HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Two old cobs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fishnbanjo

avatar

Age : 67
Location : southern me
Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Two old cobs   Thu May 19, 2016 11:35 pm

Today I broke out two of my more than 70 y/o, guesstimate anyway if someone can date them better I'd be happy to hear it, cobs. The first is from Irwin S. Cobb and it has a black decal with yellow, wooden insert at bottom of the bowl and bent amber colored plastic stem. The shank is diamond shaped made from wood but imprinted to appear to be from a cob, the metal cap is chrome plated and some rust appears on it, I am smoking Luxury Navy Flake in it, I only take these out when humidity is perfect, little to no wind and I have time to enjoy them.

The second is from Missouri Meerschaum and the decal is yellow with black script, the model is Radio printed in red. The bottom is wooden plugged, the shank is diamond shaped but it is from a cob, the metal cap appears to be NS, the stem is heavy grade amber colored plastic with an aluminum tenon, I am smoking Luxury Navy Flake in it as well. Cheers and keep it smokey!
banjo





Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 am

Banjo, the Radio pipe from MM was only in production from the 1930's to the very early 1960's. From the description of it it sounds like an earlier model. I'm sure if you contact Marilyn at MM she would be able to narrow it down more than I can. They are great pipes.

As to the Irving S Cobb my best guess would be 1930's-50's. MM bought them out I believe in the 80's but that style was long out of production by then.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

avatar

Age : 67
Location : southern me
Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks for that information it kind of went with what I was thinking, these are special to me and I treat them like my most expensive pipes to ensure a long life. Cheers.
banjo

huffelpuff wrote:
Banjo, the Radio pipe from MM was only in production from the 1930's to the very early 1960's. From the description of it it sounds like an earlier model. I'm sure if you contact Marilyn at MM she would be able to narrow it down more than I can. They are great pipes.

As to the Irving S Cobb my best guess would be 1930's-50's. MM bought them out I believe in the 80's but that style was long out of production by then.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 9:32 am

I'm lucky enough to have one myself. Pretty sure that mines an Irving from your description. It smokes like a dream. Treated well they should last several lifetimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

avatar

Age : 67
Location : southern me
Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 9:51 am

I will photograph them together and broken down. I think others may find them of interest.
banjo

huffelpuff wrote:
I'm lucky enough to have one myself. Pretty sure that mines an Irving from your description. It smokes like a dream. Treated well they should last several lifetimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 10:29 am

Mine was in horrible shape when I got it. I had to replaster sections of the shank (pretty much the whole thing). Unfortunately there's just not enough of the label left for me to know for sure which one it is. The shank is cob but the metal cap is definitely cheap nickel plated steel. The stem is very soft lightweight Amber plastic with no metal fittings at all.

Absolutely would love to get a better look at yours. I'm sure others will find it quite informative as well.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

avatar

Age : 67
Location : southern me
Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 10:39 am

These photos might help.
banjo

Irwin S Cobb on top in all photos:

Side view



Bottom view



Stems removed




huffelpuff wrote:
Mine was in horrible shape when I got it. I had to replaster sections of the shank (pretty much the whole thing). Unfortunately there's just not enough of the label left for me to know for sure which one it is. The shank is cob but the metal cap is definitely cheap nickel plated steel. The stem is very soft lightweight Amber plastic with no metal fittings at all.

Absolutely would love to get a better look at yours. I'm sure others will find it quite informative as well.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 11:00 am

Most helpful indeed. Looks like mine is definitely an Irving. Not sure when they would have used the cob shank. I'll try and get a pic of what's left of the label when I get home.



I certainly don't have that distinctive hump where the shank enters the bowl like the MM has
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 am



Looks like the Irving label
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Split between Raleigh, NC and OKC, OK
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 1:05 pm

Y'all got some nice cobbies there!! I'm only a little bit jealous!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

avatar

Age : 67
Location : southern me
Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Wow, that looks like the bowl is from Irwin, the label as well, it might be a much older version of my Irwin since the stem looks more rugged but it has the same cap as mine. Why this model of pipe, and the Bulldog version, are no longer made astounds me.
banjo
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 2:50 pm

My understanding is they haven't had cobs large enough to even think about these shapes in 30 years. Only recently have they started making bigger pipes again. Like the Mark Twain one they're doing now.

