HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Finally one I'm willing to market

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Finally one I'm willing to market    Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:59 pm

The latest installment. This one has a Vulcanite stem, slightly bent. 6.25 inches long, 2 inches high and 1.5 wide. The bowl interior about 1x1 inches with a slight taper to the bottom. Rusticated Black Walnut with apple wood band. Not sure of the weight but rather light..... I'm actually pretty happy with this one!

Thanks for looking.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:56 pm

Looks great Wiz, reminds me of a hunting horn, though that might be the deer in the background. Wink A good pipe for sitting and pondering with.

Cheers mate

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 am

Well done Ozzie!

sunny

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Sun May 01, 2016 8:59 am

Great looking pipe there Wiz. Like the apple wood highlight. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Sun May 01, 2016 10:55 am

The Wizard has worked his magic again. Well done Bob. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Sun May 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Dang, I hate talented people Razz Razz Razz Mighty fine work there, Mr. Wiz!!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric Furgeson

Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Sun May 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Tis a grand creation you have there Wiz!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Sun May 01, 2016 7:25 pm

So, are you going to list this on the traders or commercial forum Ozzie? What are you looking for $$ wise? You could certainly get what you ask for based on my limited knowledge of your work. In fact that Horn shape seems to define your signature shape as it were, at least in my mind. You have it nailed!

Sadly no, I'm not in the market right now for any pipes/baccy or the like. Yet that design/wood/treatment really catches my attention. Sometime in the future we'll connect on a commission.

In the meantime I hope you get your asking price on this. You're well on your way brother!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Sun May 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Brewdude wrote:
So, are you going to list this on the traders or commercial forum Ozzie? What are you looking for $$ wise? You could certainly get what you ask for based on my limited knowledge of your work. In fact that Horn shape seems to define your signature shape as it were, at least in my mind. You have it nailed!

Sadly no, I'm not in the market right now for any pipes/baccy or the like. Yet that design/wood/treatment really catches my attention. Sometime in the future we'll connect on a commission.

In the meantime I hope you get your asking price on this. You're well on your way brother!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Thanks BD! I haven't actually thought about putting a number to it $$ wise. Really don't know how to 'sell' stuff, you know? And value can be so subjective..............

Regarding the horn shape, yah, I'm having a bit of fun with that. still cussing stems, but getting a feel for the ring grain action. Been playing with a couple of approaches to the Calabash. When I come up with something I'll post it up here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Tue May 03, 2016 9:10 pm

Nice job! Just needs a little "Ginny Weed!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Wed May 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Thanks BD! I haven't actually thought about putting a number to it $$ wise. Really don't know how to 'sell' stuff, you know? And value can be so subjective..............

Regarding the horn shape, yah, I'm having a bit of fun with that. still cussing stems, but getting a feel for the ring grain action. Been playing with a couple of approaches to the Calabash. When I come up with something I'll post it up here.

Indeed it can. Yet anyone that can discern quality from a design standpoint, through proper engineering, and then smokability will grasp the value. And then Bob's yer Uncle!

Our own Ron started out here by offering his fantastic creations for pennies on the dollar. And he has had rave reviews. Perhaps you might consider using that as a guide as you go forward. Or not. Just a suggestion.

I can't help feeling that you are a budding and talented new carver in the world of the craft. You only have to establish yourself.

Just my ramblings, FWIW!

What a Face

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Wed May 04, 2016 8:21 pm

[quote="Brewdude

Indeed it can. Yet anyone that can discern quality from a design standpoint, through proper engineering, and then smokability will grasp the value. And then Bob's yer Uncle!

Our own Ron started out here by offering his fantastic creations for pennies on the dollar. And he has had rave reviews. Perhaps you might consider using that as a guide as you go forward. Or not. Just a suggestion.

I can't help feeling that you are a budding and talented new carver in the world of the craft. You only have to establish yourself.

Just my ramblings, FWIW!

What a Face

Cheers,

RR[/quote]

I'm my own uncle? Cool, I'm my own grandpa too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Wed May 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three
I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be
This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red
My father fell in love with her and soon they too were wed

This made my dad my son-in-law and really changed my life
For now my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father's wife
And to complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy

My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad
And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad
For if he were my uncle, then that also made him brother
Of the widow's grownup daughter, who was of course my step-mother

Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run
And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son
My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue
Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too

Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild
And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild
'Cause now I have become the strangest 'case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa

I'm my own grandpa, I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny, I know but it really is so
I'm my own grandpa

jocolor

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Wed May 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Ozzie, my prior post about Ron's pipes was inadequate and perhaps insulting to Ron. Not at all what I meant. What I was getting at was this-

Ron started selling his pipes at around $100 or less. They were worth at least twice that right out of the chute, and those that bought them gave rave reviews about the way they smoked. He's since revised his pricing accordingly, but still charges far less than what they're worth. I can personally vouch for the performance in the one I have.

You have a unique twist here, based on your choice of local hardwoods like Black Walnut and Osage Orange. No other carver is doing this as far as I'm aware. So, that could be your trademark in the styles you carve so well.

Think about it, anyway. Your website could be OzarkWizardPipes.com, WizardPipes.com or MrWizardPipes.com. Specializing in artisan pipes carved from local hardwoods.

Better register those domains asap.

Basketball

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Thu May 05, 2016 1:11 am

I understood your prior post. And I get that pipe makers have to be known to fetch higher prices. (Though there are some pipes out there WAAAAAY out of line on pricing, IMHO. Ron's work is a thing of beauty, and I think he sells himself short, but that is only my opinion too. I think his pipes stomp on others along the same lines........)

Considering that I've only started to actually sell them a few years ago, and generally only when asked, I have a long way to go. Maybe in 10 to 20 years, I'll get "known". As I have no lathe, drill press, or other tools used by real pipe makers, and I have no set patterns, the bulk of my work is with hand tools, sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease. Time is one commodity I have in abundance. I just like to share.

Marketing is not one of my strong suits. But you are correct I should look into domain names if I plan on pursuing getting my stuff out there. I'm just not sure where to start.

I have thrown out a $60 price out there for the pipe I agreed to sell on the other thread and it was accepted. If it was a matter of time and effort that drove the price on these, they would never move. I set my numbers based on what I personally would pay. I tend to run that way on most of my purchases and estimates for what I'm doing for others. That's how I see it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Eric Furgeson

Registration date : 2016-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Finally one I'm willing to market    Thu May 05, 2016 3:08 am

Well I have to tell you that once you are " known". I plan on bragging about how I had the pleasure and honor of purchasing one of your earily pipes at a excelient price. It it somkes half as good as it looks(and I am sure it will) I am in for a genuine treat from every bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Finally one I'm willing to market
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1