HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I spent last night in a prison cell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:31 am

Yup, no kidding, though am pleased to announce it was through my own choice.

My local Scout group organised a sleepover for the Scouts in a recently de-commissioned prison, and as a one of the Scout leaders I jumped at the chance to join in. We all spent the night in the cells and the Scouts had a hoot. I have to say the experience affected me more than I thought it would do. It was quite cold too with the air temp dropping to minus 3 degs C.

Great way to celebrate one's birthday too Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:56 am

bom

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:17 am

Not long enough to start your own tunnel then... lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:48 am

Not quite Ally, but considered paper mache heads instead Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Ah, Boy Scout outings--where I first learned how to smoke a pipe! (Actually Explorer Scouts, the older lad version.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:11 pm

So I'm guessing you got time off for good behavior.

Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. Scout outing are usually a hoot and a half.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:15 pm

Back in the 80's scout troops were allowed to stay the night on Alcatraz. Never made that particular trip but as a scout I did camp on Angel Island. Same vibe as Alcatraz, minus the spooky prison.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:07 pm

One of my uncles is a scout leader. He loves it! Probably been at it for thirty years or more now.

Not sure if he did a stint in prison with the troop or otherwise. Probably never got the chance....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:26 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Back in the 80's scout troops were allowed to stay the night on Alcatraz. Never made that particular trip but as a scout I did camp on Angel Island. Same vibe as Alcatraz, minus the spooky prison.

I was lucky enough to be part of a climbing exped to Yosemite back in '96. After we left the valley we did the touristy thing round SF where I jumped on a boat at Pier 49(?) and went out to Alcatraz. Sadly we never set foot on the island but went under the bridge instead. Would have been great to soak up the atmosphere. Knowing a little about its history (granted, probably just from popular films starring Clint) and coupled with my interest in escape attempts, it captured my imagine somewhat. It certainly looked the part from the outside!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:33 pm

Stick, was this an educational trip to convince some of your boys, who might contemplate pursuing a criminal career later on, to think about it twice before planning ahead? Razz
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Stick, was this an educational trip to convince some of your boys, who might contemplate pursuing a criminal career later on, to think about it twice before planning ahead? Razz

Interesting you should raise that LG. It wasn't the original intent, it was more of a jolly jape. However, during our stay and on more than one occasion I heard an adult discussing the likely conclusion of a serious misdemeanour resulting in time spent at Her Majesty's pleasure. I've no doubt that at some stage in the Scouts' it will cause some reflection. And hey, if it prevents only one young adult from winding up in the nick, it was a worthwhile project?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 pm

Stick wrote:
Lord Guyrox wrote:

Interesting you should raise that LG. It wasn't the original intent, it was more of a jolly jape. However, during our stay and on more than one occasion I heard an adult discussing the likely conclusion of a serious misdemeanour resulting in time spent at Her Majesty's pleasure. I've no doubt that at some stage in the Scouts' it will cause some reflection. And hey, if it prevents only one young adult from winding up in the nick, it was a worthwhile project?!

Right you are guvnor! Nowt like doin' a bit of porridge in Wandsworth to set a blokes mind right, innit?

Wink

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:32 pm

When my son was a Cub Scout, I got to go along on an overnight on the USS Alabama in Mobile.
I really enjoyed it. I was able to explore on my own to my heart's content.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Stick wrote:
Lord Guyrox wrote:

Right you are guvnor! Nowt like doin' a bit of porridge in Wandsworth to set a blokes mind right, innit?

Wink

Cheers,

RR

You'd better adam and eve it Rande me old china. I'd rather be brown bread than wind up in the nicker up to my Gregory in tom tit and in a right two and eight. Not me mate. I'm keeping out of barney. And with that, I'm off down the frog and toad to the rub a dub...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Quote :

Brewdude wrote:

Wink

Cheers,

RR

You'd better adam and eve it Rande me old china. I'd rather be brown bread than wind up in the nicker up to my Gregory in tom tit and in a right two and eight. Not me mate. I'm keeping out of barney. And with that, I'm off down the frog and toad to the rub a dub...

Aye me owd Cock Sparrow, tha doesn't want to done a bird for Her Majesty's Pleasure now doesta? Not on your nelly!

Now then, tek it from me lad - don't go takin' your jam jar down to t' boozer and end up Brahms and Liszt. Nay, tha want to ball and chalk on yer dog's meat. Use yer loaf mate. There's a good lad!

Wink

Reminds me of a story, that does-

So there we were, all t'lads proppin' up bar, nicely tucking into our 4th or 5th pint.
Tekin' piss outta one another - tha knows how it is.........

At end of bar stands 'is Lordship. Mutt and Jeff 'e were too. Full as an egg - on Shandy, mind! Ever 'ear of such a thing? By 'eck I don't know....anyroad-

Next to 'im at bar is this big chap. Massive big bloke 'e were too - hands as big as bloody hams an'all!

So, next thing you know 'is Lordship says "By gaw yer right Ernie, they do grow 'em big and ugly around 'ere"!!

Well, bloke turns round, madder than 'ell, and advances on poor owd Bert.

