HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Calling all Dunhill Experts - Stem Length of OLD Dunnie?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Calling all Dunhill Experts - Stem Length of OLD Dunnie?   Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi all,

A pipe club friend has asked me to look at an old Dunhill billiard he found at a local antique store. He'd like it restored so he can use it. Research has turned up a date range of 1919-1921.

The pipe is stamped "7" (presumably a shape number?), then

DUNHILL"S "SHELL BRIAR"
Pat Nos. 119708/17 5861/12

No date stamp, no COM stamp

The pipe is in rough shape - the rim is bashed in on the rear edge, the shank needs banding and the stem is a cheap replacement. I think that the stem is actually too short as well - the pipe measures a scant 5.5" in lenght, whereas every early Shell Briar I've found online measures between 5.75" and 6" long.

Can anyone confirm my suspicions about the stem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Dunhill Experts - Stem Length of OLD Dunnie?   Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:05 pm

On the Patent Dunhills the shape number is on the right side (looking down the stem to the bowl) closest to the bowl. If there's a 7 there, that's the shape. As for the stem, thats a crap shoot. No way to tell what the original length was. In general, the Dunhill proportions are quite logical, so if it seems stubby, or leaves you saying "hmm, something's off", it probably is too short.

Oops, I just noticed its a Shell. I get an EFF for reading comprehension today.Embarassed In that case, the shape number will be on the left side (looking at the bottom of the pipe) nearest the heel.

-Yak

Last edited by MisterE on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Dunhill Experts - Stem Length of OLD Dunnie?   Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Calling all Dunhill Experts - Stem Length of OLD Dunnie?   Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:09 pm

Iedited the above post....

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Calling all Dunhill Experts - Stem Length of OLD Dunnie?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1