HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:11 am

I didn't know they made the hearth and home blends. I like AJs va/per, Virginia spice and fusiliers ration just fine though. I stand by my statement on the private stock French quarter regardless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:56 am

This thread has been a great follow. It seems, perhaps, that many brands are made at the Sutliff plant. It reminds me of how a great many food products are produced. I will cite only one example, but there is a plethora of them.....

Kraft makes all the boxed macaroni and cheese. But there are many brands of this item. I can't personally eat it due to a food colouring allergy. But the kids, oh, they ate it up. If I was caught using a generic brand, or anything other than Kraft, the kids could 'tell the difference', and turn their noses up. I had a Kraft box that was most likely 15 years old I used as a distraction while cooking, so they would eat the '4 for a dollar' stuff. It looked, smelled and cooked the same as the high dollar stuff...

Packaging is indeed an influence on perceived quality. As I recall, Porsche put Volkswagon engines in some of their rides. The 911 was the same chassis as the Karmann ghia. The VW version was way cheaper than the Porsche though......

Cost is another factor that can influence an opinion. Cheap stuff is 'cheap', and expensive stuff is coveted. Availability may also play a factor in perception of worth. (Esoterica, I'm looking at you).

I checked my history and cellar, and it seems I have no obviously Sutliff tobacco, but that's not to say there isn't any floating about.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
I like R Blend. Sorry to see it go, but as long as there are similar replacements for Revelation, I won't do any hand-wringing. The general blend, regardless of who makes it, is my favorite of all time.

Can anyone explain credibly what they mean by a "chemical" taste? I tend to like all pipe tobaccos, but even the ones that are outright nasty, like Paladin Black Cherry for example, which is grotesquely overdone, don't have what I would call a "chemical" taste. Is someone picking up chlorine or ammonia or something on their palate?

for egr & m79 the tobacco under the topping has a funky taste, almost like the chems you taste in cigarettes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:
I like R Blend. Sorry to see it go, but as long as there are similar replacements for Revelation, I won't do any hand-wringing. The general blend, regardless of who makes it, is my favorite of all time.

Can anyone explain credibly what they mean by a "chemical" taste? I tend to like all pipe tobaccos, but even the ones that are outright nasty, like Paladin Black Cherry for example, which is grotesquely overdone, don't have what I would call a "chemical" taste. Is someone picking up chlorine or ammonia or something on their palate?

for egr & m79 the tobacco under the topping has a funky taste, almost like the chems you taste in cigarettes

I've smoked pounds of EGR, and never got a chemical or cigarette note. I've smoked a little Mixture #79, and noticed a slight syrup at times, but no chemical or cigarette taste. That may be your reaction to American burley.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:59 pm

Yea that's possible, I don't think cigarettes is the right word..sutliff blends taste kind of papery to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:40 am

I generally like a wide variety of tobaccos, from different genres, so I am not extremely picky. However, Sutliff was recommended to me, by a local B&M shop manager, and it is the only tobacco I have ever taken back to the seller, and asked for a full refund.

I didn't hesitate to ask for a refund on the opened tins either. The quality was so bad, I had no conscience.

IMO, if I hesitate to give an honest opinion on a product I have sampled, I do a great disservice to the quality products that some in the industry, work so hard to develop and market.

Since pipe smoking and collecting are my hobbies, and I never hesitate to lay down my hard earned cash for pipes and tobacco, I certainly have no reservations about giving an honest review of either. It reminds me of some of the Scotch and Bourbon reviews we see on You Tube. I sometimes wonder, if there are any offerings they didn't enjoy?

Nobody gets more upset than I, when a quality seller of a quality product gets trashed on a public forum. The reality to it, is that there IS a market for tobacco of this quality, and Sutliff is selling a lot of it. However, I cannot with clear conscience recommend it to anyone, who I am encouraging to continue to participate in the hobby. I could recommend that Sutliff step up their game, but my guess is they like the profits in the league they are playing.

