HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:12 pm

The Standard Tobacco Company tweaked the contents of War Horse Ready Cut after I wrote my original review, which was written before the official release. I have revised it for accuracy.

The burley is toasty, and a little nutty with a strong, bold earthiness. The burley is a little sweet, though I donít notice that particular sweetness as much after a few puffs. The rest of the time youíll discern the other aspects of the burley that I mentioned. It's one of the major components, although the spicy, woody, smoky dark-fired Kentucky kicks in from the start, and youíll taste it all the way through as it grabs your attention a little more than the burley does. It does seem to recede a little in the last quarter of the smoke. The perique isnít always as obvious as it plays a minor part in the proceedings. More often than not, its spicy quality is mildly sublimated by that of the dark-fired. The plum, fig, and date notes it provides are more noticeable to me. The red Virginias are tangy dried dark fruit sweet with a touch of earth in an important support role as it provides a bit of sweetness, which I seem to observe more after the half way point, though itís always there. The sweet topping, which may be anise, competes with the red Virginia in the taste department in the first half, and though the topping weakens just a little after that, it will remain to the end. The blendís strength is a little over the medium threshold while the taste is almost full. The nic-hit is a little more than moderate. Dry out of the tin, it burns well with very few relights, cool, smooth and a little creamy with a fairly consistent complex flavor. A little hydration brings out the flavors more, especially the perique. I suggest a moderate cadence and a wide bowl to heighten the experience. Leaves no moisture in the bowl, produces lots of smoke, and the sweet, spicy after taste pleasantly lingers as it leaves nothing but burnt ash at the finish. Despite its strength, itís almost an all day smoke, and long time smokers may consider it to be one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks for the skinny, Jim. This one has my attention and I'll be picking up a tin sometime in the future.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:12 pm

Another great review Jim! I am really looking forward to this one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:04 pm

A tin of this arrived yesterday, and I ordered the two new Sam Gawith blends today . . . and I had thought I might start catching up on blends I have on hand! Too many blends, not enough time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:40 am

Your review, Mr. Inks, makes acquiring a tin--at least for me--almost mandatory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Ok, I've received my tins of War Horse and smoked my fist bowl. Upon opening the tin I had the impression of moss and fresh leather. There's a subtle fruit top note. But what it is I'm not sure, prunes perhaps. The smell is very earthy. The tobacco is fairly dry straight out the tin and needs no preparation, so I just loaded and lit. Upon lighting I notice that the Burley is not as pronounced as say C&D OJK, nor as in your face as Big and Burley's cigar notes. The dark fired Kentucky mellows it a bit and adds some smokiness to the earthiness of the burley. The perique is very subdued to my taste at first, though it does become a little more evident towards the end. The Virginia adds some grassiness, but not much. There's a bit of an after taste reminiscent of a Connecticut wrapper. It doesn't bite. There's a smoky fruit sweetness to it, again reminding me of prunes. This also was noticeable on my lips. There were no relights for me and it smoked straight down to ash. It's of medium strength and has a fair nicotine hit. I like a more pronounced burley when I smoke a burley blend. But that's just a preference. While this is a fine blend it will be more of a change of pace for me as opposed to a regular tobacco. Those are my impressions for what they're worth. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:46 am

Ok, having smoked this a few times now it's grown on me a bit. Still not at the top of the list, but a pretty good tobacco. I'm really looking forward to the plug when it come out. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:49 pm

Great review Jim. Sounds like it would be my cup of tea. One to investigate further...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:26 am

Thanks for the review Jim! I'm most of the way through my first tin and think your impressions are very similar to my own. I like it.
On the topping, I found it hard to place the flavor. It reminded me of the topping on Bengal Slices but much more subtle. I was told that the BS topping was tonquin, and was going with the idea that Warhorse was the same. Since Ive no experience with tonquin I was hoping someone can confirm or deny. I don't get anise, but wouldn't argue with you about it.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:42 am

MichaelM wrote:
Thanks for the review Jim! †I'm most of the way through my first tin and think your impressions are very similar to my own. †I like it. †
On the topping, I found it hard to place the flavor. †It reminded me of the topping on Bengal Slices but much more subtle. †I was told that the BS topping was tonquin, and was going with the idea that Warhorse was the same. †Since Ive no experience with tonquin I was hoping someone can confirm or deny. †I don't get anise, but wouldn't argue with you about it.
Mike.

I could be wrong on the topping, which is why I added a mild disclaimer. This one is hard to define. Toppings are always the hardest part of a blend to figure out. I've heard several different ideas on what it is, including prune. If there's any tonquin present, it's very minor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:52 pm

JimInks wrote:
MichaelM wrote:
Thanks for the review Jim! †I'm most of the way through my first tin and think your impressions are very similar to my own. †I like it. †
On the topping, I found it hard to place the flavor. †It reminded me of the topping on Bengal Slices but much more subtle. †I was told that the BS topping was tonquin, and was going with the idea that Warhorse was the same. †Since Ive no experience with tonquin I was hoping someone can confirm or deny. †I don't get anise, but wouldn't argue with you about it.
Mike.

I could be wrong on the topping, which is why I added a mild disclaimer. This one is hard to define. Toppings are always the hardest part of a blend to figure out. I've heard several different ideas on what it is, including prune. If there's any tonquin present, it's very minor.

I'm smoking my first bowl right now. I definitely got some anise flavor/aroma when I lit up. I think there may also be some whiskey or rum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:28 pm

fsu92john wrote:
JimInks wrote:
MichaelM wrote:
Mike.

I'm smoking my first bowl right now. I definitely got some anise flavor/aroma when I lit up. I think there may also be some whiskey or rum.

I was mostly sure, but not positive about the anise. I think the essence of rum comes from the interplay of the tobaccos more than it would from a topping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:21 am

I'm glad to hear that toppings can be difficult because I almost never get the same flavors I read about in reviews. Tobbaco flavors are no problem, and a few natural toppings like honey are easy enough. Anise or otherwise, I'm enjoying this blend.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:03 pm

2 bowls into WH so far. Both in my Ser Jacopo Per Aspera Poker/Cherrywood.

Yes, it's certainly dry enough for me right out of the tin. So much so, it requires fairly firm packing so as to avoid burning fast and hot. And even then one has to be cautious as enthusiastic puffing can heat up the bowl temp beyond comfort levels. So this is something that I'm learning as we go along.

I don't really have a long taste description at this point - after all only two bowls in so far. But I will say that it grabbed me right away, in a good way. I pretty much recognize blends that are either going to be right or wrong for me on the first bowl. Ya, some take time to develop into a love affair but I know if I'm kissing a frog or a Prince.

So........at this point WH reminds me of a couple other stout Bur/VA/Per blends that have found favor in chez Brewdude - such as C&D Night Train, GLP Cumberland. Perhaps not quite as stout as those others I've mentioned, but no slouch either. Call it the polite cousin.

Yet it still got my attention. Required more than a few re-lights due to the cut (one does have to pay attention to this to prevent it from going out). The flavor didn't vary much down the bowl, in fact seemed to flatten out more than half way. Still enjoyable, just not as rich or complex on the first half.

I'll be exploring this further during the next days. So far it proves promise.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.   Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Just popped a tin of this I've had for over a year. Yes, it comes a bit dry, but to me the moisture is perfect, and the tin aroma is great. But I swear this is one of the worst tobaccos I've ever smoked. Something in the ingredients is clashing severely with something else. I'm leery of trying a second bowl and have a strong inclination to just toss it. It seems bitter and nicotinic, like a really bad cigar. Maybe it's just a brain synapse not firing right in my skull or something, and it will clear by this evening, but I'm not betting on it. A little off my favored flavor profile I could understand, but this surpasses even Paladin Black Cherry in my hall of infamy. On the other hand, maybe my taste buds are blown to hell. Could happen. Maybe. Smoked in a Ser Jacopo straight apple, in fine clean condition, that has never failed me with anything else. They should have named it Merde de Cheval as being more descriptive, but the name was taken I understand. I've a good notion to smoke four or five bowls of PA to clear my palate.

On the other hand, if you just want a tobacco that looks and smells great, and comes in a semi-interesting tin, then this is for you. Just don't light it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Jim's Revised War Horse Ready Cut Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1