HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Purchase of a life Time!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:54 pm

As many know or maybe not so many, I've been driving a 80 Toyota P/U for about 15 or more years now.
It still runs good and gets me from point "A" to "B" but, I wouldn't trust it on a long haul not to mention I crack the windshield swatting at a wasp with my cane. So, it's time I get another P/U cause I aint pay'en $300 for a new windshield for a truck that has seen better days. I looked and looked for a private seller with a decent truck so I could save myself a little money to no avail. Most Yahoo's out in this neck of the woods want $2000 for a truck that won't even roll down the driveway. So dealerships were my only recourse, and by the way I've only purchased one vehicle in my whole life (62 of'em) and they bent me over, so I'm filled with anxiety with a 2006 Ford Ranger in my driveway now. Well, not drive way, under the tree next to the gravel drive. I've NEVER spent anymore then $700 (76 Eldorado) on any vehicle I've ever owned, so this is a big step for me. I also realize to many $300 a month for 2-1/2 years is nothing but, I'm on a limited income and yes I can afford it but, that doesn't seem to matter to my nerves.
Anyone else experience a gut full of nerves over a high dollar purchase they need and liked? Here's a few pics of what followed me home, nothing fancy but, It's like driving a brand spank'en new P/U to me.

Here's what I used to drive so you get the idea of what I'm leaving and what I'm getting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Super sweet rig brother. I had one for 16 years. Only problem I ever had was a little $35 sensor that went out once and the AC needed charging the last 13 years I owned it.
Near the end the starter started to go out and the rear end was squeaking. I was in that position where I had to decide if I wanted to pay for parts & labor or I wanted a car payment. I went with car payment, which I hadn't. I really liked my little ranger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Ron you've done the right thing. For the next few days you'll probably suffer from "Buyer's remorse" but it will pass and soon you'll wonder why you were upset in the first place. It's a nice looking truck and one that will probably last you many years. All you need to do now is go out and wax it up, sit on your porch with your pipe, and look at it. Oh it wouldn't hurt to drive it once in a while just becareful about swatting bugs on the windshield. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks guys, I reckon I'll take it to get washed and detailed and do just that, sit on the porch and look at it.
I only drive about 2 -3 days a month so it's gona need a good wax job to protect it while it sits. At least now if I have to drive, I'll have something nice to drive and when or if I need to haul I can. Wink
Sure hope I get rid of this awful feeling in my gut soon though.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:31 pm

I have an '85 short bed 4x4 that finally threw a rod (or something) and won't go anymore. I love that old truck. Still looking for a 22r for it. Tough in this neck of the woods. STILL. with three quarters of a million miles on it, I would not get rid of it. Ol' Yota will climb trees again and pull civilian Hummers out of it's way.

Not knocking your purchase in any way. I do appreciate all the shtuff on my 2014 Tacoma working without thinking about it. But there is something about those older rigs. Perhaps it's because we worry less about roughing up the wax that no longer exists, or finally getting that seat to fit our glutes...... I dunno. There's something about keeping a jolopy about so if you really need to get somewhere, you know it so well it feels like it has autopilot. It has no brain to fail, no sensors to mess with the program, etc..................

Oh, oh, an edit......

Wing windows? Does old truck have wing windows?

Brother, you just don't see that any more..... Boy I miss those.......

Otherwise, nice new rig! Love the colour! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I have an '85 short bed 4x4 that finally threw a rod (or something) and won't go anymore. I love that old truck. Still looking for a 22r for it. Tough in this neck of the woods. STILL. with three quarters of a million miles on it, I would not get rid of it. Ol' Yota will climb trees again and pull civilian Hummers out of it's way.

Not knocking your purchase in any way. I do appreciate all the shtuff on my 2014 Tacoma working without thinking about it. But there is something about those older rigs. Perhaps it's because we worry less about roughing up the wax that no longer exists, or finally getting that seat to fit our glutes...... I dunno. There's something about keeping a jolopy about so if you really need to get somewhere, you know it so well it feels like it has autopilot. It has no brain to fail, no sensors to mess with the program, etc..................

Oh, oh, an edit......

Wing windows? Does old truck have wing windows?

Brother, you just don't see that any more..... Boy I miss those.......

Otherwise, nice new rig! Love the colour! Very Happy

Well, Sadly my old heap has the 20R dog in it, 90 MPH down hill with the wind push'en ya!
And yes, Wind wings, I also love them. The Only vehicle I've ever had that didn't have them was the Eldorado. They're great to flick ashes out (when I was a cig smoker) cause I hated to use an ashtray and pointed at ya was almost like A/C. And by the way, I smoked non-filters so none of those ugly filter butts were ever left anywhere, specially after I flied stripped them. Anyway, she stills runs like a champ except for being cranky when cold but, there's just more to take care of like front end suspension and now busted windshield then I wish to put in to her.
I know I needed something I could trust on a long trip if I had to and last me maybe a bit longer so I did what I thought I should do. But, I won't miss her, she's too small for even me any longer and frankly she doesn't look so good and never has really to me. I don't like Japanese products and will only buy one if I must. I was in need of a vehicle and my brother in-law sold her to me for a dollar. I've got my dollars worth and now it's time to pass her on to someone else. Of course for a little more then a dollar but, not much more. Wink
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:54 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
Ron you've done the right thing. For the next few days you'll probably suffer from "Buyer's remorse" but it will pass and soon you'll wonder why you were upset in the first place. It's a nice looking truck and one that will probably last you many years. All you need to do now is go out and wax it up, sit on your porch with your pipe, and look at it. Oh it wouldn't hurt to drive it once in a while just becareful about swatting bugs on the windshield. Smile

AJ

What the wise man just said!

Ron, you got yourself a fine looking rig right there and no mistake. And yes, I understand all too well about buyer's remorse.

At the same time it looks like you just got yourself a great ride at a great price!

cheers

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Mighty fine looking pickup you have there, enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Sweet looking Truck Ron. May it give you many great miles. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!
I've never had buyers remorse as you call it so, so I never thought that's what was giv'en my the grief but, I believe your right and look forward to it fading soon. Wink
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:16 pm

I have owned two Rangers, an 88 and a 96. Both were great trucks. I recently sold the 96 which started to show some signs of breaking down, but let me tell you, I drove the bejeezus out of that truck. It's a shame that Ford no longer makes them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:20 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I have owned two Rangers, an 88 and a 96. Both were great trucks. I recently sold the 96 which started to show some signs of breaking down, but let me tell you, I drove the bejeezus out of that truck. It's a shame that Ford no longer makes them.

Yep, great truck. We had a 94 we drove the wheels off. My wife loved that little truck. Our son finally blew up the engine. Had a leaking hose and he kept driving it till he got home. Bummer. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:25 pm

I didn't know they stopped mak'en the Ranger, good to know.
Also glad so many of ya were so happy with yours, that also soothes the nerves. Wink
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Yuppers, I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Rangers... They go forever too! A buddy of mine has had one since high school, and it looks a week old. Easy to maintain, and enough guts to haul a load if needed...

I felt the biggest perk to having a truck is you rarely have to tote other humans about, though if you're not careful you may end up helping folks move...... But that is a story for another time...........................

A buck for a truck? Yah, you definitely got your money's worth!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Yuppers, I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Rangers... They go forever too! A buddy of mine has had one since high school, and it looks a week old. Easy to maintain, and enough guts to haul a load if needed...

I felt the biggest perk to having a truck is you rarely have to tote other humans about, though if you're not careful you may end up helping folks move...... But that is a story for another time...........................

A buck for a truck? Yah, you definitely got your money's worth!  

Got the help thy neighbor move covered nowadays, notice the handicap plate on the Toy? pirat
If I look at a box too hard my back goes out.
Back to top Go down
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:50 pm

I learned how to drive on an '84 Ranger salvaged from the goat pasture... had that tiny ol' 4-banger and a 5 speed manual. For two weeks I had to start it with a screwdriver, as the solenoid had died in it. It was a fantastic truck, rough shape and all. I have always liked Rangers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgtarheel

Registration date : 2011-09-13

PostSubject: Purchase of a lifetime   Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 pm

Nice truck, Ron. Love Rangers, in the last 30 years I have had 2 trucks both of them Rangers. Oh BTY Ford is bringing back the Ranger to the US in 2017. They never quit making them, just quit selling them in the US.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:27 am

The buyers remorse will be gone the first time you decide you absolutely must get somewhere..

Nothing worse than a vehicle that's breaking down around you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:00 am

Sitting in my driveway is a '91 Ranger(bought new fall of 91), 4cyl, 5speed, cruise/tilt/air.. it has 380k miles and runs great (orig engine and trans).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaWarrior

Registration date : 2015-10-19

PostSubject: Great Taste in Vehicles   Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:15 am

Man, I had an 81 yota that I crashed like 4 times, it was a terminator. I also now have a 2002 Ranger, I love it, have had it since 2004. And I wish I had a 76 Eldorado. I have a tattoo of the convertible with my dog driving it. Your truck is NICE, bro.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:18 pm

AlphaWarrior wrote:
Man, I had an 81 yota that I crashed like 4 times, it was a terminator. I also now have a 2002 Ranger, I love it, have had it since 2004. And I wish I had a 76 Eldorado. I have a tattoo of the convertible with my dog driving it. Your truck is NICE, bro.

That explains it. Reading this thread makes me want to go out and buy a friggin' Ranger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:57 pm

Good get, cart!!! I really like the color. cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks guys! Sticker shock is almost at a end. Wink
Back to top Go down
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Lovely looking motor car Ron.

I understand your concerns regarding 'buyers remorse' but as others have said, once you've driven it a few times and enjoyed its advantages over your old truck, any concerns will soon fade away.

As for sitting on your porch looking at it, yes do that for a while. But if I had a new truck like that, I'd be in it driving it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: Purchase of a life Time!   Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Stick wrote:
Lovely looking motor car Ron.  

I understand your concerns regarding 'buyers remorse' but as others have said, once you've driven it a few times and enjoyed its advantages over your old truck, any concerns will soon fade away.

As for sitting on your porch looking at it, yes do that for a while.  But if I had a new truck like that, I'd be in it driving it!

Thank you Stick and I do understand but, we don't drive much anymore cause of my back and the money involved to do so. I got it because I know I need transportation for regular use 3 to maybe 4 times a month, emergencies and in case I need to haul something. With how much I drive nowadays I'm sure this truck will probably out live me. Wink
Back to top Go down

Purchase of a life Time!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1