It's like trying to compare Heaven Hill to Four Roses Barrel Strength. Two distinctly different products, marketed to two distinctly different markets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Sutliff either is or isn't the same quality base tobaccos as the other suppliers of tobaccoweed for the pipe. Seems perfectly clear to me, and I shall proceed accordingly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Sutliff either is or isn't the same quality base tobaccos as the other suppliers of tobaccoweed for the pipe. Seems perfectly clear to me, and I shall proceed accordingly.  

What do you smoke?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Jim who originally made EGR was a sutliff back in 1946 when it first came out? I thought it was made by someone else but it smoking pipes says sutliff, probably a mistake right? Who was the og blender?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:40 am

JimInks wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

What do you smoke?

Pretty much everything, including EGR. I was being facetious above, or at least attempting to be.  Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:13 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
Jim who originally made EGR was a sutliff back in 1946 when it first came out? I thought it was made by someone else but it smoking pipes says sutliff, probably a mistake right? Who was the og blender?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
I didn't know they made the hearth and home blends. I like AJs va/per, Virginia spice and fusiliers ration just fine though.

Yep. Virginia Spice is excellent, as are a number of H&H blends.

As far as the Sutliff Private Stock stuff goes, last year I smoked through tins of Breckinridge, Maple Street and Great Outdoors. I enjoyed them all. Breckinridge was a stand out, and sadly it's been discontinued.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:12 pm

thanks jim, did sutliff buy it in the 60s? have yu smoked the og version?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:57 am

Bugsahearn wrote:

I'm not certain when Sutliff bought it. I fairly sure it went to another company inbetween. Seems to me I heard 1974, but I'm afraid to say that declaratively, and I'm not sure when Sutliff acquired it from whoever bought it first. I was told Sutliff is using the original formula, and btw, they pay royalties to Robinson's grand daughter.

I have smoked two different 1960s versions, and still have some left of the early '60s. They taste pretty much the same, though the older one gathered some spice, likely due to age. The topping seems similar, but the new stuff is a little deeper in flavor, and again, I figure some topping may have been lost with age on the old stuff. Funny you ask because I'm going to a show on Saturday and taking some with me, so Ill try again and see how it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:51 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Jevverrett wrote:
I didn't know they made the hearth and home blends. I like AJs va/per, Virginia spice and fusiliers ration just fine though.

Yep. Virginia Spice is excellent, as are a number of H&H blends.

As far as the Sutliff Private Stock stuff goes, last year I smoked through tins of Breckinridge, Maple Street and Great Outdoors. I enjoyed them all. Breckinridge was a stand out, and sadly it's been discontinued.

I have a habit of not going back to line tobaccos once I get burned badly. I notice some lines are more or less the same blend with different toppings. That stuff tore my mouth up badly. It smelled nice enough, but was bland. I don't generally smoke for room note, I go for taste and nic content.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:44 pm

JimInks wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:

I'm not certain when Sutliff bought it. I fairly sure it went to another company inbetween. Seems to me I heard 1974, but I'm afraid to say that declaratively, and I'm not sure when Sutliff acquired it from whoever bought it first. I was told Sutliff is using the original formula, and btw, they pay royalties to Robinson's grand daughter.

I have smoked two different 1960s versions, and still have some left of the early '60s. They taste pretty much the same, though the older one gathered some spice, likely due to age. The topping seems similar, but the new stuff is a little deeper in flavor, and again, I figure some topping may have been lost with age on the old stuff. Funny you ask because I'm going to a show on Saturday and taking some with me, so Ill try again and see how it is.

"Show on Saturday" isn't by chance the Raleigh TAPS pipe show at the fairgrounds????? cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:39 pm

ftrplt wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:

"Show on Saturday" isn't by chance the Raleigh TAPS pipe show at the fairgrounds????? cheers FTRPLT

Yes. I'll be at Basil Meadows' table helping him, smoking outside, and generally finding ways to get everybody arrested. affraid Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.   Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:02 am

JimInks wrote:
ftrplt wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:

Yes. I'll be at Basil Meadows' table helping him, smoking outside, and generally finding ways to get everybody arrested. affraid Very Happy

Well damn Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I'm not going to be there this year; first miss in a long time. Would enjoy saying "Howdy!!" Have fun!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

My review of Sutliff Edgeworth RR match.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2