Bert retreats a few steps and says - "Hang on a minute mate - it weren't me as said it - it were me mate David Stick stood 'ere"

We just fell about the place!

Laughing

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Quote :

Brewdude wrote:

Wink

Cheers,

RR

Aye me owd Cock Sparrow, tha doesn't want to done a bird for Her Majesty's Pleasure now doesta? Not on your nelly!

Now then, tek it from me lad - don't go takin' your jam jar down to t' boozer and end up Brahms and Liszt. Nay, tha want to ball and chalk on yer dog's meat. Use yer loaf mate. There's a good lad!

Wink

So there we were, all t'lads proppin' up bar, nicely tucking into our 4th or 5th pint.

At end of bar stands 'is Lordship. Mutt and Jeff 'e were too. Full as an egg - on Shandy, mind! Ever 'ear of such a thing? By 'eck I don't know....anyroad-

Next to 'im at bar is this big chap. Massive big bloke 'e were too - hands as big as bloody hams an'all!

So, next thing you know 'is Lordship says "By gaw yer right Ernie, they do grow 'em big and ugly around 'ere"!!

Bert retreats a few steps and says - "Hang on a minute mate - it weren't me as said it - it were me mate David Stick stood 'ere"

Laughing

Cheers,

RR
Fricking awesome! lol!
I think I got the general idea. mates. What is it, Cockney?
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Lord Guyrox wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Quote :

Brewdude wrote:

Wink

Cheers,

RR

Wink

Laughing

Cheers,

RR
Fricking awesome! lol!
I think I got the general idea. mates. What is it, Cockney?

Yes, Cockney rhyming slang. Plus a bit of the owd Yorkshire dialect!

jocolor

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Gosh, I thought I'd replied to your post Rande, but clearly I hadn't! Mate (sorry, me ol' china), it did make me laugh! Seems you've got the hang of some of Blighty's most traditional dialects! I knew I was taking a punt, but figured you'd know a bit of the cockney rhyming.

LG - as Rande has alluded to, it's mostly cockney rhyming slang. To be classed as a cockney it is said you have to be born within earshot of the bells of the church St Mary-le-Bow in London, otherwise known as the Bow Bells. An example would be...

I went down the frog and toad [road], into the clippety clop [shop] to get some oily rags [fags / cigarettes].

Sometimes these phrases get shortened, eg, 'get that down your Gregory'... a shortened version of 'get that down your Gregory Peck' [neck], ie drink or eat something.

Good. Glad we've cleared that up!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Stick wrote:
Gosh, I thought I'd replied to your post Rande, but clearly I hadn't! Mate (sorry, me ol' china), it did make me laugh! Seems you've got the hang of some of Blighty's most traditional dialects! I knew I was taking a punt, but figured you'd know a bit of the cockney rhyming.

LG - as Rande has alluded to, it's mostly cockney rhyming slang. To be classed as a cockney it is said you have to be born within earshot of the bells of the church St Mary-le-Bow in London, otherwise known as the Bow Bells. An example would be...

I went down the frog and toad [road], into the clippety clop [shop] to get some oily rags [fags / cigarettes].

Sometimes these phrases get shortened, eg, 'get that down your Gregory'... a shortened version of 'get that down your Gregory Peck' [neck], ie drink or eat something.

Good. Glad we've cleared that up!

LG, I've been interested in colloquial UK dialects for a good many years. Specifically the owd (old) Yorkshire dialect as well as Cockney rhyming slang. Plus a few others.

I don't consider myself to be any kind of an authority on these, but do know enough to get by. In most situations, mind.

Stick offered me an opportunity to trot out some of these and I grabbed on with both hands. Hope I did it justice, but there again I'm a septic (septic tank = Yank)!

Wink

I were legless (drunk) and fell down the apples and pears (stairs) and landed on my Dorris Annie (Arse)!

tongue

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:16 pm

oh my.........

I spent some time in elementary/military school when my father was stationed over there, but none of that stuck.

That's some great linguistics there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:45 am

I followed a decent amount of that, maybe. Good show in any case lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:10 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
oh my.........

I spent some time in elementary/military school when my father was stationed over there, but none of that stuck.

Where was your father based OW?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:48 pm

Stick wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:
oh my.........

RAF Lakenheath, as I recall....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:42 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:

Stick wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:
oh my.........

RAF Lakenheath, as I recall....

Ah yes! Right next door to the other American air base in the UK, Mildenhall. A long shot Oz, but our paths may have crossed in the past...

My father and his family were born in Mildenhall before moving to London. Father had many fond memories of this area, and often used to tell the story of his mum, my nan, walking to Lakenheath and Mildenhall to watch the B-17s take off during the war, and of course, watch them return all beaten up.

Anyway, throughout the 70s and 80s we used to return to Mildenhall to visit my great uncles. Who knows, if you were there during this period, our paths may have crossed...

I don't recall seeing any wizards though scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: I spent last night in a prison cell   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:47 am

Stick wrote:
Ah yes! Right next door to the other American air base in the UK, Mildenhall.

Greenham Common? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I spent last night in a prison cell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1