HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux   Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:18 am

Just read the above, a lovely insight into Eurasian rail travel in the early 1970's. Paul Theroux is father of author and television presenter, Louis Theroux, and more on topic for this forum, a pipe smoker.

I found it a great relaxing read, with such gems as:

"Mr Bernard brought me to the room, and then got a shovelful of hot coals and started a fire in my fireplace, talking the whole time about Candacraig.........The rain hit the windows and I could hear it sweeping across the roof. But the fire was burning bright, and I was in an easy chair, toasting my feet, puffing my pipe, opening my copy of Browning."

Highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux   Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Easy chair, pipe, good book, feet warming by fireplace on a rainy day, yup sounds about right to me. Add a nice cup of tea with a splash of cure and it'd be perfect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux
Page 1 of 1