HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:39 am

About to make an order but want to make sure the 250 gram box is the way to go... the price on this is pretty hard to beat on smokingpipes.com esp compared to the tin price (although tin price is also decent). Tin verse bulk comparable?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on this tobacco... I've only had a 2oz sample and had unbelievable smokes and some not so memorable ones, hoping if I have a larger store of it I can learn to work this va/per to greatness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:11 am

Old Nate wrote:
About to make an order but want to make sure the 250 gram box is the way to go... the price on this is pretty hard to beat on smokingpipes.com esp compared to the tin price (although tin price is also decent). Tin verse bulk comparable?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on this tobacco... I've only had a 2oz sample and had unbelievable smokes and some not so memorable ones, hoping if I have a larger store of it I can learn to work this va/per to greatness.

I've never noticed much of a difference between the tin and bulk version regarding taste, and I've smoked maybe six to ten pounds of it over the years, and have several pounds cellared. Guess that answers whether or not I like it. There were a few times when the batches seemed a little better than other times, but at the least, I always enjoy it.

With age, the Virginia does grow forward just a little, but the perique doesn't seem to diminish much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:20 pm

My guess? The tins will have more moisture, the boxes a bit less. Either way it's a good smoke. I use a lot of glass jars for my weeds, and if a tin is opened it goes immediately to SWMBO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
My guess? The tins will have more moisture, the boxes a bit less. Either way it's a good smoke. I use a lot of glass jars for my weeds, and if a tin is opened it goes immediately to SWMBO.

I have not found much difference in moisture content between the tins and boxes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:03 pm

I can't comment on the comparison Nate, but it's one of my favourite 'baccys. IMO it's a real belter that's never delivered a disappointing smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Stick wrote:
I can't comment on the comparison Nate, but it's one of my favourite 'baccys. IMO it's a real belter that's never delivered a disappointing smoke.

Yeah, think I'm going for the bulk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:50 pm

Old Nate wrote:
Stick wrote:

Yeah, think I'm going for the bulk.
 Smart move.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Only difference is the flakes are cut thicker in the tin. Always go for the 250 box with Sam Gawith, way better price and with the flakes the portions are small in the tin, you could easily smoke thru a tin in a day or two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:49 am

anybody smoked SG Springtime flake? I am a big fan of cabbies and i'm looking for some opinions on this blend. is it very little perique?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
anybody smoked SG Springtime flake? I am a big fan of cabbies and i'm looking for some opinions on this blend. is it very little perique?

I can't comment on the springtime flake but I'm interested to know about the cabbies. I'm loving this St. James flake... sipped nice and slow it delivers tons of great flavor! If cabbies is similar I'll have to get me some!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box   Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:05 am

Cabbie's isn't very similar to St James in my opinion. They are both great but different. Cabbie's is drier, peppery, spicy, a bit salty while St James is kind of wet, it seems like it's cased more in Cab's maybe? St James is a lot more sweet they are both great
Back to top Go down
View user profile

SG St. James Flake tins vs the 250g Box
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1