FTRPLT thank you sir. Banjos look like they came out of a museum. Mine was bought knowing it was going to need a full on rebuilding. If you look closely the shank on mine had lost all most all of its plaster fills. One wrong tweak of the material and it would have snapped. The area where it joins the bowl was also badly deteriorated and took many layers of fill material. Now and again you'll see other badly abused ones on the Bay. Some can be fixed and brought back to like others are just too far gone but might provide you with parts.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 3:55 pm

Cracking looking pipes Banjo. It's got me to thinking that my next pipe ought to be a cob as I'm yet to own one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

avatar

Age : 67
Location : southern me
Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Here's the whole kit. I have been asked on many occasions to post photos of my pipe collect, no easy feat I must say. I have decided I can at l at least post my cobs, cheers.
banjo





Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Very impressive cobs you have there banjo. Very impressive indeed. Including and especially the Irwin and MM diamond shanks. First time I've seen a cob used for the shank and it's the perfect addition to the bowl. You lucky dog, you!

cheers


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Just shows if you take care of something it can last a lifetime! Wonderful collection you have there. Very nice............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

avatar

Age : 67
Location : southern me
Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 7:18 pm

Jim,
  I just laid those pipes up against my MM Cobbit and find very little difference in the overall size, in fact if anything the Cobbit is slightly larger.
banjo

huffelpuff wrote:
My understanding is they haven't had cobs large enough to even think about these shapes in 30 years. Only recently have they started making bigger pipes again. Like the Mark Twain one they're doing now.

FTRPLT thank you sir. Banjos look like they came out of a museum. Mine was bought knowing it was going to need a full on rebuilding. If you look closely the shank on mine had lost all most all of its plaster fills. One wrong tweak of the material and it would have snapped. The area where it joins the bowl was also badly deteriorated and took many layers of fill material. Now and again you'll see other badly abused ones on the Bay. Some can be fixed and brought back to like others are just too far gone but might provide you with parts.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
KevinM



Age : 74
Location : Connecticut
Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Fri May 20, 2016 11:41 pm

I got in the habit of "rounding up" tobacco orders by sometimes adding a cob. It looks like I should have begun this practice earlier. But I do have a few cobs that are at least 25 years old and are still in good shape. With a bit of caution, they're surprisingly durable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Mon May 23, 2016 5:23 am

I have a cob bulldog with a diamond shaped shank and yellow stem, same as yours. The "shank ring/fitting" is 14ct gold plated. It smokes latakia like a champ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Mon May 23, 2016 9:01 am

Humm... A corn dog with bling you say?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Mon May 23, 2016 11:04 am

Impressive display of cobdom, Banjo. I once had a HUGE Irwin S. Cobb "pot," I guess you would call it. Well over an inch in chamber diameter, and I'm trying to be conservative in recollection. No idea where they got corn that size for making a pipe. It may have been a radioactive mutant for all I know, because that's the way it smoked. After being lit it would develop a red hot "cherry" right in the center of the bowl, and from that point on you got nothing but hot air to taste. Needless to say, I tried every variety of puffing, packing, lighting, cut, etc. that I knew to change the outcome, but nothing helped. So I tossed it. Wish I had kept it just as an oddity, but back then a pipe to me was just a mundane smoking instrument.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Tue May 24, 2016 3:39 am

huffelpuff wrote:
Humm... A corn dog with bling you say?

Yes! It's been USED quite a lot and it shows. But it's a piece of history, I think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Tue May 31, 2016 2:42 pm

It's a beautiful day for a corn dog. Almost no breeze to speak of and the humidity is perfect. I think I'll load up a bowl of St Andrews and have a nice sit under a tree.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Tue May 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Sounds perfect Jim, but I guess it'll just have to do.

Regards,

Stick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Two old cobs   Tue May 31, 2016 4:03 pm

Slight change in the line up. Switched to FVF as the wind kicked up but I got a nice slow burn out of the cubes I cut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Two old cobs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: