HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Noir Madness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Noir Madness   Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:23 am

Been watching a lot of old Noir films lately, which can be downloaded gratis from Archive.org

Up tonight, a double feature. "Scarlet Street" (1945), and "The Stranger" (1946). Both with Edward G. Robinson.
Trying to get hold of a copy of "The Woman in the Window" at the moment. Dames, crooks, cops, and betrayals. Ah..Noir. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:21 pm

I like 'em too. The Stranger is cool, especially for pipe smoking. I thought Scarlet Street was depressing as hell. Have you seen Touch of Evil? That's supposed to be the classic noir film, or at least so they told me here at the George Eastman House theater in Rochester where I saw it a few years ago. Beware these films, though; after you watch one too many, you start to ask yourself, "Why are these losers acting this way?"  Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
I like 'em too. The Stranger is cool, especially for pipe smoking. I thought Scarlet Street was depressing as hell. Have you seen Touch of Evil? That's supposed to be the classic noir film, or at least so they told me here at the George Eastman House theater in Rochester where I saw it a few years ago. Beware these films, though; after you watch one too many, you start to ask yourself, "Why are these losers acting this way?"  Laughing

Ah yes, with Orson Wells, Ida Lupino, and Charlton Heston as a Mexican policeman. A great film! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Got beaten to the punch with Touch of Evil, one of my all-time favorites, noir or no. If you haven't already watched them, seek out Billy Wilder's Double Indemnity and Jacques Tourneur's Out of the Past. Two top noir classics, but I'm sure you know them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:29 am

Great stuff. Turner Classic Movies is the channel I watch at least 50% of the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:23 pm

babysinister wrote:
Got beaten to the punch with Touch of Evil, one of my all-time favorites, noir or no.  If you haven't already watched them, seek out Billy Wilder's Double Indemnity and Jacques Tourneur's Out of the Past.  Two top noir classics, but I'm sure you know them.

Great recommendations. Here's a review of the latter by my favorite movie reviewer. Love this guy's enthusiasm for, and knowledge of, the films he reviews.

Last edited by Richard Burley on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:56 pm

I love "Double Indemnity", but am going to have to check out "Out of the Past', looks interesting. The "Big Combo" is also good, as well as the noir classic "D.O.A.".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Given the films you've already mentioned, I assume this is unnecessary. All the same, I can't help not mentioning The Big Sleep!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:49 pm

idbowman wrote:
Given the films you've already mentioned, I assume this is unnecessary.  All the same, I can't help not mentioning The Big Sleep!

"Speaking of horses I like play them myself, but I like to see them work out a little first. See if they're front runners or come from behind..." Another brilliant movie. They just don't write dialogue like that much anymore. "In a Lonely Place" is another of the great Bogart films.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:58 pm

The Third Man is a favorite. My father was a military criminal investigator in Austria after WWII, so I have to imagine that was what his experience was like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DGErwin11

Registration date : 2012-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:13 pm

"The Dark Corner". Lucille Ball was so much more than "I Love Lucy".
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://DGEHandmadePipes.com
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOQeqcPocsQ

I love EGR and Fritz but those are not the best noir films. If you want to see some really great flicks and you haven't already check out Black Tuesday with EGR, Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye with Cagney and The Enforcer with Bogie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:14 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOQeqcPocsQ

I love EGR and Fritz but those are not the best noir films. If you want to see some really great flicks and you haven't already check out Black Tuesday with EGR, Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye with Cagney and The Enforcer with Bogie.

Yep, watched it the other night. Great movie. Possibly the worst at being killers ever...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:55 am

Watched "The Stranger" last night. What was the pipe EGR was smoking? Looked like a Charatan After Hours. But I don't believe that pipe was around in 1946.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Tonight's bill of fare? "He Walked by Night", (1948), with Richard Basehart, the admiral from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".

This movie is also available for free download from:

https://archive.org/details/He_Walked_by_Night_1948
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Noir Madness   Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:27 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
Tonight's bill of fare? "He Walked by Night", (1948), with Richard Basehart, the admiral from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".

This movie is also available for free download from:

https://archive.org/details/He_Walked_by_Night_1948

One of Anthony Mann's best noir films. I first watched this as a kid in the 50s as part of a double-bill in a second-run moviehouse. In the scene where Basehart extracts the bullet himself, I could "feel" the pain in his face. I think that scene was "emulated" in No Country For Old Men.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Noir Madness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1