I was keyed in on the pipes. It might be worth it just for that alone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: pipe sightings in pop culture   Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:31 pm

I believe Kurt Russell is smoking a Mastro De Paja in The Hateful Eight, and Samuel L Jackson is smoking a cherry wood of some sort.  The props department dropped the ball a little bit there with a Mastro De Paja and the time period, but oh well.

large image, but you can see the stem and mark well:
http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE1LzEyLzE2Lzk2L2t1cnQucnVzc2VsLmE0M2EwLnBuZwpwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4NjI3IwplCWpwZw/0ec4985a/40e/kurt.russell.jpg

smaller image of the whole pipe:
Back to top Go down
View user profile

pipe sightings in pop culture
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3