HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tsuge Raijin - Dig it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Tsuge Raijin - Dig it   Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:42 pm

I picked up the Gods Sampler of Tsuge's tobaccos. First one I tried was Raijin. It contains Burley, Cavendish, Perique and Virginia. Tin note is concord grape (real, no artificial) and fresh cow poop (seriously, smells like driving by a dairy farm) which i know is kinda gross but kinda good at the same time. Moisture level was just about right, even a little low. I moved it into a jar and gave it just a little spritz of distilled water. The cut of the tobaccos is a mixture of shag, ribbon and chopped. At initial light the body is mild and flavor is very starchy like bread and finishes like plain cheerios. Once everything warms up a bit going into the 1/4 bowl mark it develops into a mild-medium body with muted cocoa and a mild hotdog (swear to god) with a touch of spicy heat on the back of the tongue. Going towards the 1/2 way point the body builds to a solid medium and a sweetness starts to appear and builds with a dark fruit like prune/date and gets spattered with random appearances of chocolate. Hitting the 3/4 mark the sweetness ramps back down but sticks around and the cocoa ramps up and stays and burned down to the bottom of the bowl.

Interesting smoke, not bite at all, I sipped it slowly and probably used 15 matches, but that's normal for me as I usually smoke close to going out and I never do short puffs to get it burning again so I avoid any burnt flavors. The nicotine is just above medium, I feel it but it didn't knock me down. I just smoked it first thing before breakfast, probably a bad idea. This is probably better suited for an evening smoke. Not a bad smoke at all. Will I buy it again? Probably not, not that it's a bad tobacco, i just like a little bit more sweetness but I can see the appealing to plenty of people who like just a touch of sweetness. Overall it's an excellent tobacco, just doesn't suit my tastes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Tsuge Raijin - Dig it   Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:10 pm

I remember getting that sampler when it came out, but have yet to open them.

Hotdog, you say?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: Tsuge Raijin - Dig it   Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:59 pm

yea, hotdog. weird i know.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Tsuge Raijin - Dig it   Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:31 pm

Sounds intriguing Eric. This was off my radar until now.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Tsuge Raijin - Dig it   Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:01 pm

It sounds like they shoulda called it "State Fair".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

PostSubject: Re: Tsuge Raijin - Dig it   Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Ok, i have to give this a bump, I've had a few more bowls of this. I am LOVING this tobacco. If you haven't tried it and you like VaPers you have to give this a shot. I was a little leery since it was Drew Estate and was scared about them bastardizing it, but it's awesome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tsuge Raijin - Dig it   Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:48 am

Weird how our perception changes over a tobacco.
What I've learned is we need to smoke a minimum of 3 pipefuls, in the same pipe, before we can made up our mind. This is why: the first pipeful still has a ghost of the previous tobacco that was smoked. The second pipeful usually kills the ghost, so we're starting to taste the new tobacco. The third pipeful is now marked completely by the new tobacco. Truly knowing what it tastes like, we can finally start making our mind about it as it's not influenced, anymore, by the previous tobacco.
But that's just my humble personal opinion. Smile
Back to top Go down

Tsuge Raijin - Dig it
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: