HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Avalanche

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Avalanche   Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:29 pm

With the recent talk on the BoB of snow, or in some instances lack thereof, I thought I'd share a pic my most recent adventure to the French Alps where I was delivering an alpine skiing training programme.  The picture shows me going through the finer points of ascertaining the snow pack's stability in order to estimate the avalanche risk.  Unknown to me at the time, it transpired that 3 skiers were killed in an avalanche in another French resort during the same week.  Quite a sobering thought and highlights the dangers if you get it wrong.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Avalanche   Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:01 pm

"Now Lads, we pack the explosives in there then run like f**k"!"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Avalanche   Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:31 pm

alandadp wrote:
"Now Lads, we pack the explosives in there then run like f**k"!"

I must point out Adam, that it's not the proper way to run. You run like H. E. double hockey sticks, love making hasn't anything to do with it. Of course unless your doing it in the snow while lighting the fuse and then I would suggest you pull your britches up first. And I won't even ask why you chose to do both at the same time Wink

Avalanches are no fun no matter where your standing, glad you weren't involved sir. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Avalanche   Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Stick wrote:
With the recent talk on the BoB of snow, or in some instances lack thereof, I thought I'd share a pic my most recent adventure to the French Alps where I was delivering an alpine skiing training programme.  The picture shows me going through the finer points of ascertaining the snow pack's stability in order to estimate the avalanche risk.  Unknown to me at the time, it transpired that 3 skiers were killed in an avalanche in another French resort during the same week.  Quite a sobering thought and highlights the dangers if you get it wrong.

A cautionary tale indeed David.

Do you wear one of those transmitters (or whatever they're called) if you get buried? And do they have the hounds that can sniff out bodies at hand?

Even here in the Pac NW there's regular accounts of skiers who get off the main trails on a lark and come a cropper.

Be safe out there mate.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Avalanche   Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 pm

A few weeks ago there was little snow in the Alps. Looks like you got a ton now. Good on you!

bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Avalanche   Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:37 am

Rande,

The devices you refer to are generically called 'transceivers'. You'd typically wear one on a chest harness under your outer layer when going off piste or whilst heading into the back country. They have two modes, transmit and receive. In the event of someone getting buried the remainder of the group switch their devices to receive and it'll guide you to the casualty by following the flux lines of the radio signal.

Before digging the pit pictured, I probed the ground first using a snow probe (essentially a 4m flexible tent pole in 50cm sections) which identified obvious layering at about 1m. With this in mind I popped a transceiver in my pocket in case I triggered a release whilst digging. You can just see the straps sticking out of my chest pocket. I later converted the pit to a Rutschblock test where a free standing block is isolated. By placing a skier on top you can estimate the snow pack's stability. This one failed when the skier executed a 'down sink', a gentle bending of the knees, indicating a significant risk of a release. It was a clean sheer at the point I'd identified as having potential, marked by the long line level with my left shoulder.

Yes! Dogs are still used to assist in searches but sadly they do not carry the barrel of brandy around they necks anymore.

Adam - now that would have been a whole lot of fun. Bring in the dems team!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Avalanche   Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Ahhh...Another of the many reasons I avoid snow like the plague Laughing Laughing Laughing cheers cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Avalanche   Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:57 pm

If the good lord had intended us to live in those kind of conditions, we would have been born with fur like a Polar bear !! Since we were born buck nekid I'll stay in the south !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Avalanche
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: