HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:35 am

The rains stopped up here in N.Texas and it's supposed to be clear but cool tonight so my 90 yo mother and I will be giving out treats to the young uns that come by . Twisted Evil  My mother likes to sit just inside her front door and when the kids come up I open the door and she goes "BOO" and hands out her candy to them. I sit outside to help guide them to the door and sort of direct traffic on the porch for her. She loves to do this every year and I'm glad she still can at her age. She especially likes the real young/little ones and always pays special attention to them. What are you folks doin' tonight ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil


Last edited by monbla256 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:49 am

Hiding in a closet. I've always been frightened of small children, and their wearing scary masks and all would put me right over the edge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 pm

Yes, we've had some fun today and this evening Michael. The children carved a few pumpkins each today. Rosie managed to drop one and it split in half so I rolled with it, chopped in it half and made it look like a head was emerging from the lawn. I hid our Bluetooth Sony speaker in the hedge too and streamed spooky sounds from my phone.

We've only just got back in actually from our trick or treating. Rosie made the mistake of asking me to carry her sweet bucket; I was eating them quicker than they were going in.

Fantastic to hear your mum, elderly as she is, still enjoying some fun with the kids. cheers

What's next? Ah yes, Christmas...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:43 pm

Well, seeing as how I am now in the deep, deep forest, should I see any children, I will most likely gobble them up, as per the Grimm's tale obliges me too.....

Treated the animals to some sweet feed and two fresh rolled bales of grasses. They are happy...

Otherwise, a nice drizzly autumn day to wander the woods and enjoy the coloured leaves.......

As I used to say in Edmonton, Halloween Apples!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:49 pm

Treating. Cathy had a surgery this past week. I am having to do all sorts of stuff.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:36 pm

Neither, we live too far off the beaten track for anyone to come by..................Thank God! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:00 pm

Haven't had the little bast....., I mean chillin come knocking on my door for many, many years. In fact I think it was maybe once in all the years I've lived here.

They tend to go to homes they know I think, and those with decorations outside. And I don't observe Halloween so no decorations. 

Mean ol' bassard, ain't I?


Twisted Evil 



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:06 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Haven't had the little bast....., I mean chillin come knocking on my door for many, many years. In fact I think it was maybe once in all the years I've lived here.

They tend to go to homes they know I think, and those with decorations outside. And I don't observe Halloween so no decorations. 

Mean ol' bassard, ain't I?


Twisted Evil 



Cheers,

RR

A Man after my own heart sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:10 pm

I've got a full gorilla suit this year. Guess I'll be trickin. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Orlando, FL
Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:38 pm

Trick or treating seems to be dying out in our neck of the woods. We have only had one group of five kids tonight, the lowest turnout ever. I took my little one out earlier, and found fewer than ten houses that were participating. It makes me a bit sad to see a time-honored custom fading into obscurity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:48 pm

I think it has to do with the amount of wacko's out there that put poison and or razor blades, etc. in treats, although that was going on when I was a young man also. But, I believe there's a rise in it, that and in some parts of the country young little bastards steal little ones candy and terrorize the streets not having the mentality or a good parents hand across there backside ever so often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Psmith

avatar

Location : Sokcho, South Korea
Registration date : 2013-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:27 am

Halloween is not widely observed in Korea, so no. But being that I am at a Canadian school located in Korea we will be celebrating it in my school with a haunted gymnasium and costume contest. Foreign teachers have brought Halloween to Korea over the years to the point where costumes and pumpkins are now available at major supermarkets. But I would say that Koreans don't really "get it". To them its just a day for kids to dress like superheroes or Disney princesses and get candy hand-outs. The whole scary aspect of it isn't really understood. Funny...its only observed inside schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:14 am

fsu92john wrote:
Trick or treating seems to be dying out in our neck of the woods. We have only had one group of five kids tonight, the lowest turnout ever. I took my little one out earlier, and found fewer than ten houses that were participating. It makes me a bit sad to see a time-honored custom fading into obscurity.

It's not that old of a common custom; it seems to have started in a few places in the northeast in the 1920s and really didn't spread around the US until publicized by radio sit-coms using it as a plot device after World War II, only then spreading outside the US
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Briar Spirit

avatar

Age : 49
Location : England UK
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:27 am

Why I do not know but none of the children in the village go out trick or treating, I miss giving out treats to the kiddies when they turn up, used to really enjoy it in the village I lived in before moving to this scary bizarre village.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Orlando, FL
Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:32 am

DrT999 wrote:
fsu92john wrote:
Trick or treating seems to be dying out in our neck of the woods. We have only had one group of five kids tonight, the lowest turnout ever. I took my little one out earlier, and found fewer than ten houses that were participating. It makes me a bit sad to see a time-honored custom fading into obscurity.

It's not that old of a common custom; it seems to have started in a few places in the northeast in the 1920s and really didn't spread around the US until publicized by radio sit-coms using it as a plot device after World War II, only then spreading outside the US

This is true if we're talking about the specifically American practice of children knocking on doors in search of candy. However, souling and guising were associated with All Saints' and All Souls' from probably the early modern period in Europe and are, at least in spirit (so to speak), kindred practices with trick or treating.

🎃 🎃 🎃
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:49 am

fsu92john wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
fsu92john wrote:
Trick or treating seems to be dying out in our neck of the woods. We have only had one group of five kids tonight, the lowest turnout ever. I took my little one out earlier, and found fewer than ten houses that were participating. It makes me a bit sad to see a time-honored custom fading into obscurity.

It's not that old of a common custom; it seems to have started in a few places in the northeast in the 1920s and really didn't spread around the US until publicized by radio sit-coms using it as a plot device after World War II, only then spreading outside the US

This is true if we're talking about the specifically American practice of children knocking on doors in search of candy. However, souling and guising were associated with All Saints' and All Souls' from probably the early modern period in Europe and are, at least in spirit (so to speak), kindred practices with trick or treating.

🎃 🎃 🎃

True, but we were talking about actual trick-or-treating. I doubt if dressing up, horror movies, etc. will be disassociated with Oct 31 for some time to come! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:23 am

We had a pretty lively night. Approach the gorilla with the conga drum if you dare.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:05 am

Sadly we only had two groups of kiddos last night!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad My mother was very disappointed!! It was cold and damp and the wind was out of the north!! And we were the only house that was lit up on the block but there weren't any groups in cars driving down the street as usual!! VERY disappointing !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
balkan_boy

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Sofia, Bulgaria
Registration date : 2014-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:04 pm

It came here also. You Americans ruin everything. First you spoiled our Nativity turning it into a tasteless bizarre consumer culture pathetic holiday celebrating shallow values, with jingle bells and ugly plastic decorations that sing moronic tunes and shine, and now this.
Some years ago, it was just a funny thing from the movies, now all the kids observe the ancient old tradition of over .... ten years of trick or treating. And it sounds even more stupid translated in Bulgarian language.
I went with my daughter last night to see a movie in the mall, we didn't even know it's halloween. and the mall was full of disgusting, hyperactive children with costumes, doing something they had seen in the american movies.

My daughter (11 year old) started explaining to the people that it's a pagan thing and we as Christians shouldn't do such things, and everybody looked at her as if she was a freak.
I even heard two young ladies talking about the ... poor brainwashed kid.
And that was coming from intelligent persons wearing witch costumes with sculls and bones, and sharped hats inside the mall, and making strange (supposed to be scary) gestures.
What an irony.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:04 pm

balkan_boy wrote:
It came here also. You Americans ruin everything. First you spoiled our Nativity turning it into a tasteless bizarre consumer culture pathetic holiday celebrating shallow values, with jingle bells and ugly plastic decorations that sing moronic tunes and shine,  and now this.
Some years ago, it was just a funny thing from the movies, now all the kids observe the ancient old tradition of over .... ten years of trick or treating. And it sounds even more stupid translated in Bulgarian language.
I went with my daughter last night to see a movie in the mall, we didn't even know it's halloween. and the mall was full of disgusting, hyperactive children with costumes, doing something they had seen in the american movies.

My daughter (11 year old) started explaining to the people that it's a pagan thing and we as Christians shouldn't do such things, and everybody looked at her as if she was a freak.
I even heard two young ladies talking about the  ... poor brainwashed kid.
And that was coming from intelligent persons wearing witch costumes with sculls and bones, and sharped hats inside the mall, and making strange (supposed to be scary) gestures.
What an irony.  

"Fraid your gonna have to lay the blame for all this with the British as it started in the 16 th century over there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treating

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 70
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm pretty sure archeologists in the Eastern USA have found Clovis related Trick-or-Treat items in several digs that prove it had it's origins in the Paleolithic.


PS: NEVER trust Wick-o-pedia for reliable data...as it's all user submitted data. DUH!

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:44 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I'm pretty sure archeologists in the Eastern USA have found Clovis related Trick-or-Treat items in several digs that prove it had it's origins in the Paleolithic.


PS: NEVER trust Wick-o-pedia for reliable data...as it's all user submitted data. DUH!

Just like here ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:20 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:
I'm pretty sure archeologists in the Eastern USA have found Clovis related Trick-or-Treat items in several digs that prove it had it's origins in the Paleolithic.


PS: NEVER trust Wick-o-pedia for reliable data...as it's all user submitted data. DUH!

Just like here ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil




Hey, if it's on the internet it must be true - right?


jocolor



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:46 pm

Here's another source of the SAME info that's not Wiki-Pedia!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

http://www.history.com/topics/halloween/history-of-trick-or-treating
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 70
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Yeah...but they used Wiki as THEIR source! Laughing

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
 
Are you Tricking or Treating tonight?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Senior Political figure will be outed TONIGHT on BBC
» Mccanns watching tv tonight !
» Jenna McDougall (Tonight Alive)
» channel SIC tonight.
» Tonight's The Night

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: