HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Never really thought I'd live to see this day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:17 pm

17 odd years ago in a moment of utter privation I had to sell off a family heirloom. A near mint Colt military revolver in 38 S&W. It was my Great grandmothers service revolver. She was an MP during WW2. Low and behold browsing through a local pawn shop I spot a very minty looking Colt. Having seen quite a few of these over the years looking to find this gun I've been burned a few times. 90% of the ones I've come across have a British or Australian broad arrow stamped on them. Well I ask to see it. As soon as he took it out of the case I knew this was it. I start looking over the stamping and find the numbers I had burned into my memory all those years ago. After much haggling the gun is off the rack and waiting for my tax return to come in. Once I pick it up I'll post pics. Just thought y'all should know sometimes the hunt takes years but stick with it and eventually you might be rewarded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:20 pm

That's pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:02 am

An amazing find, congratulations!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:03 am

A great recovery, one that must have felt great. Having to cash in a gun really sucks. Please do post pics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:46 am

That is an awesome story. I look forward to the pics! Congrats. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:24 am

That's great! Years ago I had to sell my Mastertone banjo and I've never gotten over it. I have another of the same vintage today, and I'm pretty happy with it, but it's not "my" Mastertone. Glad the Colt has found its way home!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:55 am

That's pretty awesome, glad to hear that it's back where it belongs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Don't ever get me started on having to sell off guns. 15 or so years ago? Let's just say that SOME of them were 4 Colt Gold Cups, 4 Colt SAA's (action tuned by the late Bob Munden), Smith 41, 29, 19, and I'm gonna stop there because the tears are already starting. Oh yes, All wore custom grips (or stocks as he was adamant to call them) by Roy Fishpaw. Yep, you can bet there were a few ivories and I'm proud to say that one of the SAA's wore the very first set of Walrus ivory stocks Roy ever fashioned, so if you ask for a picture of what they look like, more than likely you'll get a picture of my pistol. At least he used it as his stock sample pic for awhile back in the nineties.

Oh Lord, now that my feet are back on solid ground again I still collect those pieces of poetry in iron and wood and a small collection of knives and I picked up this pipe thing and I feel so shameful when my wife starts talking about finances and things of that nature. Does it make me stop? I think you all know the answer to that one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cajun

Registration date : 2013-11-19

PostSubject: Wow   Yesterday at 1:31 pm

I am really glad you got a second chance on that treasured memory, I'm smiling now for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Yesterday at 1:59 pm

Pics? (Can't get enough of Smith revolvers or old .45 autos, speaking for myself.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Yesterday at 7:43 pm

Pics? Well, let me first say that besides being more concerned with shooting them (OKI, and drooling over them) than taking pictures of them, this was back in the day when there were phone booths. I didn't own a phone that was capable of being a camera until they were gone for at least 7 or 8 years!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Yesterday at 7:59 pm

smoker13 wrote:
Pics? Well, let me first say that besides being more concerned with shooting them (OKI, and drooling over them) than taking pictures of them, this was back in the day when there were phone booths.  I didn't own a phone that was capable of being a camera until they were gone for at least 7 or 8 years!

Laughing Or SAAs. I hear ya'. Helluva sad tale. But I was alluding above to the OP. He promised!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Yesterday at 8:16 pm

Doggone it, yer right! I just take everything so personally because that's how the nuns taught me how to live. Regrets and self-flagellation, ad infinitum.

So now let's turn it back on the OP. We want those promised pics or else, buster!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Yesterday at 8:55 pm

smoker13 wrote:
Doggone it, yer right! I just take everything so personally because that's how the nuns taught me how to live.  Regrets and self-flagellation, ad infinitum.

So now let's turn it back on the OP.  We want those promised pics or else, buster!

So? Pictures? Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Never really thought I'd live to see this day   Today at 12:58 am

When I was a kid, 14 or so, there appeared on the gun market a really sweet looking little 20 ga. side by side. The "Quail's Fargo." I was in love. My trusty Weimaraner was in love. But, it was, for a 14 year old, pretty pricey. Years go by, lots of them. I'm at a gun show visiting with the guys I use to do gun shows with. I'm leaving, pause at a table, there's a sweet looking 20. Pick it up...and... its a "Quail's Fargo." That was 10 years ago. I've had it every since. So, sometimes, if you look long enough...it does, magically, appear. Happy your story was good, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Never really thought I'd live to see this day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1