HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 A change in shaving practice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A change in shaving practice   Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:19 am

Bub wrote:
I have been using a safety razor for many years and have been very happy.
Has anyone had the courage to step up their game and move to a straight razor?
I can get a nice shave in 5-10 minutes and don't want to spend anymore time getting a transfusion.

Before being injured, I moved to almost straights-only..it just allowed better control and quite a bit better shave IMO.. I even went a step further (again IMO) and purchased a Feather razor with a Japanese handle, basically a scalpel and half again as sharp as any straight I ever held. As for now, being on narcotics, lyrica, having an uncontrollable quake, and the propensity to fall I laid them aside. Lol. I've for all intent almost quit shaving being brutally honest but I've polluted this thread with tear jerking nonsense enough as it is.

_________________
"Pacem en Puffing!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A change in shaving practice   Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:23 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Bub wrote:
I have been using a safety razor for many years and have been very happy.
Has anyone had the courage to step up their game and move to a straight razor?
I can get a nice shave in 5-10 minutes and don't want to spend anymore time getting a transfusion.

I tried it at the delirious insistence of a friend, and it wasn't as difficult or dangerous as I thought it would be--as long as I was sober and under no mental duress. What did me in was sharpening the dang things. I'm just no good at it and I'm not going to send them away for sharpening. Wa-a-y too much hassle. (My friend sent me razors, stones, leather strop, rouges, etc., and I managed to destroy a good razor. Finito, forever, for me.)

I post way to much in these type threads.   Richard, a brother on site has my Feather AC.   If he doesn't purchase it I will let you borrow it when he returns it.  I'd rather he buy it and get it out of my inventory, lol, but I'll write you down as next.. If you like it I'll offer you the same deal plus 20% because you are kinda douche baggish, but even then it'll be a great price. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy     To me it's superior to a straight, in its own way, with less fuss.  After 420 shave just change the blade.

PS: Don't think you'll get a discount just because you broke an I breakable razor.

_________________
"Pacem en Puffing!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A change in shaving practice   Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:54 am

puros_bran wrote:
...Richard, a brother on site has my Feather AC.   If he doesn't purchase it I will let you borrow it when he returns it.  I'd rather he buy it and get it out of my inventory, lol, but I'll write you down as next.. If you like it I'll offer you the same deal plus 20% because you are kinda douche baggish, but even then it'll be a great price. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy     To me it's superior to a straight, in its own way, with less fuss.  After 420 shave just change the blade.

PS: Don't think you'll get a discount just because you broke an I breakable razor.

Hey, OK, PB--let me know if he doesn't want it. Sounds positively novel, and a great deal. Meanwhile, I'll try to find out what a Feather AC is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider
avatar

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A change in shaving practice   Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:45 am

Don't you'll get scared. Lol


It's basically a scalpel.

_________________
"Pacem en Puffing!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Split between Raleigh, NC and OKC, OK
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A change in shaving practice   Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Been using a 1962 Gillette Fatboy adjustable since forever. I buy my blades from "West Coast Shaving" or "E Barbershop." WCS carries most all varieties including Feather/s. Both carry a huge selection of creams, tonics, razors, blades, strops, balms, after shaves, etc. I buy some of my shaving soaps from "Mama Bears." Great selection of scented glycerin soaps including my favorite, "Old Barbershop." I also use Old Spice brushless and can, Barbasol, Peraso Sandalwood, several from Crabtree & Evelyn, plus a few from "Classic brand" including handmade Woolfat soap (awesome on one's face!!).

I tend to buy blades in "variety" packs. The only blade I truly do not like is the Merkur! Just can't get a decent shave from these blades.

Welcome to the world of wet shaving. You'll never go back!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A change in shaving practice   Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:31 pm

ftrplt wrote:
Been using a 1962 Gillette Fatboy adjustable since forever. I buy my blades from "West Coast Shaving" or "E Barbershop." WCS carries most all varieties including Feather/s. Both carry a huge selection of creams, tonics, razors, blades, strops, balms, after shaves, etc. I buy some of my shaving soaps from "Mama Bears." Great selection of scented glycerin soaps including my favorite, "Old Barbershop." I also use Old Spice brushless and can, Barbasol, Peraso Sandalwood, several from Crabtree & Evelyn, plus a few from "Classic brand" including handmade Woolfat soap (awesome on one's face!!).

