HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Cellaring Flake Tobacco

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheLowlyApprentice

Registration date : 2016-02-14

PostSubject: Cellaring Flake Tobacco   Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:10 pm

I'm a newbie pipe smoker and have a question about the best way to cellar flake tobacco.

I've already cellared some ribbon cut tobacco in mason jars, but I have no experience yet in cellaring flake.

Do you try to maintain the flake's structure when putting it in the mason jars, or do you just try to press as much as you can in the jar no matter what happens to the flake structure?

I'm concerned that if I try to maintain the flake's structure when putting it in the jars, that it will leave too much air in the jar leading to a drying out of the tobacco.

Any advice would be appeciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Cellaring Flake Tobacco   Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:57 pm

Because I rub my flakes out before loading my pipe I just pack as much as the jar will hold. I've never had a problem using this method. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Cellaring Flake Tobacco   Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:37 pm

yeah, either cram as much as you can regardless of out come or use jars that are as tall as the flakes are long and you can stand them up in the jar. Or a jar that's half the height and just slice the flakes in half depending on how you're buying. I know SG's 250g packages have pretty big flakes compared to what's in a 50g tin.

Happy cellaring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Cellaring Flake Tobacco   Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:09 pm

Here's my tuppence.......

I find a jar height closest to the length of the flake. My experience relates to Newminster Navy Flake and S.G.'s St. James Flake, being rather longish, I use taller jars than say Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye or Twist Flake, which can be put into even 1/2 pint jars. That way I can put as much as I can without disturbing the presentation form.

Have fun with your stash!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Cellaring Flake Tobacco   Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:36 pm

I cross cut those long bulk bought flakes like FVF, St. James, G&H Grasmere and Brown No.2, (for example) into three pieces and stack them up in jars.

When cellaring, try your best to leave the flakes intact. Since they're pressed, flakes ferment nicely and can get sweeter and more mature tasting faster than ribbon mixtures. At least that's been my overall experience.

As for the headroom issue, I wouldn't worry so much about that. Just try your best to fill your jars appropriately and remember it's best to cellar in small increments. Smaller jars of well-aged tobacco are easier to commit to than massive ones. I try to keep 4 ounce jars loaded with two ounces of tobacco, that way I am not popping the lid on a lion's share of tobacco each time I want to smoke a pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheLowlyApprentice

Registration date : 2016-02-14

PostSubject: Thanks for the advice   Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Many thanks for your advice.

I think I'm going to try to pack the flakes intact as best I can and not worry so much about the residual, unfilled air space.

Again, thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Cellaring Flake Tobacco   Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:32 pm

I'm pretty much on par with what the other fine gents detailed above, so there's not much I can add. Except perhaps that when the quantity in the jar reaches a halfway point or less, I then transfer the contents to a smaller jar to exclude excess air and thus reduce the tendency to dry it beyond that which I find is ideal for me.

Cheers,

RR

Last edited by Brewdude on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Cellaring Flake Tobacco   Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:35 pm

TheLowlyApprentice wrote:
Many thanks for your advice.

I think I'm going to try to pack the flakes intact as best I can and not worry so much about the residual, unfilled air space.

Again, thanks

Oh, and do get yourself over to the welcome wagon and introduce yourself properly.

Wink

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Cellaring Flake Tobacco   Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 pm

I've used a ruler as a ramp to slide flakes down and line them up in the jar. It's easier to keep the flakes intact, store them on edge, and minimize air pockets. I'd also cast a vote for smaller jars. I always get some broken flakes and use them at the top of jars. It gives me some rubbed-out flakes readily accessible when I pop it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Cellaring Flake Tobacco
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1