HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux   Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:18 am

Just read the above, a lovely insight into Eurasian rail travel in the early 1970's. Paul Theroux is father of author and television presenter, Louis Theroux, and more on topic for this forum, a pipe smoker.

I found it a great relaxing read, with such gems as:

"Mr Bernard brought me to the room, and then got a shovelful of hot coals and started a fire in my fireplace, talking the whole time about Candacraig.........The rain hit the windows and I could hear it sweeping across the roof. But the fire was burning bright, and I was in an easy chair, toasting my feet, puffing my pipe, opening my copy of Browning."

Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux   Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Easy chair, pipe, good book, feet warming by fireplace on a rainy day, yup sounds about right to me. Add a nice cup of tea with a splash of cure and it'd be perfect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1