HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

1937 GBD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: 1937 GBD   Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:52 pm

I've been in NJ all week, working 12-13 hour days opening a new Roy Rogers Restaurant in Brick (Tom's River area). I returned home this evening to a nice surprise. I acquired my first hallmarked GBD, a 1937 pipe. This one was listed several times and the seller accepted my offer. I checked with a forum friend on the hallmark, who confirmed the B was a 1937 mark (I'm used to seeing the letter on the right).

The sellers pictures were good, but a little dark. He accepted returns, so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I was delighted to find the pipe in outstanding condition. The briar is nearly without a mark (small chip on the bowl top). The rest of the beveled bowl top looks great, as does the interior (it passes a cleaner without effort). The stem has no teeth marks, but it has been buffed (the rondell). The GBD rondell is much smaller than any of the others in my collection. The GBD briar stamp is faded, but the other side is very good. Fortunately, the hallmarks are in very good shape. The stem fitment is excellent. The button is unlike my other GBD's as well, it's not orific (I do not like them for smoking) but somewhere in between. The stem had a little oxidation, which was easily removed. I didn't do anything to the bowl but lightly wax it with carnuba. I have to admit, I've never been so nervous buffing a pipe as I was with this one. It's a group 5 size pipe, weighing an even 50 grams.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:45 pm

Wow, that is one mighty fine GBD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:53 pm

The year that Amelia Earhart disappeared, the Hindenburg blew up, and somebody made a tobacco pipe. Great example of a classic in awesome condition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Canicus61

Registration date : 2013-10-16

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:29 am

That's a beauty! GBD's are among my favorites....especially the classics like that one - great pickup!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:45 am

Richard Burley wrote:
The year that Amelia Earhart disappeared, the Hindenburg blew up, and somebody made a tobacco pipe. Great example of a classic in awesome condition.

Wow, you are correct. The Golden Gate bridge was completed and Falling Waters was built as well, amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:16 am

riff raff wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Wow, you are correct.  The Golden Gate bridge was completed and Falling Waters was built as well, amazing.

Just curious--are you going to smoke it? That looks like a borderline rack queen to me. There's something about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:22 am

Richard Burley wrote:
riff raff wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Wow, you are correct.  The Golden Gate bridge was completed and Falling Waters was built as well, amazing.

Just curious--are you going to smoke it? That looks like a borderline rack queen to me. There's something about it.

Good question - it definitely will be smoked. The stem and bowl are in excellent condition. It will be used sparingly, but smoked. In fact, the maiden voyage will be this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlG

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Beautiful! Wow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Love old GBDs Smile Smile I am only just a bit jealous!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:57 pm

I hope it smokes as good as it looks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: 1937 GBD   Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:20 pm

DrT999 wrote:
I hope it smokes as good as it looks!
I've smoked it three times, and it is outstanding. I was worried the draft was a little tight, but with a semi-loose pack, it's just right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

1937 GBD
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1