HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Many thanks to Dr. T for the tobacco.

The Virginia offers a little grass and a little citrus, but it's at least half way buried under the toppings, though there's more of this than there are Kentuckys. The nutty sweet, earthy Kentuckys are more noticeable, but also much subdued. The flowers used seem to be rose and geranium, but I think perhaps others are present either as an ingredient or a topping. I bet my money more on the latter. It's very hard to tell. The nic-hit is just beyond mild. Won't bite even if pushed. The strength and taste are both mild to medium, with the taste being closer to medium than the strength is. Ribbon and lightly moist, it burns at a moderate pace with a cool, clean, very consistent, very smooth deep floral sweetness that never weakens. Has no dull or harsh spots either. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and will burn to ash with just a few relights. Has a pleasant after taste. Made for an experienced smoker, how one rates it will greatly depend on one's preference for heavily floral sweet tobacco products. If you like Lakelands or strong floral blends, there's a chance this might suit you. For that smoker, this could easily be an all day smoke.

Last edited by JimInks on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:09 am

Except for getting some bite, and perhaps thinking the Kentucky a bit more subdued, I pretty much agree with Jim's review. While not weak by any means, I would say the florals are more mellow in this than in something like Grasmere
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:22 am

DrT999 wrote:
Except for getting some bite, and perhaps thinking the Kentucky a bit more subdued, I pretty much agree with Jim's review.  While not weak by any means, I would say the florals are more mellow in this than in something like Grasmere

More often than not, I seemed to notice the Kentucky over the Virginias, but yeah, the tobacco isn't the main thing here by any means. I am surprised you got tongue bite since I never came close to it, but I don't puff very fast. And I agree that the florals are less so than Grasmere. Did you get a feeling of lemon grass at any time? I kind of thought I was tasting it here and there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:34 am

JimInks wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Except for getting some bite, and perhaps thinking the Kentucky a bit more subdued, I pretty much agree with Jim's review.  While not weak by any means, I would say the florals are more mellow in this than in something like Grasmere

More often than not, I seemed to notice the Kentucky over the Virginias, but yeah, the tobacco isn't the main thing here by any means. I am surprised you got tongue bite since I never came close to it, but I don't puff very fast. And I agree that the florals are less so than Grasmere. Did you get a feeling of lemon grass at any time? I kind of thought I was tasting it here and there.

Not really; I'll look for it next time I try some. As for the tongue bite, I think it's in part that I puff harder and part that I just have that reaction to some tobaccos: Sir Walter Raleigh, Half & Half, Edgeworth, Mixture 79, the various Borkum Riffs, Troost Slices yes; Prince Albert, Kentucky Club, Carter Hall no for example.
Back to top Go down
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:39 am

DrT999 wrote:
JimInks wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

Not really; I'll look for it next time I try some.  As for the tongue bite, I think it's in part that I puff harder and part that I just have that reaction to some tobaccos: Sir Walter Raleigh, Half & Half, Edgeworth, Mixture 79, the various Borkum Riffs, Troost Slices yes; Prince Albert, Kentucky Club, Carter Hall no for example.

That's an interesting line up. Do non-OTC burleys affect you the same way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:36 pm

JimInks wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
JimInks wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

Not really; I'll look for it next time I try some.  As for the tongue bite, I think it's in part that I puff harder and part that I just have that reaction to some tobaccos: Sir Walter Raleigh, Half & Half, Edgeworth, Mixture 79, the various Borkum Riffs, Troost Slices yes; Prince Albert, Kentucky Club, Carter Hall no for example.

Almost never anything like some of the OTCs do. I've wondered if it might not be more the additives than the tobaccos
Back to top Go down
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:21 pm

DrT999 wrote:
JimInks wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
JimInks wrote:
DrT999 wrote:

Almost never anything like some of the OTCs do.  I've wondered if it might not be more the additives than the tobaccos

That's what I was thinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 pm

BTW, if any US brother wants to give this import a try, I have enough to send out one more sample. First request gets it.
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:02 pm

DrT999 wrote:
BTW, if any US brother wants to give this import a try, I have enough to send out one more sample.  First request gets it.

Pm sent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:09 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
BTW, if any US brother wants to give this import a try, I have enough to send out one more sample.  First request gets it.

Pm sent.

And received!
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.   Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Thx Doc! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jim's STG Kentucky Bird Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top