HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A serene and splendiferous union with nature...sort of

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: A serene and splendiferous union with nature...sort of   Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:32 am

10-4 that Smile The wife and I are planning at taking a good hard look at the Poulsbo/north Kitsap area (including Port Gamble, Indianola, Hansville, Kingston) for retirement in a few more years. We have kids and grandkids in the area and my youngest (who is getting married in June) lives in the Poulsbo area and absolutely loves it. It sounds perfect. I lived in northwestern Washington for a while as a teenager and loved it. The weather suits me, and being able to flyfish for sea run cutthroat wading the beaches of Puget Sound seals the deal.

Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A serene and splendiferous union with nature...sort of   Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
10-4 that Smile  The wife and I are planning at taking a good hard look at the Poulsbo/north Kitsap area (including Port Gamble, Indianola, Hansville, Kingston) for retirement in a few more years. We have kids and grandkids in the area and my youngest (who is getting married in June) lives in the Poulsbo area and absolutely loves it. It sounds perfect. I lived in northwestern Washington for a while as a teenager and loved it. The weather suits me, and being able to flyfish for sea run cutthroat wading the beaches of Puget Sound seals the deal.

All those places are great areas. I lived in Indianola for 8 years when I was with Thomas Kemper Brewing in Poulsbo. What a great little town, with one exception - when we got our frequent damaging windstorms from late Nov-Feb we were literally the last to get power since Indianola is at the end of that grid. But where ever you locate there, make sure to have an emergency genny. Hansville is also at the end of that grid.

As far as where to get Sno Falls Ales, my sales rep said that the QFC in Gig Harbor carries our Wildcat IPA and Copperhead Pale Ale. Plus there's a Bevmo in Silverdale that also has a few of the line.

Incidentally, Sluy's is pronounced "Sly's". And their Maple bars and French doughnuts are also to die for. But the Crunch sticks flat out rock!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A serene and splendiferous union with nature...sort of   Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Wanted to add that for the first month or so of living in WA, I was in Hansville.... literally at the very end of the road just before Hood Canal!

The Thomas Kemper brewery put me and my (former) second wife up in a resort there called "The Last Resort" and it was one of those old fashioned motels where there were individual cabins. Each unit had a small wood burning stove, a tiny kitchenette, and a tiny bedroom and toilet/shower. Very primitive, but it sufficed for the time being.

It was scheduled for demolition shortly after we left for a rental property in downtown Poulsbo (not due to us of course), to be turned into premium priced waterfront homes. But what I came away with from that experience was a love for that area in general.

Hansville is clearly at the end of the road, and during bad weather can be a curse. Yet the natural beauty is not be compared with. On the down side, there are several Rez areas nearby that are a pit, to put it mildly. Hope that's improved since I was last there, but somehow I doubt it.  Neutral

Kingston is also a very nice area. Almost bought a house there. Quite pricey now, as I understand. Just don't locate too close to downtown due to the ferry traffic. During peak times it can be oppressive.

Port Gamble is a treasure. Don't know how it is now, but when I was there it was a jewel in the crown. At least the area around the old mill, which apparently is now shut down. I wouldn't  doubt that it's now thoroughly yuppified. With corresponding prices.

Indianola.....ya I still love that little community even though I left in '98 after 8 years-

The way great 700' dock that goes out into the Sound (don't ever call it a "pier") that once serviced the "Mosquito Fleet".  

The one and only business in town - the Indianola Country Store, still run by husband and wife team Rob and Tia, who took it over a year or so after I came to live there in '90. It's a great place that is a very small grocery (think C-store), fantastic Deli, fresh coffee and camaraderie. It's the quintessential gathering point for the town, and everyone is a regular, even if they aren't!  

I lived up about 4 streets from the beach, in a heavily wooded area. Many of the homes in this area were formerly summer vacation cabins, and the small footprint of them and their lots show this.

Just to the South of the area at the Country Store, the homes are much more modern and the lots there are larger as well. Probably more expensive as well. There is a sand spit there where the houses are very expensive, but I wouldn't live there for love nor money for all the right reasons. But I did exercise my dogs there for many years.

One dark cloud on the horizon was the upcoming White Horse development when I was fixing to leave. This was to be a rather large affair, consisting of a championship golf course, 5-star Hotel, riding stables, and much more. All to be developed on former Pope and Talbot timber acreage. P&T controlled much of the area in the past.

The upshot was that White Horse had the potential to bring in a number of negative issues - from too many people seeking a holiday and all the stresses on the environment and infrastructure, to the negative aspects to bringing in all the foreign grasses for the golf course, and the effects of the pesticides and especially watering could do to the shallow water table. And the inevitable effects on the wells that many had in the area. So ya, it was a very big deal.

I understand that White Horse has now gone forward. All I can say that I'm thankful I'm not there any more as I opposed it on for the right reasons. And no, I'm not a bleeding heart Lib.

So OK, I'll stop now before I write pages. Hope this helps to give you some insight. And if you'd like more input on the area (at least as it once was), I'd be glad to weigh in.

And my apologies to my lengthy hijack of this thread. Feel free to delete it as you see fit.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A serene and splendiferous union with nature...sort of   Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:22 am

I nominate this thread for entry in the Wandering Theme sweepstakes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A serene and splendiferous union with nature...sort of   Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:35 am

Richard Burley wrote:
I nominate this thread for entry in the Wandering Theme sweepstakes.

...especially considering where it started.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html

A serene and splendiferous union with nature...sort of
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2