I tend to buy blades in "variety" packs. The only blade I truly do not like is the Merkur! Just can't get a decent shave from these blades.

Welcome to the world of wet shaving. You'll never go back!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers FTRPLT

Thanks mate. Ref blades, as it happens the sample pack I ordered arrived today; Feathers, Derbys, Gillette 7s and some Israelis. There's enough there to keep me going for much of the year so we'll see how they go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: A change in shaving practice   Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:32 pm

I've found all this amazement with "wet shaving" rather interesting!! I learned to shave from my father back in '62 when there were probably only 3 or 4 ways most men shaved, brush/soap/ straight razor for my grandfather's generation, brush /soap/shave cream / DE /injector razor for my father's generation , ( I do remember when he tried a Norelco electric razor for awhile, but he said they were worse than not shaving and went back to his DE razor ) and that's what he instructed me with and gave me my first Gillette safety razor and a boar bristle brush and a coffee mug for the soap !! I've been shaving this way ever since except for a short period where I tried some of the more newer cartridge razors and aerosol creams but they just didn't do it for me so my period of use for these items was usually about a week at most !!  I taught all 4 of my stepsons to shave with a brush/soap/and DE razor and gave them ALL their first "set" of these tools and three of them are STILL shaving this way !! ( the fourth died in a car crash 5 years ago)  Just shows that some times , just one way is THE way !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Just an opinion from one of those "old codgers" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Split between Raleigh, NC and OKC, OK
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A change in shaving practice   Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Stick wrote:
ftrplt wrote:
Been using a 1962 Gillette Fatboy adjustable since forever. I buy my blades from "West Coast Shaving" or "E Barbershop." WCS carries most all varieties including Feather/s. Both carry a huge selection of creams, tonics, razors, blades, strops, balms, after shaves, etc. I buy some of my shaving soaps from "Mama Bears." Great selection of scented glycerin soaps including my favorite, "Old Barbershop." I also use Old Spice brushless and can, Barbasol, Peraso Sandalwood, several from Crabtree & Evelyn, plus a few from "Classic brand" including handmade Woolfat soap (awesome on one's face!!).

I tend to buy blades in "variety" packs. The only blade I truly do not like is the Merkur! Just can't get a decent shave from these blades.

Welcome to the world of wet shaving. You'll never go back!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers FTRPLT

Thanks mate. Ref blades, as it happens the sample pack I ordered arrived today; Feathers, Derbys, Gillette 7s and some Israelis. There's enough there to keep me going for much of the year so we'll see how they go.  

Sticker, be careful when first using the Feathers. They be very, very sharp Twisted Evil I use Derby's a lot, darn good blade for the buck...err, pound!!! Enjoy!!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Split between Raleigh, NC and OKC, OK
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A change in shaving practice   Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:19 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I've found all this amazement with "wet shaving" rather interesting!! I learned to shave from my father back in '62 when there were probably only 3 or 4 ways most men shaved, brush/soap/ straight razor for my grandfather's generation, brush /soap/shave cream / DE /injector razor for my father's generation , ( I do remember when he tried a Norelco electric razor for awhile, but he said they were worse than not shaving and went back to his DE razor ) and that's what he instructed me with and gave me my first Gillette safety razor and a boar bristle brush and a coffee mug for the soap !! I've been shaving this way ever since except for a short period where I tried some of the more newer cartridge razors and aerosol creams but they just didn't do it for me so my period of use for these items was usually about a week at most !!  I taught all 4 of my stepsons to shave with a brush/soap/and DE razor and gave them ALL their first "set" of these tools and three of them are STILL shaving this way !! ( the fourth died in a car crash 5 years ago)  Just shows that some times , just one way is THE way !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Just an opinion from one of those "old codgers" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Totally agree with you!! I've brought several youngsters to the "dark side" away from electric razors & high-dollar multi-blade junk. My dear son-in-law finally saw the "light" and joined us wet-shavers Wink

"Old Codgers Rule!!! Razz Razz cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
A change in shaving practice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» PIAT practice bomb
» Formula change how 2 do it????
» Canadian 11 1/2 lb practice bomb
» How to change header text
» How to change forum name?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Life Events-
Jump to: